Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Driver's License - Copies at Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2022, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Driver's License - Copies at Hotels

Mods - please move if not appropriate for here...I did a quick search and didn't find anything similar.

Hotel stay in Connecticut this weekend. FDA scanned my driver's license and made a paper copy of it. I asked why and where is the copy stored? FDA said it was state law and it was retained by the 'manager' in a locked file cabinet for five years.

The only other time, at least that I can recall, that a US hotel has scanned/copied my driver license was a hotel in NJ. In that case, it was a local law enforcement ordnance, apparently due to the proximity of the NJTP. If I recall correctly, the property retained the information for just a few days and showed us a shred bag that was picked-up periodically. One of my team complained about the practice so we stayed in the next township over for the next trip, where the license copy was not required.

Been through 48 states, including CT, in the past. I can't say that this is a common practice. Is there is a list of such ordnances somewhere? Frankly I'd rather leave a copy of my passport as, IMO, the data is less damaging in the wrong hands than a driver's license.

(Yes, I know the car rental companies retain my driver's license data, but I'd like to think it is a bit more secure.)
Shareinfo likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 4:07 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
have to admit, it has been a very long tiime since I stayed in a CT hotel, last time was in Lime Rock for Labor Day vintage car show and races - but do not recall them making copies of a DL. At what hotel did you stay?
Old Aug 1, 2022, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Section 107
have to admit, it has been a very long tiime since I stayed in a CT hotel, last time was in Lime Rock for Labor Day vintage car show and races - but do not recall them making copies of a DL. At what hotel did you stay?
Best Western, Danbury.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 1:04 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

I can't recall a US hotel ever making a copy of my license. That said, it's plausible that it could be a local ordinance, or an informal request by law enforcement.

I personally wouldn't worry too much. Everyone from a car rental agency to the bouncer at a bar scans your driver's license and has the information on it. There is nothing confidential on it.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cbn42
I can't recall a US hotel ever making a copy of my license. That said, it's plausible that it could be a local ordinance, or an informal request by law enforcement.

I personally wouldn't worry too much. Everyone froum a car rental agency to the bouncer at a bar scans your driver's license and has the information on it. There is nothing confidential on it.

Perhaps not confidential in a classified document manner but certainly contains personally identifying information including the holders address. I'm uncomfortable with the idea of others having information that just isn't needed. Do we really need to be tracked every minute of every day?
bchandler02, Spiff and jmrp like this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 8:24 am

It appears CT law requires innkeepers/hotels to keep registration and all other information regarding guests for some period of time. Connecticut General Statutes § 44-4 (2020) - Maintenance of transaction records. :: Title 44, Chapter 763 - Hotels and Other Lodging :: 2020 Connecticut General Statutes :: US Codes and Statutes :: US Law :: Justia

And here is a link to BWs privacy policy, which I have to say, seems refreshingly transparent, up-front, and easily read - unexpected from a big company. Privacy Policy (bestwestern.com)
Old Aug 2, 2022, 8:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I last stayed in a CT hotel before COVID-19, but in roughly annual stays over about fifteen years, I've never been asked for a driver's license. I show my passport card at check in as photo ID and no hotel in CT has even made a copy of it, only a hotel in CA.

Unless it's driving related, I don't show my driver's license. My passport card is my photo ID because it doesn't contain my home address.

BTW, the legal link just says that the hotel must keep a record of registrations (guests names and dates, etc.) and transactions (billing), not anything about copies of driver's licenses.
bchandler02 and Spiff like this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
BTW, the legal link just says that the hotel must keep a record of registrations (guests names and dates, etc.) and transactions (billing), not anything about copies of driver's licenses.
It's even more vague than that - it just says the hotel shall keep records of all transactions and receipts without specifying any particular information. I know some hotels might require proof of being at least 21 years of age at check-in and so maybe keeping a copy of the DL or other ID is how they document minimum age was determined.

