Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

UK body scanners - opt outs permitted 22 November 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 18, 2013, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stifle

As and from 22 November 2013, passengers who are selected for a body scan may decline and receive a "private search alternative".

Body scanners are in place or on their way to the majority of major international airports in the UK. As of the end of 2013, they are deployed in LHR, LGW, BHX, MAN, EDI, GLA, STN, LCY, and BFS and were deployed in late 2014/early 2015 to ABZ, BHD, BRS, CWL, EMA, LBA, LPL, LTN, NCL and PIK. Until 21 November 2013, passengers declining a scan once selected were denied passage through the checkpoint and offloaded from their flight. As of 22 November 2013, passengers selected may decline a scan and will be hand-searched in a private room. This search may require the loosening or removal of some items of clothing and the passenger may have a witness present. The passenger's carry-on items will also be thoroughly searched and may be subject to explosive threat detection swabbing. Details of some FlyerTalkers' opt-out experiences can be read in post #606 and #661.

All body scanners in the UK are of the millimetre wave type. Backscatter machines were previously used but withdrawn in 2012. There are 4 models in use: the L3 ProVision, the L3 ProVision 2, the Smiths eqo (which has a passing resemblance to the single-pose Rapiscan backscatter), and the Rohde & Schwarz Quick Personnel Scanner. All use Automatic Threat Recognition software so the result of the scan is immediately visible in the form of a so-called "Gumby" figure on the screen. The passenger and the security clerk will see the figure and any anomalies are outlined with boxes; these areas are then patted down.

Scanners are not used as primary and all passengers pass through walk-through metal detectors in the first instance. In most locations, the scanner is associated with one WTMD and if you trigger this WTMD you will be directed to the scanner. Note that WTMDs in the UK are set to randomly beep with a certain probability (perhaps 15%) even if you have no metal. In some locations, however, the scanner is set back from the checkpoint and security clerks select people based on undisclosed criteria, sometimes after they have already packed up their stuff and put it back in their bags/pockets/etc.

A passenger may, if so inclined, request to be screened by the scanner rather than passing through the WTMD, which one supposes may be preferable to certain passengers possessed of metal implants which they cannot divest.

Historically the chance of being selected for scanning on any given trip was quite low, as there are generally multiple lanes at any given checkpoint but only one or two scanners. This is now changing at non-London airports where the lanes with scanners are used most and non-scanner lanes only opened to handle peak demand, and at London airports where more scanners are being installed. It was also usually the case through 2014 that fast track lanes for premium and status passengers were WTMD only; this is sadly history now.

Unless otherwise stated, the scanners below are located behind WTMDs and passengers beeping the WTMDs are scanned.

Scanner locations per airport:

LHR T1: Closed
LHR T2: Scanners on all lanes behind WTMD, except the very furthest lane from the entrance.
LHR T3: Recent information required.
LHR T4: Recent information required.
LHR T5: Scanners on most lanes behind WTMD. Due to limited space the lanes at either end of north checkpoint and at either end of south checkpoint (but not fast track) are scanner-free.
LGW TN: WTMD + scanner in every lane.
LGW TS: WTMD + scanner in every lane. Sometimes scanners switched to primary.
MAN: Scanners: one per checkpoint, used as secondary screening in lieu of pat-down if WTMD triggered.
EDI: Update needed from new checkpoint
STN: Scanners behind the WTMDs for lanes 7/8 and 15/16.
LCY: Scanners in both checkpoints, used as secondary. Two safe lanes in the old checkpoint (the one with automatic boarding pass scan gates) so use that and try to SDOO.
GLA: Between lanes 3 and 4. Note, fast track normally uses lanes 1 and 2 but you can get unlucky. (Updated 25 January 2014)
BFS: Scanner used as secondary if you trip the WTMD.
ABZ: Information needed
SOU: Scanner behind the only WTMD
BHD, LPL, BRS, EMA, NCL, LBA, LTN, CWL: Information also needed

See also: https://www.gov.uk/government/speech...ty-scanners--2
Print Wikipost

UK body scanners - opt outs permitted 22 November 2013

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2014, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I read online somewhere that MAN went from 19 BKSX to 3 MMW (across the airport as a whole), but no idea whether that's current.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 1:34 pm

