Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to catch athlete's foot during the shoe removal process at security?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it possible to catch athlete's foot during the shoe removal process at security?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2006, 12:41 pm

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
Originally Posted by Bruiser
Barefoot or with socks?
Crocs
Old Aug 16, 2006, 12:58 pm
Suspended

"And I just have to say, when folks say that vitamins are not necessary as long as you're eating a balanced diet -- the whole point of travel is that it UN-balances your life. You're turning your eating and sleeping habits inside out, so naturally you're more susceptible to illness. I can't think of a situation more tailor-made for extraordinary measures like taking Emergen-C."

If you eat a well balanced diet then there is nothing that Emergen-C is going to do for you. Your body doens't work better when it has more vitamin c than you need. Try filling your car up with 100 gallons of fuel instead of the normal 12 and see what happens. Does your car take more than it can handle? No, the fuel spills all over the place. Your body is the same. If you're not eating right then I'd suggest grabbing a salad before you hit the plane and getting something besides a cheeseburger and fries when you get room service at your destination.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

or go without shoes, as I usually do, and it's no problem! No shoes to take off.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
Originally Posted by richard
or go without shoes, as I usually do, and it's no problem! No shoes to take off.
Just to be fair, you should be asked to remove your feet and put them on the belt.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 5:09 pm

Location: NY by birth, BNA by choice - soon YXE, the SKY by virtue.
It aggrevated the hell out of me that I had to remove my sandals and walk through the screening, which is carpeted at BNA. Also, since I had SSSS, I had to stand there barefoot, repeatedly asking for my sandals back, until they finally gave them to me.

Security my a**!
Old Aug 26, 2006, 9:29 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
There is a theory that the more you dwell on attracting a disease/disorder, the more likely you are to do so.
^ ^ We're all surrounded by other people, bacteria and all sorts of things. if you're not comfortable with that, live in a bubble.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Bruiser
Seriously though, isn't it true that you only catch Athlete's Foot and other fungi from dampness?
no... but keep your socks on and you shoudl be fine. (but throw the socks away afterwards)
Old Jun 26, 2010, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phred
What about your hotel room? More specifically, what about the bathroom and the shower where you are guaranteed to be barefoot?
i certainly don't run around with bare-naked feet at my squash club. not to the shower, and not back to the locker, which is carpeted, and always damp. a lot of the old farts have some form of a nail fungus, which is impossible to cure in about half the cases. i wear some form of cheap shower pull ons at the club. when time comes to wash my feet(usually the third thursday of every month with an E in it) i do it carefully at home, as my wife has that nail fungus, in my shower, not in her bathroom and washing area.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 4:26 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Centurion
some news organizations that have done some investigative stories already.
For goodness sakes - Millions of children on our blue marble don't even have access to clean drinking water and some of us are worried about walking 20 feet without our shoes on? Get some perspective, people.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 4:31 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by gelplanes
no... but keep your socks on and you shoudl be fine. (but throw the socks away afterwards)
Did you notice the thread you bumped up hasn't had any activity for 4 years?
Old Jun 26, 2010, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
Did you notice the thread you bumped up hasn't had any activity for 4 years?
oh, sorry about that... I was about to start a post about someone who caught athlete's foot thanks to TSA checkpoints. decided to search before I post. didn't realize the post was that old.... why doesn't this website use the tool that alert the poster when he/she is about to reply to an old thread that had no activity for more than 180 days?(like most of the other non-aviation forums that I frequently visit) just a suggestion...

(my friend who caught athlete's foot is 90% sure that's where he caught it, because he doesn't ever take off his shoes unless he's certain the floor is clean, except at TSA checkpoints, where he has no choice.... and he flies 3 to 4 times a week for business)
Old Jun 26, 2010, 7:20 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by gelplanes
why doesn't this website use the tool that alert the poster when he/she is about to reply to an old thread that had no activity for more than 180 days?(like most of the other non-aviation forums that I frequently visit) just a suggestion...
That would be a good question to ask in the Technical Issues forum.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 9:10 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As we now have a Travel Safety/Security forum, let's follow the discussion as the thread moves there. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
As we now have a Travel Safety/Security forum, let's follow the discussion as the thread moves there. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
not sure if I should reply to this thread or start a new one. I can confirm that it is indeed possible to pick up athlete's foot from walking barefoot through TSA checkpoint. So glad I no longer have to take my shoes off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.