In many countries, particularly in the European eastern bloc countries during the cold war, hotels were required to give passports/travel documents to law enforcement each night for state security surveillance purposes. But that certainly is not the situation here.

CT does appear to also have laws that require innkeepers to report to the Health Dept the names and contact info of guests who become ill of certain diseases. Perhaps the OPs issue stems from that requirement during this time of SARS-COV2?
Spiff likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 6:49 am

A CT Quality Inn makes a copy of my ID (Drivers License or Passport Card, latter I've been using more) every time I check-in. Pre pandemic I was Diamond in their program and stayed there almost every other week, the same FDC greeted me by name and still made a copy.

I am using the passport card more and more even to get Claritin-D at the Pharmacy I don't have prescriptions at (use mail order) when they scan your ID.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I used to stay at the Comfort Suites in Danbury pretty frequently and they never made a copy of my driver's license. But this was 2007-2008 or so.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Over the years, I've read that many states and local governments use this scheme as a way to cast a wide net looking for people with outstanding warrants. They do this because nobody has told them to stop. I use my GE card at TSA checkpoints because it has the least amount of PII on it of any card I carry. I'll start doing it at hotels. I forget where I was (Colorado Springs, I think) when I came back to the hotel probably close to midnight. There was a cop car outside. When I entered the hotel, you guessed it: The cop was at the front desk waiting for the clerk to give him all of the DL photocopies for that day.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 8:25 pm

My experience

Originally Posted by lamphs
Mods - please move if not appropriate for here...I did a quick search and didn't find anything similar.

Hotel stay in Connecticut this weekend. FDA scanned my driver's license and made a paper copy of it. I asked why and where is the copy stored? FDA said it was state law and it was retained by the 'manager' in a locked file cabinet for five years.

The only other time, at least that I can recall, that a US hotel has scanned/copied my driver license was a hotel in NJ. In that case, it was a local law enforcement ordnance, apparently due to the proximity of the NJTP. If I recall correctly, the property retained the information for just a few days and showed us a shred bag that was picked-up periodically. One of my team complained about the practice so we stayed in the next township over for the next trip, where the license copy was not required.

Been through 48 states, including CT, in the past. I can't say that this is a common practice. Is there is a list of such ordnances somewhere? Frankly I'd rather leave a copy of my passport as, IMO, the data is less damaging in the wrong hands than a driver's license.

(Yes, I know the car rental companies retain my driver's license data, but I'd like to think it is a bit more secure.)
I searched this topic as it happened to me years ago and I'll never forget it. After i noticed thefront desk, he took a copy ofy dl it seemed unusual so i asked him why he did that and he told me the police required them to. I panicked of course and asked him why and the front desk told me i needed to go to police station. I almost didn't go but once i got to the police station the office told me because the motel was known for prostitution. He wasn't very nice or informative. I almost fainted I didn't know what to do next but it still concerns me.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by lamphs
20 years ago most hotels in Sacramento, CA, required a copy of your driver's license at check-in. Every time I asked why, the answer was that the police required them to make a copy of it. Back then identity theft wasn't as much of an issue, so I didn't press too hard. No idea if they still do it, I haven't been in Sacramento since 2006.

Last edited by CDTraveler; Nov 8, 2022 at 1:07 pm
Old Nov 7, 2022, 6:35 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Identity theft has been a big issue for over 20 years, and for over 20 years I have tried to avoid using driving licenses for hotel check-ins when I can. Actually, I try to avoid having to check-in with any ID presentation if I can help it. “Less is more” for security, when it comes to giving info to hotels. Even physical theft has long been facilitated by unscrupulous use of ID info collected by hotels.
lamphs likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
avoid having to check-in with any ID presentation if I can help it
I have almost a 0% success ratio with that, even on non-prepaid res. I'm sure it doesn't help being a single male in the younger half of the demographic.

IME, chains with loyalty programs always want to see the ID, if not just to verify that it is the account holder that is staying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.