FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   What kind of food allowed on domestic U.S.A. flights? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/598069-what-kind-food-allowed-domestic-u-s-flights.html)

CDTraveler Aug 10, 2006 6:37 pm

What about food?

I've read several articles/links to official rules, and none I've read specifically mention bringing food with you. My concern is not getting the munchies on a short hop, but rather the health problems faced by folks like myself and family members who are on medically restricted diets. The last nine segments we flew had a variety of snacks on offer - and absolutely nothing we could have eaten without serious health consequences. And don't even mention special airline meals - they don't exist in 2006!

Will a doctor's letter/RX get you permission to bring your own food on board? Yeah, I know such a thing would be easy to forge, but what other criteria would be used to decide?

Right now we're trying to decide on a Christmas trip destination - if these rules last, we'll drive instead of fly, despite having miles to burn.

p.s. and for those who would suggest just toughing it out and not eating - medically, that would be a really, really bad idea for us.

UMassCanuck07 Aug 10, 2006 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
I've read several articles/links to official rules, and none I've read specifically mention bringing food with you. My concern is not getting the munchies on a short hop, but rather the health problems faced by folks like myself and family members who are on medically restricted diets. The last nine segments we flew had a variety of snacks on offer - and absolutely nothing we could have eaten without serious health consequences. And don't even mention special airline meals - they don't exist in 2006!

Will a doctor's letter/RX get you permission to bring your own food on board? Yeah, I know such a thing would be easy to forge, but what other criteria would be used to decide?

Right now we're trying to decide on a Christmas trip destination - if these rules last, we'll drive instead of fly, despite having miles to burn.

p.s. and for those who would suggest just toughing it out and not eating - medically, that would be a really, really bad idea for us.

Food is fine as long as it doesn't have a liquid/paste/gel-like consistency.... For example, you cannot take pudding, jello cups, applesauce, etc. through. Solid food is fine still. No mayo packets :(

Sancha Aug 10, 2006 6:40 pm

Food (not in liquid form) is fine. No prescription necessary.

studentff Aug 10, 2006 7:17 pm

I'm planning to bring a five-pound bag of oranges aboard tomorrow in an effort to stay hydrated (or make some $ off other pax depending on my thirst levels. :) )

I'll report on how it goes.

yashan Aug 10, 2006 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by studentff
I'm planning to bring a five-pound bag of oranges aboard tomorrow in an effort to stay hydrated (or make some $ off other pax depending on my thirst levels. :) )

They may make you squeeze out all the juice into a garbage can before going through security and then you'll only have the rinds left to sell to other pax... not much $ to be had there. ;)

Keep us posted though. :)

chicagoflyer1976 Aug 10, 2006 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by studentff

Thats a good idea, I might try that, and then all of the peels and stuff on the plane, just to get the message across that this absolutely ridiculous.

Radiocycle Aug 12, 2006 7:33 pm

If you get a salad (to eat on-board) make sure the dressing is mixed (not in a cup)

If you buy a salad at an airport concession, make sure the salad dressing is already mixed up.

If the salad dressing happens to be "on the side" it will be consider a liquid and your salad will be confiscated.

RC

Buster Aug 14, 2006 12:37 pm

What kind of food is ok to carry on?

I have a series of flights coming up that will have me flying for 8+ hours. I abhor the AA snack box. What is permitted for me to bring on the plane? I wouldn't have thought to ask this but for the amazing bagel & cream cheese story.

Has anyone brought any substantial (not just snack bars) food on board since this craziness started? Just curious what I can manage to get on board.

Thanks.

catocony Aug 14, 2006 12:46 pm

Very dry Christian food, not too heavy as to be a weapon but not light enough to liquify.

Xyzzy Aug 14, 2006 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by catocony
Very dry Christian food, not too heavy as to be a weapon but not light enough to liquify.

Darn ... matzoh *almost* makes it...

catocony Aug 14, 2006 1:03 pm

I was at a kosher restaurant last month with a Jewish friend and the matzah ball I got would have definitely caused some damage as a blunt-force weapon. It would have been easier to eat a baseball than that thing.

