Wiki Posts
Search

Travel with my juggling balls

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2013, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Travel with my juggling balls

Hello everybody,

Here is my question, if you could help, it would be great because. it is my first international journey so I don't have any experience.

In few weeks, I travel from Paris (France) to Bangkok (Thai) including a stopover in Amman (Jordan) and I want to bring my juggling balls.

I am wondering, can I have a problem with the security check?
What is the best "carry on luggage", or "checked luggage".
They are composed by "Millet", it is a kind of small seeds http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millet

You know, I am stressed enough by the airport (find the gate etc) I don't want to get my balls confiscated, or learn that my checked luggage was not in the airplane because "some objects suspects were into"

If you could help me; i would be very thankful

Thank in advance

Regards

Stéphane
Old Jul 10, 2013, 12:51 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Welcome to FlyerTalk with a very interesting question. As for security, they should not be a problem. Connected by a rope, they might be considered a weapon.

I will defer to the more experienced ones here, but my concern is the material. While the balls are not food, they are made from an agricultural product. Should they be declared as such? Or, just say they are wooden balls or nothing at all?
Old Jul 10, 2013, 3:00 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
it would be helpful if you had a picture of the actual juggling balls

your link only goes to what "millet" is.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 4:03 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by squeakr
your link only goes to what "millet" is.
They are probably DX Balls. See here and here for more info.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Sorry I thought I would receive a confirmation when they accepted my thread

Hello;

Thank you for yours answers

Yes the model of my ball is DX

Here is a picture of them with the pocket

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4iJ...it?usp=sharing

size = 68mm (2.67 inches)
What do you mean when you say I am not travelling through USA; would it be different with USA policy

And what do you mean by wooden balls.
I don't want to lie; i have to say which component is into

Thank again and sorry for the delay

Regards Stephane

Last edited by steppp; Jul 12, 2013 at 5:57 am
Old Jul 12, 2013, 8:48 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Ignore the comments about traveling through the US. Those are juvenile attempts at humor and not relevant to your situation.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!ms...4/RBLMuCXq1PsJ
According to this thread, people have not had issues traveling with their juggling balls around the world. If asked what they are, I would just reply that they are juggling balls. No need to provide more information than what is asked for.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HYatt Plat
The most they could reasonably do, aside from the x-ray, is swab them and test for explosive residue.

It's sad that people have to worry about flying with even the most harmless of things these days.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 3:41 am
Original Poster

Yep branderon I agree with you ...

Thank you very much all of you.

Just last question after that I stop boring you: what is the more reasonable checked luggage or with me in the airplane ?
Old Jul 13, 2013, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by steppp
What do you mean when you say I am not travelling through USA; would it be different with USA policy
Stéphane, you and I are in the land of reasonable, quick, professional, consistent and polite screening.

Most of the others (unfortunately for them) are not. In regards to your question about what would be different about flying to/through/from the US:

Even when a rule is clearly stated on the TSA website, it is often interpreted with many variables at US checkpoints. And unfortunately for you and I, furriners are sometimes treated even worse than natives at US checkpoints. There is no prohibition on your balls at US checkpoints (that is now open to a very broad range of childish jokes about male body parts and American airports) But no prohibition doesn't mean that someone may not decide that they present a problem at the checkpoint.

Just be grateful that we are where we are, and that you are not transiting via the US. I try and do whatever I can to avoid doing so although I am still in the US about once a month, and every single time it shocks me to see the difference there at TSA checkpoints.

The only thing which I could see possibly creating a small concern anywhere on your route is the millet, but as it isn't for consumption, I can't see that really being a concern. (And it would be at customs, not the screening checkpoint) I've travelled many times with heating pads containing something similar and those are never an issue at all.

Have a wonderful trip, and welcome to FT!
Old Jul 15, 2013, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Ok ok

So thank you very much all of you, I will give a try and we will see.

Have a nice day and see you around

cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.