Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

When to Renew a US Passport Getting Near its Expiration Date?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When to Renew a US Passport Getting Near its Expiration Date?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2018, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Efrem
You will submit your old passport in the renewal process. They will invalidate it by punching two holes in the front cover, right through the machine-readable text at the bottom of the photo page. That makes it useless to carry around. Save it to impress possible future grandchildren with all the places you went before instant teleportation became cheap, as a memento for yourself, or as proof of identity in a few places that don't care if it's still valid or not - but its value as a travel document is zero.
yep I have a box full of all passports I have had continually since my 1st issued in the fall of '68 as a 4 month old

I was just curious as to the renewal process above posted by Kathy. I don't remember having to bring in hotels or plane res and be within 2 weeks of an international trip. That doesn't make sense--I don't want to take a chance if my new one isn't going to be ready in time.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
I was just curious as to the renewal process above posted by Kathy. I don't remember having to bring in hotels or plane res and be within 2 weeks of an international trip. That doesn't make sense--I don't want to take a chance if my new one isn't going to be ready in time.
You don't need any of that (hotel/plane reservations, 2 weeks of an international trip) if you are applying by mail, which is the standard process for an adult passport renewal. The reason that you have to have all of that when you apply in person at a Passport Agency is because the in-person application process there is intended to be reserved for those people who really do have last-minute travel needs come up and need a passport right away.

Basically you're not supposed to go to a passport agency just because you'd prefer to go in person rather than do it by mail (even though many people, myself included, would probably like that) so they impose those restrictions to make sure only those with immediate travel needs go.

Last edited by andrewesque; Sep 10, 2018 at 12:02 pm Reason: Minor details
Old Sep 10, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP; HH Gold; SPG Gold; Hertz Pres
To renew in person you must be traveling within two weeks, otherwise you have to do the mail in option.

Mine was due to expire in April 2019. I travel and work outside the US most of the time. I did not want to be caught in a 6 month validity situation, so I knew I would be stateside a few weeks this month and just did the expedite renewal.

i paid the expedite fee and the extra fee for Express return shipping. I mailed the old one in on a Wednesday and received my new one in the mail the following Thursday (this included the Labor Day holiday in between) So a week door to door.

You can also track your renewal status online and confirm your email online for status update emails.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andrewesque
You don't need any of that (hotel/plane reservations, 2 weeks of an international trip) if you are applying by mail, which is the standard process for an adult passport renewal. The reason that you have to have all of that when you apply in person is because the in-person application process is intended to be reserved for those people who really do have last-minute travel needs come up and need a passport right away.

Basically you're not supposed to go to the passport application center just because you'd prefer to go in person rather than do it by mail (even though many people, myself included, would probably like that) so they impose those restrictions to make sure only those with immediate travel needs go.
Okay that makes sense and chimes with Kathy's they want you to mail message.

I'm going to GDL the weekend of 9/30 and not traveling international until 11/16 when I'm headed to BCN. I will do the mail in right after my GDL trip.

Thanks
Old Sep 10, 2018, 12:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The Passport Agency is for close-in travel only. While I have never heard of anybody who was actually turned away, it is not worth the hassle. Because you are lucky enough to live so close to one, it is your backup should something go wrong with your mailed in renewal between 9/30 and 11/16.

I agree with the recommendation for obtaining a Passport Card at the same time. While you cannot use it for international air travel, it is useful backup ID and serves as easy proof of citizenship should you lose or have your passport stolen while overseas. It serves as the ID I leave at various security check points which require that the ID be left until one exits a building or other facility. If something goes wrong, it's not the sort of a crisis which a DL is.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 1:53 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
I just read that page. In order to get a passport I have to be traveling internationally in less than two weeks? I have to show proof of upcoming international travel even when just applying in person and not by mail? I don't remember that on my.last renewal in phx in 2009.
Originally Posted by andrewesque
You don't need any of that (hotel/plane reservations, 2 weeks of an international trip) if you are applying by mail, which is the standard process for an adult passport renewal. The reason that you have to have all of that when you apply in person at a Passport Agency is because the in-person application process there is intended to be reserved for those people who really do have last-minute travel needs come up and need a passport right away.
Proof of travel within two weeks is not required when applying in person at a Passport Acceptance Facility such as a post office or a county clerk. As far as I know, there is no Passport Agency in Phoenix - there is one in Tucson - so @enviroian's in person application for renewal in 2009 must have been submitted at a US Post Office or an office the Maricopa County Clerk of the Superior Court.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 2:11 pm