HeHateY Aug 14, 2006 1:37 pm

According to other threads in this forum,

No Jelly Donuts
No Cream Cheese
No Peanut Butter

(Seriously!) :rolleyes:

Flaflyer Aug 14, 2006 1:57 pm

Open Wide

What kind of food is ok to carry on?

Used. :D

iluv2fly Aug 14, 2006 2:08 pm

I brought on a whole pizza from the Wolfgang Puck restaurant near K-10 at ORD on Thursday night, even though I was in F. Nobody at AA said a word.

exerda Aug 14, 2006 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
I brought on a whole pizza from the Wolfgang Puck restaurant near K-10 at ORD on Thursday night, even though I was in F. Nobody at AA said a word.

Hey, isn't a pizza usually just covered in things that could be seen as liquids and gels? You MUST be working with the terrorists! :p

SQFreak Aug 14, 2006 2:30 pm

I had no problems carrying a sandwich I bought at MSP through MDW to CLT. FL didn't seem to care in the least.

travelgoddess Aug 14, 2006 3:53 pm

I'd die if no food is allowed.

I'm waiting in fear, hoping that the rules will be relaxed by the time I fly. I have a SE Asia trip coming up. The flights should be almost 24 hours altogether. I was planning on bringing some yogurt with me for my first snack. Then I also need some fruits and food to eat since I can't eat airline foods. It's just that I'm not used to them, not that they are that bad. So now I have no idea what to do. But at least I might be able to bring a good pizza? :)

stinky123 Aug 14, 2006 4:05 pm

Someone needs to bring some durian.

dayone Aug 14, 2006 4:08 pm

No, he/she doesn't.

JDiver Aug 14, 2006 4:27 pm

Nobody even checked to assure you weren't trying to smuggle a binary cheese explosive onboard? ;)

kevinsac Aug 14, 2006 4:33 pm

DEN, Sun 8/13, evening.

Bought a salad, which had dressing in a separate container. United GA said I could not take it on board. TSA said that if I poured the dressing over the salad and tossed it, it would be part of the "food" and not a "liquid." United GA said no.

So, I tossed it. No time to eat before boarding.

Buster Aug 14, 2006 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by kevinsac
DEN, Sun 8/13, evening.

Bought a salad, which had dressing in a separate container. United GA said I could not take it on board. TSA said that if I poured the dressing over the salad and tossed it, it would be part of the "food" and not a "liquid." United GA said no.

So, I tossed it. No time to eat before boarding.

This is what I was worried about...argh!

Yaatri Aug 14, 2006 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by catocony

You mean Christian food, with republican flavour wrapped in red white and blue?

Dromomaniac Aug 14, 2006 6:44 pm

What about solid (block) cheese?

bocastephen Aug 14, 2006 7:23 pm

I had 4 cupcakes from Billy's Bakery (NYC) in my napsack last night (boxed, of course), and there would have been major trouble if they even thought of taking those delicious gems away from me - I would have stood there and eaten them right at the checkpoint.

kaukau Aug 14, 2006 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by stinky123

Durian could cripple a flight.

Dromomaniac Aug 14, 2006 7:31 pm

What about chewing gum?

blort Aug 14, 2006 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Dromomaniac
What about chewing gum?

Please. We've all seen Mission: Impossible. If we allow chewing gum onto planes, it's only a matter of time until Tom Cruise whips a wad at the aquarium and we have fish all over the place. Think of the fish!

rar indeed Aug 14, 2006 8:44 pm

I think we need to figure out which kinds of fruit we can take on board for alternative hydration. @:-)

exerda Aug 14, 2006 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Dromomaniac
What about solid (block) cheese?

Parmesan and other likewise hard, aged cheeses, sure. Others might be a bit too much like gels for the TSA's liking.

Let them confiscate a large block of Limburger, though. I'm sure that will make the rest of their shift memorable as it sits in the bins for verboten items. :eek:

rar indeed Aug 14, 2006 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by exerda
Parmesan and other likewise hard, aged cheeses, sure. Others might be a bit too much like gels for the TSA's liking.

