Wiki Posts
Search

US Immigration Tips

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2014, 9:57 am
Original Poster

US Immigration Tips

Hi All

This is my first post here although I have taken advantage of the information posted by various Flyertalk posters over the years. I think its about time I make a contribution.

Yesterday I was reading the forum to see what happens if one's passport is not stamped entering the USA. I didn't know when I had to leave the country, whether my 90 days was renewed or not. If anyone else has this issue, here is what I found:
1- Canada, Mexico and close territories are 'generally' not considered leaving the States and going there and back to the States will not renew your 90 days. The wording is generally because I guess it depends on the immigrations officer that readmits you.
2- if you want to check your entry and exist to the USA and how long you can stay, this link may help https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/request.html
Its a government website and you enter your passport details etc and they will tell you exactly what your status is! This was most useful and saved me from panicking over whether I need to leave or can I stay.

Hope this helps.

ps.
Not sure if I posted in the right place.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by GiselleAir
Hi All

This is my first post here although I have taken advantage of the information posted by various Flyertalk posters over the years. I think its about time I make a contribution.

Yesterday I was reading the forum to see what happens if one's passport is not stamped entering the USA. I didn't know when I had to leave the country, whether my 90 days was renewed or not. If anyone else has this issue, here is what I found:
1- Canada, Mexico and close territories are 'generally' not considered leaving the States and going there and back to the States will not renew your 90 days. The wording is generally because I guess it depends on the immigrations officer that readmits you.
2- if you want to check your entry and exist to the USA and how long you can stay, this link may help https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/request.html
Its a government website and you enter your passport details etc and they will tell you exactly what your status is! This was most useful and saved me from panicking over whether I need to leave or can I stay.

Hope this helps.

ps.
Not sure if I posted in the right place.
Welcome!

I've split your post out of the New Member Roll Call thread, as people generally don't look in there for tips or questions.

I'll go ahead and move this over to our Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum, which is tailor-made for topics just like this. (Members responding to this, please note this thread originated in the flame-free Information Desk.)

FWIW, I have a Danish cousin who was in the US on a student visa and wanted to stick around for a couple of months for touring after school finished. He visited Canada for a few days and then returned to the US on a tourist visa. I don't know if that has any applicability to your post, but I just wanted to throw that out there.

Best,
jackal
Moderator, Information Desk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.