That doesn't sounds too bad actually if true. I have always refused to fly out of MAN due to their use of scanners, but if it is only 3 across the entire airport...
Old Feb 23, 2014, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
It's a big "if". I have no first-hand experience in several years (last time I went through the cancer boxes were still in service). My comment is based on a couple of blogs and a news story that said they "had to" hire an extra 55 security staff when they changed the scanners over.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 1:59 pm

That is a very big if.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes. Paging MAN-MAN?
Old Feb 23, 2014, 2:16 pm

Not sure what you mean by that?
Old Feb 23, 2014, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I mean we could use his assistance as a frequent MAN user.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 1:26 am

Stifle

Do you have a link for that blog?
Old Feb 25, 2014, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't find it now but I have it saved in favourites on my home computer. Will post later if I remember.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EZYBA1
Stifle

Do you have a link for that blog?
http://scrapthescanners.wordpress.com
Old Feb 25, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
UK has been on my personal no-fly list ever since they implemented body scanning without the ability to opt-out. Now that opt-outs are permitted, I have booked a trip to DUB transiting LHR in both directions; my outbound occurs next week, with the return the following week.

I'd like to arrive prepared. Is there any consumer-level summary of our rights when opting out? For example, is there a description of what documents the security personnel may request and what they can and cannot do during the private body search?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 1:54 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by mikew99
Is there any consumer-level summary of our rights when opting out? For example, is there a description of what documents the security personnel may request and what they can and cannot do during the private body search?
I think there would be, but given what others have said since the opt outs became possible, I'd say that they aren't available to the public.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is a "consumer-level summary" at https://www.gov.uk/airport-rights but it does not contain any details regarding what documentation they may request, nor specifics of the search.

On a more practical level, use the guide to scanner location in the wikipost to help avoid the riskiest areas.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 1:08 pm

Talking Freedom of Information request -- excellent reply!

Here's a Freedom of Information request response from the UK Department for Transport -- hot off the press! Excellent news!

============================================
1. If selected for a body scan, may a passenger opt out from being scanned in a body scanner and instead be allowed an alternative search?

Yes. As you are already aware, the Secretary of State announced on 21 November 2013, that from Friday 22 November, passengers who opt out of being screened by a security scanner will be allowed a private search alternative (an enhanced hand search in private). This is a method of screening which is considered to be of an equivalent security value to a security scan. These revised arrangements will be kept under review to ensure that high levels of security are maintained whilst avoiding disproportionate impacts on airports and passengers.
---
2. Upon having requested an alternative search, is a passenger then compelled to disclose his/her:
a. reason for not wishing to submit to a scan
b. name
c. address
d. flight time
e. flight destination
f. nationality
g. occupation
h. date of birth
i. any other personal information
No. However, airports may ask a passenger who is selected for scanning but chooses to opt out to give their reasons for doing so in order to assist and facilitate the search process. The Department does not require the information given to be kept by the airport.
---
3. Is the personal information of passengers who have opted out from a body scan passed on to the Department for Transport? (I have heard personal reports of security personnel having asserted this during the search of a passenger who opted out).

No. Please see the answer to the previous question. The Department might in the future ask airports for aggregated information on the number of passengers choosing to opt out and the reasons given, where this is kept, but this would not be on an individual basis.
---
4a. What personal details have to be entered onto the consent form that an opting-out passenger is requested to sign?

4b. Is this form to be signed before or after an alternative search?

4c. Is a passenger who opts out of a body scan obliged to fill out a form to indicate consent to an alternative search, or can a passenger refuse to fill out the form whilst still complying with an alternative search?

The Department for Transport does not require a consent form to be completed by passengers electing to undergo an alternative method of search after being selected to go through a security scanner.
---
5. Is a passenger obliged to disclose any personal information whatsoever if he or she willingly submits to an alternative search after declining a body scan?

No. Please see the answer to question 2.
If you are unhappy with the way the Department has handled your request ... [snipped]
Yours sincerely,
Bryan Small, Aviation Security Advisor, Department for Transport, Great Minster House, 33 Horseferry Road, LONDON SW1P 4DR

-----------------

A PDF of a scanned letter with a handwritten signature on DfT letterheaded paper is available at the link below. I'll be printing a copy and it'll be safely in my back pocket when going through security!
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...3/Untitled.pdf

I'm really rather chuffed about this. ^
Old Mar 6, 2014, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Cool! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.