Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Do you agree or disagree with the action undertaken by MKEbound?
Agree
75.92%
Disagree
14.27%
Neither agree nor disagree
7.43%
Not sure
2.38%
Voters: 1009. You may not vote on this poll

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2006, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TwinsDG
I have the right to safe travels - I'm not quite sure about the rights of idiots and those intentionally breaking rules and testing those hired to do a job.
Straight, simple and sincere question for you....

What rules did the OP break?
Old Sep 29, 2006, 1:23 pm

Programs: CO PLT, HH DIA
I just would like to fly without attention-seekers trying to get their mug on CNN and doing stupid stuff like this bag thing with the potential to hold up the travels of everyone else following the rules.

I have the right to safe travels - I'm not quite sure about the rights of idiots and those intentionally breaking rules and testing those hired to do a job.

If you don't like the rules, don't fly.
Welcome to Flyertalk.

The problem with your position is that the right to travel, the right to self-expression and the other rights that this TSA screener unilaterally decided aren't valid any more is soemthing that hundreds of millions of Americans hold very dear. If you personally are willing to allow you most basic of rights be trampled by a governental agency without due process, then feel free to join the sheeple who stand in line and allow themselves to be led down thte path.

It's probably a good hting you weren't around in 1776 when the entire place got started off with men who were willing to die for what you feel is patently unnecessary.

--PP
Old Sep 29, 2006, 1:24 pm

Kiss their @$$es and put it behind you.

This is a situation I've learned the about the hard way. I travel out of country a few times a year, and often have to dael with the Customs people in other countries. The only way to extricate yourself from a self-righteous personality disorder with power, is to kiss their @$$ and get through the checkpoint as quickly as possible.

I, too have had occasional encounters with TSA control freaks, and also with US Cutsoms - 40 miles inside the US border (from Mexico). And I was DRIVING back from San Diego to Phoenix when the Customs thing happened.

It's a whole lot cheaper to swallow your pride, tell them what they want to hear, and get out of that situation as quickly as possible.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I just would like to fly without attention-seekers trying to get their mug on CNN and doing stupid stuff like this bag thing with the potential to hold up the travels of everyone else following the rules.

The TSA does a lot of things that are not effective security. Do you justify government waste? If not, why justify TSA waste, including hassling persons for writing down their constitutionally-protected opinion about a political figure?
Old Sep 29, 2006, 1:26 pm

Programs: NW Gold, '06. Good times.

What rule, exactly, was MKEBound breaking?
Old Sep 29, 2006, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ggregl42
OK, I admit it. I am a newbie. I only fly 30-35 weeks a year. Just found this website and I am favorably impressed. Spent a little time scrolling thru this set of posts. Thought I would toss in my two cents worth.

The Bill of Rights is the most important part of the US Constitution, in spite of the actions of the current and several past administrations and congresses.

Having installed security equipment in transportation settings, I can offer my professional opinion that the Department of Homeland Security and TSA are in fact large beauracracies that are designed to off the illusion of security while providing a plethora of good paying gov't jobs and depleting the coffers.

I would feel safer if the went back to allowing us to carry pocket knives and bottled water on board. I can assure you that if I see someone trying to light the latter, I will stop him with the former.

I prefer freedom to security. Life is short and fragile. I will take my chances on the odds, versus ceding my rights to the gov't.

I love my country, but don't trust my gov't. It isn't because I think they are evil or that there is a conspiracy, but because I think it is staffed largely with people who couldn't get a job at Walmart.

Anyone who thinks that there isn't a war going on, is not paying attention. There is a large and growing section of the Islamic faith, that is committed to a Caliphate. They will convert the world to Islam by whatever means necessary or die trying. We do not have that kind of commitment among most of our nonuniformed citizens. It has been growing for 20+ years, it is gaining momentum, 9/11 was just a milestone. It was not the start, it will not be the end.

Greg
Welcome to FT. (I think you'll come to love this board, including the frequent flyer mile and hotel point boards that will help you rack up miles and get better use from them. Check out your favorite airline forum here on Flyertalk.com .) This incident deals with our Bill of Rights, not terrorists -- for there were no terrorists in sight at MKE that day.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 1:27 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JohnneeO
We'll have a lot more posters qualifying for OMNI soon, with all the inflated post counts resulting from this thread!
Don't forget the time restriction as well (to prevent post-padding). 180 days, or something, isn't it?
Old Sep 29, 2006, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
This is less about "15 minutes of fame" than it's about being hassled by government employees for expressing a constitutionally-protected political opinion.
Actually, MKEBound did NOT want the attention and thought about just letting the TSA take care of it.