A terrorist could do some serious damage with a wheel of Parmigiano-Reggiano! :D

Flaflyer Aug 14, 2006 9:04 pm

Safety alert

Has TSA noticed this yet? When a human eats Anything, even solids, the process is to chew and liquify it into a paste before swallowing. Said paste being exactly the consistency of a GEL. Thus all food is "Pre gel material" and all eating is "Gel Production" inflight. For the safety of all of us food and eating must be banned immediately.

travelgoddess Aug 15, 2006 9:00 am

Originally Posted by stinky123

I volunteer :p

BlissWorld Aug 18, 2006 10:51 am

Is Food Allowed?

I know we can't bring liquid onboard but how about food, like donuts for instance? I'm going to the East and my friends have been begging me to bring back a box of Dunkin' Donuts :D..... Well, there is a Dunkin' Donuts inside the IAD terminal AFTER security.....will I be able to bring them back?

FWAAA Aug 18, 2006 11:05 am

Yes, donuts are allowed. All food is allowed unless it contains liquid or gel-like consistency items. That rules out all food that isn't fairly dry.

Brought to you by the Terrorism Support (Success) Agency. Inspired by Moron Mineta, Implemented by Comrade Chertoff and Half-Wit Hawley, and accepted by millions and millions of Sheople nationwide.

greggwiggins Aug 18, 2006 11:07 am

From what's being reported, you can bring some donuts but not others.

Jelly donuts, for example, are reported to be forbidden.

I've also seen reports that food purchased inside the secure area is forbidden aboard, but food you bring from home is OK. (???) Somebody can clarify this, I hope.

As for donuts, visit this thread. Message #47 on page 4.

exerda Aug 18, 2006 11:20 am

How about Boston and lemon creme donuts? Technically they should be banned, too, not just the jelly ones.

I would guess that unless someone runs into a gate search that is crazy, they'd be OK. Whether the plane would divert or not when some nosy nervous Nellie sees you eating them is another matter entirely. :mad:

iluv2fly Aug 18, 2006 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by greggwiggins
I've also seen reports that food purchased inside the secure area is forbidden aboard, but food you bring from home is OK. (???) Somebody can clarify this, I hope.

I brought on an entire pizza that I purchased at Wolfgang Puck's onto my AA flight last week at ORD and it wasn't a problem. Well, unless you consider the aroma throughout the plane a problem...

bnarayan1511 Aug 18, 2006 10:12 pm

I brought on an entire pizza that I purchased at Wolfgang Puck's onto my AA flight last week at ORD and it wasn't a problem. Well, unless you consider the aroma throughout the plane a problem...

That's a sticky point with me. I can fully understand the pax who are making tight connections etc. when they bring on food. But I've seen too many people hanging out in the gate area for 30 minutes with a box or bag and then open it up and eat it on board. Why can't you eat it and then board? Is there something special about the "eating on a plane" experience?

Smell of McDonald's fries in a closed cabin is pretty overwhelimg :mad:

SDF_Traveler Aug 18, 2006 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by BlissWorld
I know we can't bring liquid onboard but how about food, like donuts for instance? I'm going to the East and my friends have been begging me to bring back a box of Dunkin' Donuts :D..... Well, there is a Dunkin' Donuts inside the IAD terminal AFTER security.....will I be able to bring them back?

Just don't get Krispy Kreme's with fillings.

For Dunkin' Donuts, please note the prohibited list includes Boston Creme, Lemon Creme, or anything with Jelly on it.

If they discover those, they may have to turn the flight around, divert it, and remove the offending security risk. If necessary, the donuts with the creme filling will be "disrupted" out of an abundance of caution.

According to the TSA website bringing prohibited items to the check-point can result in your arrest and/or a civil fine. The department thanks you for your co-operation and for keeping us all safe. Remember, think of the children. If you do not want to part with your donuts, a security officer will allow you to check them, put them back in your car, or post them. Mail boxes are located near some checkpoints for this convienience.

SDF_Traveler