Try this website

There is a website that I used and got my passport in a few days. For a fee of course.
It's www.passportsandvisas.com
I don't trust the Post Office, these guys use Fedex (UPS?) and then they walk your documents to the processing center.
They also want you to be within 2 weeks of travel in order to expedite, but i just told them I was willing to pay and they let me. I was about 6 months from travel. I'll use them again for my husband's which is due in 6-7 months.
Great service, highly recommend it.

good luck.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 2:44 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Efrem
You will submit your old passport in the renewal process. They will invalidate it by punching two holes in the front cover, right through the machine-readable text at the bottom of the photo page. That makes it useless to carry around. Save it to impress possible future grandchildren with all the places you went before instant teleportation became cheap, as a memento for yourself, or as proof of identity in a few places that don't care if it's still valid or not - but its value as a travel document is zero.
I use some of my expired/cancelled passports to meet my international travel document needs, and the value they provide: I don’t have to go through yet more visa application processes than I already do (a benefit due to many of the visas in the expired/cancelled passport still being valid for use as a visa); and some of the stamps and other notations in the expired/cancelled passports are still used by foreign authorities for migration-related purposes and/or as proof of identity with foreign authorities under some circumstances.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 3:00 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by GUWonder

I use some of my expired/cancelled passports to meet my international travel document needs, and the value they provide: I don’t have to go through yet more visa application processes than I already do (a benefit due to many of the visas in the expired/cancelled passport still being valid for use as a visa); and some of the stamps and other notations in the expired/cancelled passports are still used by foreign authorities for migration-related purposes and/or as proof of identity with foreign authorities under some circumstances.
Although there's another thread that touches upon the topic, do you know if Saudi visas are still valid even if the passport isn't? Contacting the Saudi missions in the US has proven futile, but that's the least surprising news of the day.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 3:12 pm

You are allowed to hold two (2) USA passports simultaneously. The primary is good for ten years. The secondary is good for two years (unconfirmed that this has recently been increased to five years).

Unless one of mine is unavailable (being used to get a visa), I always carry both of my USA passports.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I just remembered I have a 10 year visa for China in my passport I used last fall for PVG.

Do I rip it out and use flex seal to apply it in new one?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by gqZJzU4vusf0Z2,$d7
You are allowed to hold two (2) USA passports simultaneously. The primary is good for ten years. The secondary is good for two years (unconfirmed that this has recently been increased to five years).

Unless one of mine is unavailable (being used to get a visa), I always carry both of my USA passports.
Just to clarify, it is sometimes possible for an individual to justify holding more than one "second" US passport.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11134954-post10.html

(a) In rare instances, for some rare travelers this may mean
the necessity of issuing more than one “second” passport at a
time. For example, reporters assigned to the White House
“beat” frequently need several passports at a time to keep up
with the foreign visa demands.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Thanks for all the input. I didn't realize Dallas had a passport agency as I've only been here a year. I will get the ball rolling now--might as well.

So say for example a month from now I have a new shiny passport but also my other one that doesn't expire for another 8 months. Travel with both just in case?
Your turn in your old one to get a new one, when it returns it will have a hole punched thru your picture and thru every page (At least all of mine have had that)
Your new one is valid immediately and is good for 10 years (5 years for under 16 I think)
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mnbp
Just to clarify, it is sometimes possible for an individual to justify holding more than one "second" US passport.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11134954-post10.html
The state dept has really really tightened up on that. We go to Muscat and Yemen, plus have an office in UAE, plus other offices in countries who really wouldn't be happy with us traversing there and we were all told no for a second. Typically it is reserved for pilots.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:54 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
I just remembered I have a 10 year visa for China in my passport I used last fall for PVG.

Do I rip it out and use flex seal to apply it in new one?
NO!

You have to carry both old and new passports. Check out this thread:
And from U.S. Embassy and Consulates in China website:
This visa may be in an expired passport if the traveler also carries a valid passport.
But that's a subject for the China forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.