I think the fame should focus on the issue, which is finally being brought to light. MKEBound just happened to be the person to do it.
Suspended

Originally Posted by hoyateach
What rule, exactly, was MKEBound breaking?
At MKE airport, government employees went on a fishing expedition to see which rule MKEBound was breaking or had broken. They failed to find him in violation of any rule. That's why he's now free.

Programs: CO PLT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by GUWonder
This is less about "15 minutes of fame" than it's about being hassled by government employees for expressing a constitutionally-protected political opinion.
This is actually about the "15 minutes of shame" experienced by the TSA for a screener telling an American Citizen that "you have no rights in here". The OP is exactl equivalent to Rosa Park...he saw a basic injustice, decided that he wasn't having it and has clearly started a massive backlash against hte TSA and their out of control policies and zero accountability.

Some consider him a publicity seeker. I argue that if the TSA had kept their opinions to themselves, he would have just gone about his business and been a lot happier today. In the mean time, thers a word for those who stand up for the basic rights guaranteed to us by the United States Constitution:

"patriot".

--PP
Old Sep 29, 2006, 1:30 pm

Programs: CO Platinum HHonors Diamond Avis President's Club

I would just like to live in a free country without attention-seekers trying to get their mug on CNN and doing stupid stuff like fear-mongering with the potential to defray the rights and freedoms of everyone else.

I have the right to safe travels and what is constitutionally guaranteed to me as a citizen of this country. The fact that you think think citizens who you characterize as idiots and people frustrated with the system shouldn't enjoy the same contitutional rights is disgusting and outright unamerican.

If you don't like the rules, amend the Constitution or move to a fascist state.

What happened to the backbone of people in this country?

peace,
~Ben~
Old Sep 29, 2006, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JohnneeO
Any person and/or institution is capable of violating another's constitutionally protected freedoms. When that actually happens, there is recourse in our judicial system.
No. Only the government is capable of violating another's constitutionally-protected freedoms (except with respect tot he 13th Amendment). The judicial system exists as a check on unconstitutional state action by the executive and legislative branches. However, that doesn't mean that the executive and legislative branches are permitted to exercise power in beyond constitutional limitations. If they do so, they act illegally.

In this case the OP essentially invited an attempt to violate his constitutionally protected freedoms.
Really? I don't recall the OP writing, "Detain me" on his bag. Engaging in political speech is not an invitation to state harrassment -- at least not in the United States.

The fact that the attempt was invited by no means justifies it; but it casts the OP in a role other than "innocent" bystander.
There was no invitation. There was a test -- the OP suspected, correctly, that TSA would act in a fashion prohibited under the Constitution. His act, from a Constitutional perspective, was no different than, for example, Rosa Parks' refusal to sit in the back of the bus. Was Rosa Parks also wrong, in your estimation?

Anyway, his/her rights were not impinged; they were ultimately upheld.
His rights most certainly were impinged. That they might have ultimately been upheld is irrelevant. You don't understand the importance of the restriction on abridgements of speech that is contained int he First Amendment. I'd suggest you do a google search on "chilling effect" (a legal term of art in First Amendment law). I've spent far too much of my morning on this thread as it is, and don't have the time to explain it.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Superguy
Actually, MKEBound did NOT want the attention and thought about just letting the TSA take care of it.

I think the fame should focus on the issue, which is finally being brought to light. MKEBound just happened to be the person to do it.
The OP dealt with the media only after several people here asked that he deal with the press sooner than later since going through the normal TSA complaint channels (or even elected officials) was far less likely to be effective in getting anything besides a meaningless cookie-cutter response.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 1:34 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
(empahsis mine)

The OP was "following the rules." Please explain to me where the OP violated ANY rules? The sole violation I see was attempted by the TSA; namely, preventing the OP from expressing a protected and fundamental right.

I know there's no way you're going to be convinced the OP's "mission" wasn't to "get his mug on CNN," but at least realize the facts of the matter as they stand. There are simply no rules against what the OP did, nor should there be, unless you want to utterly destroy the Constitution and all it stands for.

How did the OP "test" those "hired to do a job?" It's not like he tried to bring even a fake weapon or bomb through security. He didn't even try to bring a prohibited item through. I can't think of any other way to "test" the screeners in the way you seem to believe occured.

Besides, if the TSA officials involved had done the jobs they were hired for, and not strayed into responding negatively to someone's Constitutionally-protected opinion, this thread would not even exist.

It is not, nor has it ever been, against the rules to express Constitutionally-protected political statements like "Kip Hawley is an Idiot" on a bag. You should consider rewording your statement. @:-)
Old Sep 29, 2006, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Andy W. Was Right!

Enjoy your 15 minutes of fame because that's what you were looking for.
Since the OP got to keep his Ziploc, perhaps when he gets famous enough he will auction it off on ebay and give the proceeds to the ACLU.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.