Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Check for Crossdressers

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: SkyMiles, Marriott Rewards, Avis Wizard
TSA Check for Crossdressers

I'm a closeted crossdresser, in other words, I am not out in public dressed like a woman, and am traveling from ATL to PHX next week.
I have never taken any of my female clothes but want to on this trip.
I usually carry on so here is my question:
Being a guy, when my bag goes through the x ray, will they question me on why I have heels and other women's clothes?

Sorry for the off the wall question but I do want to avoid any embarrassment.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:15 am

Programs: DL GM, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
I took home a bunch of my wife's extra clothes and shoes when she stayed behind with kids at the in laws. Sent through a carry on, no issues.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: SkyMiles, Marriott Rewards, Avis Wizard
Good! Would be tough to explain to a co-worker why I have heels in my carry-on lol
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold, HH Gold
Just check them?
Old Aug 2, 2012, 9:34 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by lovely15
Just check them?
Nobody cares about that at TSA checkpoints. They're looking for dangerous items..not clothing. There's no reason to check anything. If you were going through customs and someone opened your bag they may inquire about that (thinking about the movie "Blow" where he was carrying cocaine hidden in a compartment in his suitcase which was full of women's clothing..got a funny look and question from the customs agent but was allowed to continue). But even if you were going through customs there would be no reason to worry.. clothing of the opposite sex isn't on anyone's radar as being an issue. I wouldn't recommend heading to Saudi Arabia with it though..
Old Aug 2, 2012, 11:40 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Agreed with the other responses. US x-ray screening typically doesn't match the person with the luggage except to notify the bag's owner that a bag needs to be rescreened.

Even when additional baggage screening is required, I've never had a TSA agent ask me if everyone whose belongings are in the bag are present during the screening. (In other words, man & woman could be traveling together/have their belongings spread among several bags, if woman gets picked for additional baggage screening, the TSA is unlikely to ask if she has any traveling companions.)
Old Aug 2, 2012, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond
There is nothing illegal about cross dressing or about carrying women's clothing, so there is no problem there. Your question is about avoiding something that would be embarrassing to you.

While there is no way to guarantee anything, there is little likelihood that clothing would set off any questions. When x-ray'ed the TSA does not know whose bag is whose, generally. If they have to open the bag, they ask whose it is, so they would not likely be able to say man's bag or woman's bag as it moves through.

If for some reason they decide to search the bag — likely for reasons such as liquids or something they cannot figure out — they do it over to side (you could ask them to do it if they do not offer) or even privately. This could be embarrassing in its own right, but what is in your bag would be unknown to co-workers.

Bottom line, follow the rules and pack toiletries, electronics, and chargers in your briefcase, and you will likely never have to worry.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 4:00 pm

Like a prior poster, I've brought clothing out for my wife and vice versa. The presence of an opposite gender's clothing in your suitcase is not going to cause alarm. My question is whether you use any padding to fill out your busts. If it contains a liquid, you may run up against the 3 ounce rule.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 12:03 am

Programs: US, UA, Marriott, SPG, HH Silver
I have taken plenty of female items as checked luggage and even crossed customs checkpoints and no one has asked anything. No, they weren't for me, they were usually things that my mom had asked me to buy for her and then fly them with my luggage to Mexico/Panama, but of course, the excuse would work for you.

I would not recommend packing 5" stilettos in your carry-on, as that might get you questioned.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 4:42 am

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
They are so immature that might have a laugh at your expense after you are gone, but who cares at that point.

As long as you are not hiding anything within the clothing it's none of their business what the gender of your clothing is.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 8:02 pm

Programs: None
Carry on with silicone breasts

So I too travel with my femme clothes as well.....I always check my bags, but on a recent trip, decided to do carry on only....well, my silicone breasts triggered a bag check......TSA was very professional, did not ask what they are for, but did check them for explosive residue......felt totally embarrassed.....will always check my boobs from now on...
Old Nov 4, 2019, 9:49 pm

I brought home a BUNCH of corsets for some ladies... (we are all involved in a period reenactment activity) ..The steel corset boning must have looked very odd and they wanted to open the bag and check... As with grtlegs experience they were absolutely professional... I was the one who found it funny! I wouldn't sweat it at all......
Old Nov 24, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Nothing to worry about. Many guys carry female clothing for their families or friends and no one looks at them.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dav662
Nothing to worry about. Many guys carry female clothing for their families or friends and no one looks at them.
Yup--when we pack the idea of his and hers suitcases simply doesn't exist, our stuff is always mixed. There isn't likely to be female clothing in my carryons but that's simply a matter of space--most of my carryon capacity is used up by my camera and my laptop.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 4:20 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I saw a funny incident regarding his and hers. When in early 20s security was strict on asking if you packed the bags yourself, a husband was asked when he was checking his bag and he said yes. The wife ' Oh No'. I packed it for him. Man was clever, he replied " I supervised it" Quick response.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.