FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   My tactical pen is a weapon? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1208396-my-tactical-pen-weapon.html)

Mikey likes it Apr 22, 2011 4:50 pm

My tactical pen is a weapon?

I just got a tactical pen just because I like its heft. It's rounded on both ends and weighs about as much as a roll of dimes.

It's not a weapon per se, and it's different from the item found in this thread, but I suppose I could jab it into someone's eye just like I could a 15 cent Bic.

Wondering if they'd steal it from me at the checkpoint.

My pen is dangerous?

:D

nufcrule3 Apr 22, 2011 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Mikey likes it (Post 16264513)

My pen is dangerous?

Take the space out and that might be dangerous too - they might have to have a touchy-feely check around there.

oldjonesy Apr 22, 2011 5:10 pm

It's a nice looking pen. What do you think?

gsoltso Apr 22, 2011 5:18 pm

Based on previous experience, that could, possibly (:(:td:) be considered a weapon. The design allows it to double as a Kubaton, a striking item, and still sign for the package at the office. I wouldn't risk running into someone that would give you a hard time over it - send it in checked bags if you take it with you.

That sucker is heavy man! I like that one myself, might have to order one for the homestead!

DeafBlonde Apr 22, 2011 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by nufcrule3 (Post 16264542)
Take the space out and that might be dangerous too - they might have to have a touchy-feely check around there.

OCHTT! Thanks a lot...I just spilled my tea all over my keyboard thanks to you!

(Thanks for the laugh, anyway. :D)

FriendlySkies Apr 22, 2011 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by gsoltso (Post 16264622)
Based on previous experience, that could, possibly (:(:td:) be considered a weapon. The design allows it to double as a Kubaton, a striking item, and still sign for the package at the office. I wouldn't risk running into someone that would give you a hard time over it - send it in checked bags if you take it with you.

That sucker is heavy man! I like that one myself, might have to order one for the homestead!

Yeah, perfect place for a TSA employee to steal it...

bajajoes Apr 22, 2011 7:05 pm

Disassemble It!

;) I say this only part in jest but it would be great if you disassembled it and then put a Preparation H wrapped suppository in the open end of it.
Then pack the Prep H box alongside it in your carryon. If tsa were stupid enough to ask about the pen just say its an obvious aid for a medical condition.:)

Wally Bird Apr 22, 2011 9:25 pm

My question is under what circumstances would one need to use a pen at +250°F ?

Good Guy Apr 22, 2011 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by Wally Bird (Post 16265494)

Global warming?

Loren Pechtel Apr 22, 2011 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by Wally Bird (Post 16265494)

Yeah, that aspect of the space pens is pretty useless.

While I don't have a fancy pen like his I have carried a space pen for ages and I love it. They simply don't leak and they write in any position--this means you can throw a piece of paper up on the wall and write on it. I've done that many a time with mine.

I only use mine as one to carry with me, for a normal home or office environment I prefer a gel pen because they write nicer.

tsadude1 Apr 23, 2011 3:41 am

I just got a tactical pen just because I like its heft. It's rounded on both ends and weighs about as much as a roll of dimes.

It's not a weapon per se, and it's different from the item found in this thread, but I suppose I could jab it into someone's eye just like I could a 15 cent Bic.

My pen is dangerous?

Nice pen, thanks for the link.

svenskaflicka Apr 23, 2011 4:55 am

Originally Posted by bajajoes (Post 16264979)
;) I say this only part in jest but it would be great if you disassembled it and then put a Preparation H wrapped suppository in the open end of it.
Then pack the Prep H box alongside it in your carryon. If tsa were stupid enough to ask about the pen just say its an obvious aid for a medical condition.:)

(bolding mine)

Thanks for a great belly laugh so early in the morning! :D