Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Is entering via PDX, "De-Portland" still hostile/racist to non-citizens?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Recently realized I made a mistake last year when I booked my SEA-LHR-SEA rountrip for 40k Delta miles, because it returns via PDX. Damn!!!

PDX has a bad reputation of downright hostile, racist, crazy, ....... CBP people, giving it the name "De-Portland", well documented back in 2010 on Flyertalk thread and also on recommendation by several attorney - basically if you are not a citizen, don't enter the US through PDX. This is even when you have valid visas and paperwork.

Is this still true? It's too late to rebook at the nice 40k rate, but I'm thinking of canceling the trip.

I'm not white FYI.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: Delta, United
You need to clarify. Are you entering and/or returning via PDX? You have said that you are returning which means one will typically not interact with CBP on exiting. Only on entering.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

I am entering/returning via PDX.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 11:14 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Given the incidents happened nine years ago and there have been no further news reports I would say you will be fine.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:52 pm

Anyone have a link to the original thread mentioned?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
PDX has a bad reputation of downright hostile, racist, crazy, ....... CBP people
It's possible CBP at PDX is the same as everywhere else, but travelers at PDX have a lower tolerance for hostility and/or a higher penchant to complain about it.
FriendlySkies likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:32 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Action

If the OP wishes to report about their experience reentering the US at PDX, he or she can PM a moderator to reopen the thread.

In the meantime, absent any constructive advice, this thread is closed.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.