Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Just found a knife on my plane

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2007, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Spiff

A knife is not a credible threat. Knives should be ignored and even permitted as they were 6 years ago before the world lost its collective mind.
Actually, they weren't. Knives with blades under 4" were allowed, but an 8" chef's knife would not have been allowed:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/...in528967.shtml
Old Mar 21, 2007, 3:22 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by blueeyes_austin
And I saw an AK-47 run through an X-Ray machine in PNG. Big deal and has no relevance to the discussion of security measures in the US and Europe.

As far as requiring 100 percent effectivness...it is a common misunderstanding that a security measure needs to be 100 percent successful to be effective. This is not the case.

By the way, what do you and Spliff think you accomplish with your little wink emotes?
In this situation, it is to remind: 1) that it is not I who am peddling a misunderstanding; and 2) that the point was missed, but not by me; and 3) you barked up the wrong tree.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 3:49 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
And you fail to address the substance of what I wrote.
The substance of what you wrote was peddling a misunderstanding, missing the point and barking up the wrong tree, which is why I gave the . Also, I addressed your question. If your question is without substance, that's not my issue.

DHS/TSA is not very effective, actually not effective at all -- just lucky is what they are, given the incompetents who "lead" there.

Last edited by essxjay; Mar 21, 2007 at 3:57 pm Reason: Derogatory attack in removed from previously deleted material
Old Mar 21, 2007, 7:18 pm
Suspended

Well, since my previous post has been disappeared, I'll to to follow up.

You, GU, stated that TSA security is not 100 percent. I pointed out that it doesn't need to be 100 percent ot pose an effective deterrent.

And no, you have NOT responded to the substance of that post.

And mod, if you are going to delete my stuff for a play on a username, I'd sure like it if you disappeared Spiff and GU's stuff where they call those who don't agree with them bigots.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 7:42 pm

You, GU, stated that TSA security is not 100 percent. I pointed out that it doesn't need to be 100 percent ot pose an effective deterrent.

And no, you have NOT responded to the substance of that post.

And mod, if you are going to delete my stuff for a play on a username, I'd sure like it if you disappeared Spiff and GU's stuff where they call those who don't agree with them bigots.
Its the normal double-standard......
Old Mar 21, 2007, 7:51 pm
Suspended

Yeah, I'm noticing that there is a bit of that going on...I came in here innocently enough from a link on the front page. See Spiff and GU ranting on about "Islamophobes" and "bigots" while employing incredibly deceptive techniques of argumentation. I wonder, why doesn't anyone call them on this?

Well, now I know why.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium

I am now truly curious as to how TSA security is not supposed to pose an effective deterrent?
Old Mar 21, 2007, 9:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I am now truly curious as to how TSA security is not supposed to pose an effective deterrent?
I think it IS pretty effective and that the fact that TSA is screening at a higher level is a sigificant deterrent. Whether it is effective or not (that is, if it prevents attacks that would otherwise occur) really depends on a terrorist's assessment of the danger of being caught.

I suspect that, at least as far as activities in the US, AQ and other terrorist cells are fairly risk averse (to keep some capacity) and that as a result the percieved higher chance of failing to execute a mission has indeed prevented terrorist attacks. Certainly the main attacks of Islamic extremists since 9/11 (Bali, London, Madrid) have been against MUCH softer targets (a bar and public trains).
Old Mar 21, 2007, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by law dawg
Its the normal double-standard......
Come now, law dawg, you impress me as someone who, like bart, has an appreciation for critical thinking and logical evaluation. cestmoi123 seems to think that a knife with a less than 4" blade is somehow not a knife. blueeyes_austin seems to think the TSA is an effective screening force, despite published reviews. The FAM force has an abysmal cost/benefit ratio. How can you continue to support the status quo?
Old Mar 21, 2007, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
USA Today article?

I didn't see this referenced in the thread yet, but this story seems to be on the USA Today website now. Here's a link:

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/fligh...t_N.htm?csp=34
Old Mar 21, 2007, 10:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by birdstrike
Come now, law dawg, you impress me as someone who, like bart, has an appreciation for critical thinking and logical evaluation. cestmoi123 seems to think that a knife with a less than 4" blade is somehow not a knife. blueeyes_austin seems to think the TSA is an effective screening force, despite published reviews. The FAM force has an abysmal cost/benefit ratio. How can you continue to support the status quo?
I make no assertions about the relative benefit-to-cost ratio of TSA. I DO assert that the clear and additional screening mechanisms and carry-on restrictions put in place post-9/11 will have necessarily made the terrorists calculation of the likelihood of a successful assault go down. I'm sure there is plenty of room to make the post-9/11 security system more effective and to do so at lower cost--the liquid ban, for example, seems to me to be a highly dubious endeavor. But I must point out, however, that ban was developed on the right side of the pond, not concieved in the minds of TSA bureaucrats.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But I must point out, however, that ban was developed on the right side of the pond, not concieved in the minds of TSA bureaucrats.
It was handed down to TSA bureaucrats by DHS bureaucrats who forced the hand of our compatriots on the right side of the pond. You are barking well up the wrong side of the tree here.

"The clear and additional screening mechanisms and carry-on restrictions put in place post-9/11" has been a clear, effective, and ongoing attack on our economy and political system that you appear to support. Terrorists are not as fixated upon a specific means of achieving their goals as you and law dawg seem to think, they look for targets of unprotected opportunity.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 10:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by birdstrike
It was handed down to TSA bureaucrats by DHS bureaucrats who forced the hand of our compatriots on the right side of the pond. You are barking well up the wrong side of the tree here.
That is incorrect. It was prompted by the British ban on liquids.

As far as the additional security being an attack on our economy, unlikely. If this were so, we would expect to see a diminished demand for air travel and the knock-on negative effects throughout the economy.

Additional security an attack on our political system...well, democracy is not a suicide pact. Closer monitoring of people who choose to go on planes...and a closer inspection of the materials they are bringing on board...seems to me to be a rational response to the attack the US suffered.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 10:38 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Additional security an attack on our political system...well, democracy is not a suicide pact. Closer monitoring of people who choose to go on planes...and a closer inspection of the materials they are bringing on board...seems to me to be a rational response to the attack the US suffered.
I disagree. People who pass the WTMD and have their items x-rayed should never be harassed any further. A chemical test would be idea to add to that, but shoe harassment is pointless.

No one should ever have to show ID. The WTMD/x-ray/ETP should be all any passenger is subjected to.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is incorrect. It was prompted by the British ban on liquids.
Which was forced by our demands to show their hand too early in the investigation.

As far as the additional security being an attack on our economy, unlikely. If this were so, we would expect to see a diminished demand for air travel and the knock-on negative effects throughout the economy.
Well, I won't travel to Europe until this insanity is under control. Not their fault, BTW.

Convince me that we can do this without compromising the Constitution and I'll agree with you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.