Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

It's Time To Bring Simplified Screening to Trusted Travelers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2011, 9:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

Pistole has often spoke of risk management and recognizing where the risks really exist - it's time for him to put his money where his mouth is - introduce a simplified screening program for Nexus/Sentri/Global Entry members (not CLEAR members as their vetting is insufficient)

A simplified screening program would involve:

1) exemption from WBI - WTMD screening only
2) exemption from shoe removal
3) exemption from liquid restrictions
4) exemption from gate checks
5) dedicated screening lane or 'front of the line' access where a separate screening lane was impractical

Like Nexus/GE itself, the program would include random spot checks which would involve the scanning of shoes, swabbing of liquids, and the passenger's choice of either WBI or patdown.

Passengers would participate by doing the following:

1) Enter their Nexus/Sentri/GE number in the 'redress' box for SecureFlight to tell the system they are a trusted traveler

2) Use their Nexus/Sentri/GE card as ID at the checkpoint

3) Based on their entry of a valid Trusted Traveler number in the redress box, upon validation, the airline would print 'Trusted Traveler' on the boarding pass which would confirm the passenger's status at the checkpoint and allow access to the simplified screening process...or call the traveler out for their periodic random check.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think all passengers should receive simplified screening with the depth or complexity increasing if suspicion is developed.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
You're assuming Pissy knows what risk management is.

Your proposal makes perfect sense and is one that would vastly improve the security operations in all US airports. So naturally they won't do it.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 9:39 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
All travelers should be:

1) exempt from WBI - WTMD screening only
2) exempt from shoe removal
3) exempt from liquid restrictions
4) exempt from gate checks

and any other form of nonsense unless the federal government can show clear, probable cause to the contrary.

I should never, ever have to ID myself to fly without ID, BP, WBI, groping, liquid or shoe harassment.

The real problem is the federal government and its involvement in airline/airport "security". It's time to rip the federal government out of our airports like a weed.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 9:41 pm

You shouldn't have to submit to a government background check to retain your Fourth Amendment rights or to be treated with dignity.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 9:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Ellie M
You shouldn't have to submit to a government background check to retain your Fourth Amendment rights or to be treated with dignity.
I don't disagree - but until certain members of Congress or the Courts can successfully spay and neuter the TSA, I think this is one thing they could implement *tomorrow* without a single shred of additional risk being added, and which would significantly improve the airport experience for some frequent travelers.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Spiff
All travelers should be:

1) exempt from WBI - WTMD screening only
2) exempt from shoe removal
3) exempt from liquid restrictions
4) exempt from gate checks

and any other form of nonsense unless the federal government can show clear, probable cause to the contrary.

I should never, ever have to ID myself to fly without ID, BP, WBI, groping, liquid or shoe harassment.

The real problem is the federal government and its involvement in airline/airport "security". It's time to rip the federal government out of our airports like a weed.
Thank YOU!
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I don't disagree - but until certain members of Congress or the Courts can successfully spay and neuter the TSA, I think this is one thing they could implement *tomorrow* without a single shred of additional risk being added, and which would significantly improve the airport experience for some frequent travelers.
My fear is that if they did this, there would be far less pressure to actually change things. It's unclear how the courts will actually rule on frisks/scanners. If the outrage isn't there, I'm afraid those things will be here to stay, or at least until we go bankrupt trying to pay for them.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:55 pm

I just don't get it.
I have Global Entry. That system was developed by DHS, and it works. I'm exempt from most immigration/customs hassles, and it allows them to focus on passengers who spark greater interest.

Why can't Global Entry be applied to TSA screening? The infrastructure is there, and I know many people who would gladly shell out $100 for an interview for five years of reduced-hassle screening.

If it's good enough for immigration and customs, it's good enough for the TSA.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:12 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
This all ready occurs for Canadian domestic travellers at YYZ-T1, YOW, and YUL with Nexus card.

1) no WBI/AIT, WTMD only.
2) No enhanced pat down.
3) segregated lane for Nexus only.
4) No shoe removal for all Canadian domestic and international travellers.

Liquid restrictions still apply, however I thinks this restriction removal has to be an all or no-one provision. To much hassle to allow LGA in some cases but not others. I am all for removal LGA restrictions everywhere.

My only desire is that these provisions get rolled out at all major Canadian airports, especially those checkpoints with WBI/AIT.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA, WN RR
Originally Posted by Mats
I just don't get it.
I have Global Entry. That system was developed by DHS, and it works. I'm exempt from most immigration/customs hassles, and it allows them to focus on passengers who spark greater interest.

Why can't Global Entry be applied to TSA screening? The infrastructure is there, and I know many people who would gladly shell out $100 for an interview for five years of reduced-hassle screening.

If it's good enough for immigration and customs, it's good enough for the TSA.
Security theater is an essential component of TSA. Ma and Pa Kettle who fly every 18 months must see the complete production, which now includes the Shoe Carnival, War on Liquid, and NoS/groping. If TSA is doing all of that, airliners must be safe, right?
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:14 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum

1) Enter their Nexus/Sentri/GE number in the 'redress' box for SecureFlight to tell the system they are a trusted traveler

3) Based on their entry of a valid Trusted Traveler number in the redress box, upon validation, the airline would print 'Trusted Traveler' on the boarding pass which would confirm the passenger's status at the checkpoint and allow access to the simplified screening process...or call the traveler out for their periodic random check.
Process as described above is much to complicated. Easier approach is to have pax present the Nexus/Sentri/GE card and the doc checkers uses their existing technology to validate the card. Simply present the card and get access to the line.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I used to think that way, but no longer. TSA needs their choke-chain yanked up hard and fast. I've got Global Entry, I had Clear (which was -supposed- to be TSA vetted), I've got first responder ID. I can pass whatever background checks they want to throw at me (unless they read FlyerTalk )

I don't want preferential treatment because I've jumped through hoops, I want DHS and their TSA minions to be thrown to the dogs as the threat they are themselves to the Union.

DHS is -the- current threat to our country and seeking "papers please" to grease their wheels just encourages the rot.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Pistole has often spoke of risk management and recognizing where the risks really exist - it's time for him to put his money where his mouth is - introduce a simplified screening program for Nexus/Sentri/Global Entry members (not CLEAR members as their vetting is insufficient)

A simplified screening program would involve:

1) exemption from WBI - WTMD screening only
2) exemption from shoe removal
3) exemption from liquid restrictions
4) exemption from gate checks
5) dedicated screening lane or 'front of the line' access where a separate screening lane was impractical

Like Nexus/GE itself, the program would include random spot checks which would involve the scanning of shoes, swabbing of liquids, and the passenger's choice of either WBI or patdown.

I'd like every traveler to be treated like a trusted traveler and for no profiling of any sort to be employed. When things like the No Fly List ensnare thousands of innocent people who might share the same initial and last name, but no other metric with someone the government thinks is a threat (but has no proof), then I think a trusted traveler program turns into a tool of oppression against those who cannot get redress.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:41 pm

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
The problem is the ingrained belief at the TSA that every single American (except their fellow TSA colleagues) is a potential terrorist.

I have pointed that out to our resident TSOs who post on this board and not one single time have any of them ever said that my statement is false.

If the TSA believes that every American is a potential suicide bomber waiting to press the detonator, they will never allow a genuine "trusted traveler" program.

Like birdstrike, I have all the cards and clearances and background check, etc., but none of that matters to the TSA.

American citizens are the enemy in their view and until that view changes, they won't be looking at any program that allows citizens to bypass anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.