Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The broke the zipper and I can't touch it.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2011, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UAL 1K/MM
The broke the zipper and I can't touch it.

Brought a full duffel bag out of PDX this week. TSA opened it and then broke the zipper while closing it back up. I watched the whole thing.

The bag was tossed on a cart with the zip about three inches undone and was about to be taken to the flight. I got the attention of one of the officers and pointed out that they had split the zipper. By the time I got the bag back following two connections, it would be wide open and little would be in it.

The officer said he couldn't fix or close the zip. I told him I could and he let me. And of course, he then got lectured by a supervisor for letting me touch the screened bag.

Any suggestions on what I might have done better??
Old Apr 22, 2011, 7:11 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards, Delta SkyMiles
Nothing. You need to protect your belongings. The only thing the TSO could have done is re-screen the bag but then you would have to deal with the zipper issue again.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 9:21 am

What is the TSA's paranoia with passengers touching their own bags?

I have an idea why this is, but while being patted down, can we touch our own bodies?

The reasoning should apply to both, our belongings and our bodies.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 9:33 am

Programs: too many of the few that are left
Originally Posted by Neo7200
And of course, he then got lectured by a supervisor for letting me touch the screened bag.

Any suggestions on what I might have done better??
PDX has several intelligent, customer-oriented supervisors as well as its mandated share of authoritah-obsessed dregs (can I still say "dregs?"). If it reaches one of them s/he'd probably be overjoyed to hear that a blueshirt SOLVED A PROBLEM (admittedly of their own making) for a pax.

In private industry I would expect such feedback to give some leverage to any manager trying to do good. For TSA YMMV, but even if only a few eyes ever see your comment before it's shredded, it may encourage them to act well in the future, despite internal resistance they face.

Carrots leave lasting memories when the usual ration is sticks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.