Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Take Your Kid to Work Day at the TSA checkpoint

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Take Your Kid to Work Day at the TSA checkpoint

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2011, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Post Take Your Kid to Work Day at the TSA checkpoint

Another FTer posted a link to their blog yesterday, but I really think it's worthy of it's own thread:

Another point it seems to me is that if flying is so dangerous we have to be groping people, why are they allowing children to do their job of checking travelers? When I was checking in for my flight in State College, PA Thursday morning, I presented my ID and boarding pass to a young man I would guess was about eight years old. You can see him with the "magic flashlight" in the photo below.

They also had children manning the conveyor belt that lead into the X-ray and on the other side of the X-ray and metal detector. Look closely at the photo below.

Children? Really?!

Was this some kind of "Scared Straight" program where kids with bad grades learn what will be waiting for them in the job market if they don't buckle down and do their homework every night? Maybe something like the airline pilot I know that put on his uniform for Career Day at his kid's school and told the class what a crappy industry commercial aviation is now? Who knows.

But one thing is obvious to me; the constant bleating from the TSA about how they are the last line of defense against terrorists, checkpoint procedures cloaked in the guise of "Security Sensitive Information", etc. is pure hogwash.

Screening for weapons, explosives and incendiaries is not rocket science. If the TSA would just stick to doing that basic job at the airport checkpoint, perhaps the Red Team failure rates would not be off the charts according to Rep. Mica.

Checkpoint screening - So simple, even an 8 year old can do it™.
Old May 3, 2011, 12:35 pm

Programs: Non-status bottomfeeder
if flying is so dangerous we have to be groping people, why are they allowing children to do their job of checking travelers?

Just wow.
Old May 3, 2011, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by zoobtoob
if flying is so dangerous we have to be groping people, why are they allowing children to do their job of checking travelers?

Just wow.
So it's a major problem when ATC has kids in the tower, but it's OK for TSA?

Then again, it points up that the job is so easy a cavem.. er... child can do it.
Old May 3, 2011, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by N965VJ
But one thing is obvious to me; the constant bleating from the TSA about how they are the last line of defense against terrorists
How can children be allowed in the Clerkpoint Danger Zone? Where they are exposed to WMD such as nail clippers with one inch files, standing next to the Rubbermaid Gray Plastic Hazardous Waste Disposal Container full of half pint bottles of high explosive Dihydrogen Monoxide, moving the hernia causing bins, and waiting for a TSO to stop a suicide bomber, place his hand on the bomb, and call for a Supervisor. Oh the dangers of the Front Line.

I wonder if any of the kids got to perform a pat down. Would it be more PC if eight year olds got to pat down six year olds? Just wondering.
Old May 3, 2011, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL-PM, Small Luxury Hotels & Proud Member of TSA Disparager-Gold
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
So it's a major problem when ATC has kids in the tower, but it's OK for TSA?

Then again, it points up that the job is so easy a cavem.. er... child can do it.
Time and time again TSA continues to exercise zero judgement. Truly they'll sink themselves, they don't need our help.
Old May 3, 2011, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's a good thing I wasn't around an airport that pulled a stunt like this. I'm not handing my BP and DL to a child, nor will I let a child touch me or my carry-ons. Unbelievable. Reminds me of those Geico commercials: "So simple even a [caveman/child] can do it . . ."
Old May 3, 2011, 1:12 pm

Very Creepy seeing these kids wearing the blue gloves.

I actually feel a bit sorry for them.

Kids deserve parents, not TSA gropers.
Old May 3, 2011, 1:17 pm

SSI?

So, am I safe to presume that since the children were assisting / doing the work of the TSA they were given access to some (all?) of the SSI that goes along with it? After all, if they don't know the SOP that's deemed SSI to the general public, how could they even attempt to assist the actual TSA agent, right?

Have to wonder if the NOS screener was allowed to have their child(ren) with them as well...

Hmm... another thought -- doesn't this violate some type of non-disclosure aspects? The child is not a part of the TSA and the TSA agents were sharing personal (and confidential) information with someone outside the agency who has no direct tangible interest in being allowed to have that information. (any of the legal types want to comment?)

So, in short, the child of a TSA agent is allowed access to (portions of) the SOP that the actual traveler must submit to, but isn't allowed to know because it's deemed SSI. The actual traveler had to submit personal information that is shared with someone outside the agency without justification.

And, as others had mentioned, the TSA placed children in a dangerous work environment where weapons, explosives, and incendiaries are expected to be looked for and found.

I would say "TSA Fail", but I'm growing more confident every day that that two word statement is overly redundant.

A big from me...
Old May 3, 2011, 1:19 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by oboshoe
Very Creepy seeing these kids wearing the blue gloves.

I actually feel a bit sorry for them.

Kids deserve parents, not TSA gropers.

^^
Old May 3, 2011, 1:30 pm
gof

Programs: UA 2P, HHonors Diamond, Hertz Gold
In all fareness, bring your kids to work days are A Good Thing. It lets kids know what the real world is like and what their parents do all day. While I dislike the TSA as an organization, many of them are reasonable people doing a job. I don't see the job itself as being highly dangerous so having the kids there isn't a big deal (IMHO).

