Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

help with packing and declaring food/meds, and that 311 bag

Old Dec 8, 11, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

I have an infant and a 6 yo, I'm going to attempt to pack a little food for them (sandwich/carrots/applesauce). I also have some meds that need ice packs, as well as some liquid cough syrup (3 out of 4 of us have colds right now ).

I can put the food/meds together with the ice packs in my diaperbag. Do I take it out of the bag before screening? Or just tell them they're in there?

The cough syrup would just be in our backpacks. Do I need to take it out before? Just tell them it's in there?

On the clear liquids bags, do all my items need to lay flat in that bag or can I pack it full as long as I get the zipper closed? I was thinking I could transfer the cough syrup to smaller bottles if it would be less TSA fuss, but I'm not sure I have enough room in the bag if it needs to lay flat.

Lastly, does chapstick go in the 311 bag or can I just keep that in my diaper bag?
Old Dec 9, 11, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've carried Chapstick on every flight I've taken since the liquid ban came along. It's never been in the 311 bag, it's never been questioned.
Old Dec 9, 11, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by jperiod View Post
I have an infant and a 6 yo, I'm going to attempt to pack a little food for them (sandwich/carrots/applesauce). I also have some meds that need ice packs, as well as some liquid cough syrup (3 out of 4 of us have colds right now ).

I can put the food/meds together with the ice packs in my diaperbag. Do I take it out of the bag before screening? Or just tell them they're in there?

The cough syrup would just be in our backpacks. Do I need to take it out before? Just tell them it's in there?

On the clear liquids bags, do all my items need to lay flat in that bag or can I pack it full as long as I get the zipper closed? I was thinking I could transfer the cough syrup to smaller bottles if it would be less TSA fuss, but I'm not sure I have enough room in the bag if it needs to lay flat.

Lastly, does chapstick go in the 311 bag or can I just keep that in my diaper bag?
We put all the kids' stuff in a separate bag and just explain it's for them. No problem. I'd take the medicine out, also.

As for the plastic bag, I've never had a problem with it, no matter how full it's stuffed. Most FTers will tell you that they don't even take the Kippie bag out anymore.

Mike

Search this Thread
Search Engine: