FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   help with packing and declaring food/meds, and that 311 bag (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1289142-help-packing-declaring-food-meds-311-bag.html)

jperiod Dec 8, 2011 4:13 pm

help with packing and declaring food/meds, and that 311 bag

I have an infant and a 6 yo, I'm going to attempt to pack a little food for them (sandwich/carrots/applesauce). I also have some meds that need ice packs, as well as some liquid cough syrup (3 out of 4 of us have colds right now :().

I can put the food/meds together with the ice packs in my diaperbag. Do I take it out of the bag before screening? Or just tell them they're in there?

The cough syrup would just be in our backpacks. Do I need to take it out before? Just tell them it's in there?

On the clear liquids bags, do all my items need to lay flat in that bag or can I pack it full as long as I get the zipper closed? I was thinking I could transfer the cough syrup to smaller bottles if it would be less TSA fuss, but I'm not sure I have enough room in the bag if it needs to lay flat.

Lastly, does chapstick go in the 311 bag or can I just keep that in my diaper bag?

Loren Pechtel Dec 9, 2011 1:15 am

I've carried Chapstick on every flight I've taken since the liquid ban came along. It's never been in the 311 bag, it's never been questioned.

mikeef Dec 9, 2011 9:14 am

Originally Posted by jperiod (Post 17592004)
I have an infant and a 6 yo, I'm going to attempt to pack a little food for them (sandwich/carrots/applesauce). I also have some meds that need ice packs, as well as some liquid cough syrup (3 out of 4 of us have colds right now :().

I can put the food/meds together with the ice packs in my diaperbag. Do I take it out of the bag before screening? Or just tell them they're in there?

The cough syrup would just be in our backpacks. Do I need to take it out before? Just tell them it's in there?

On the clear liquids bags, do all my items need to lay flat in that bag or can I pack it full as long as I get the zipper closed? I was thinking I could transfer the cough syrup to smaller bottles if it would be less TSA fuss, but I'm not sure I have enough room in the bag if it needs to lay flat.

Lastly, does chapstick go in the 311 bag or can I just keep that in my diaper bag?

We put all the kids' stuff in a separate bag and just explain it's for them. No problem. I'd take the medicine out, also.

As for the plastic bag, I've never had a problem with it, no matter how full it's stuffed. Most FTers will tell you that they don't even take the Kippie bag out anymore.

Mike