Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Possible to take wood (lumber) from Israel to USA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2019, 12:59 am
Original Poster

I do a lot of woodworking, and particularly love working with olive wood (it turns beautifully). I have ended up in Jerusalem for a few days and would love to find some olive wood to take home with me. Is that allowed?

To be clear - I don't want a finished piece of wood - more what I'm looking for is maybe better called lumber. Just a rectangular chunk of wood, likely with some bark still attached.

Is this allowed? I've googled for a while but found inconclusive results.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 5:59 am

Thanks to the massive numbers of forest pests, etc. out there, you need a permit to import unfinished wood (lumber, sticks, etc., as opposed to things made of wood like furniture or picture frames) into the US. So the short answer is no.
Loren Pechtel likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:56 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by uoficowboy
Is this allowed? I've googled for a while but found inconclusive results.
According to the USDA, permits are required for importing of logs, lumber, and other unmanufactured wood products into the United States.

In addition, according to the FAQ page, it would appear that the wood must be quarantined and heat treated before being released from quarantine.

ETA: There are at least a couple of olive wood slabs, blocks and logs sellers with outlets in Texas, Bethlehem Olive Wood Factory and Holy Land Olivewood.

Last edited by TWA884; Apr 29, 2019 at 9:08 am Reason: Additional information
Old Apr 29, 2019, 1:52 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Untreated wood is like a train for pests.
Loren Pechtel and seawolf like this.
Old May 4, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I've brought back small pieces of unfinished wood (larger sticks and chunks of wood), declared it, and after inspection been allowed to keep it. It likely depends a lot on the specifics including origin, species, and state of the wood. I'm not saying you can or can't bring it back, just that the above-cited USDA regulations on wood products are complex and with specific definitions, caveats, and exceptions...pretty hard to state for certain without expertise. You may want to simply contact USDA customer service (below) and find out more definitively:

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/banner/contactus

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.