That said, I'm guessing they were not pushing the buttons on the xray nor groping the PAX (gee mom, why are you coping a feel on that lady ). But, since this is supposed to be a security job, the question is were they able to complete their jobs with the same attention level they should have? That might be the only concern from a management perspective. We all know it's show anyway, so in reality it probably didn't impact things
Old May 3, 2011, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Mientree
Hmm... another thought -- doesn't this violate some type of non-disclosure aspects? The child is not a part of the TSA and the TSA agents were sharing personal (and confidential) information with someone outside the agency who has no direct tangible interest in being allowed to have that information. (any of the legal types want to comment?)
Checked myself, but being a non-lawyer type, YMMV...

To me, it looks like they were in violation of their privacy statement, which could be interpreted as a violation of law...

TSA privacy page: http://www.tsa.gov/research/privacy/index.shtm where it states in part: "We will disclose your information only with your consent, by statute or pursuant to a routine use established in a published system of records notice."

(Apologies if I am derailing the thread.)
Old May 3, 2011, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gof
In all fareness, bring your kids to work days are A Good Thing.
Not if it interferes with the job their parents are supposed to be doing.

It lets kids know what the real world is like and what their parents do all day.
The original impetus for this was Take Your Daughter to Work Day. At the time it was conceived it was A Good Thing because it taught young girls that they had career options that, traditionally, were considered "male only." I couldn't care less whether this version lets kids know what the real world is like and what their parents do all day. Teach your kids on your own time, not mine.

While I dislike the TSA as an organization, many of them are reasonable people doing a job. I don't see the job itself as being highly dangerous so having the kids there isn't a big deal (IMHO).
The inevitable delays that this idiocy introduces notwithstanding, and as I said, I'm not letting some strangers kid touch my stuff, period, nor is there any reason why I should.

That said, I'm guessing they were not pushing the buttons on the xray nor groping the PAX (gee mom, why are you coping a feel on that lady ). But, since this is supposed to be a security job, the question is were they able to complete their jobs with the same attention level they should have?
Of course not.

That might be the only concern from a management perspective. We all know it's show anyway, so in reality it probably didn't impact things
There are CFRs that compel me to be an unwilling participant in the security theater that is TSA. There is nothing that compels to play with the children of TSA employees when all I want to do is get through screening as quickly as possible and get to the club room for a drink.
Old May 3, 2011, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
My question is, how come those kids are allowed to see the x-ray images and I'm not???

Seriously, though, not too surprising. I actually saw this book at the library a while back in the kids' section. Gov't PR machine in full swing.

The hard-cover book documents the many jobs available in the TSA from airport luggage screeners to air marshals using employee interviews, stories and data suopplied by the Office of Homeland Security – Enslow Publishing
Old May 3, 2011, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N965VJ
Was this some kind of "Scared Straight" program where kids with bad grades learn what will be waiting for them in the job market if they don't buckle down and do their homework every night? Maybe something like the airline pilot I know that put on his uniform for Career Day at his kid's school and told the class what a crappy industry commercial aviation is now? Who knows.

But one thing is obvious to me; the constant bleating from the TSA about how they are the last line of defense against terrorists, checkpoint procedures cloaked in the guise of "Security Sensitive Information", etc. is pure hogwash.

Screening for weapons, explosives and incendiaries is not rocket science. If the TSA would just stick to doing that basic job at the airport checkpoint, perhaps the Red Team failure rates would not be off the charts according to Rep. Mica.

Checkpoint screening - So simple, even an 8 year old can do it™.
Scared straight!

Your comment about kids seeing precious SSI brings back memories from my days in the Pentagon. I almost fell on the floor during my first Bring Your Child To Work Day in the building when there were kids running around INSIDE our SCIF with all sorts of real classified material around. I asked our security guy and he said that it was OK up until the age at which the kids could comprehend what they were reading. -- Lame excuse designed to keep out of EEO complaint-land.

Originally Posted by Flaflyer
How can children be allowed in the Clerkpoint Danger Zone? Where they are exposed to WMD such as nail clippers with one inch files, standing next to the Rubbermaid Gray Plastic Hazardous Waste Disposal Container full of half pint bottles of high explosive Dihydrogen Monoxide, moving the hernia causing bins, and waiting for a TSO to stop a suicide bomber, place his hand on the bomb, and call for a Supervisor. Oh the dangers of the Front Line.

I wonder if any of the kids got to perform a pat down. Would it be more PC if eight year olds got to pat down six year olds? Just wondering.
I hope some kids at MCO witnessed fellow kids' Disney snowglobes being confiscated by adults dressed just like mom and/or dad.

I wonder if any kids saw other kids getting groped by adults looking just like mom/dad, especially after being taught the don't touch here lessons at home. Who knows? Maybe they saw Mom & Dad actually frisk someone their age? Or Mommy touching another mommy in places that he/she has never even seen Daddy touch mommy (at least in front of them).
Old May 3, 2011, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I really would like to see something from TSA about how this does not violate any policies. If kids can just do the duties of these idiots, why can't I just show up at the airport to check IDs, grope grannies, pull the bean and franks, and any other super secret duties?

Last edited by FriendlySkies; May 3, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.