Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA still refusing "alternate screening" for breastmilk

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA still refusing "alternate screening" for breastmilk

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2011, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eyecue
To be perfectly honest about this, I asked MRS EYECUE when the AZ fiasco came out and this post came out. Her response to each one was: " The mom has an unlimited supply in her breasts so why are the moms making such a big fuss out of this or why are they taking it with them after pumping?"
Why am I not surprised that she doesn't get it any more than you do?
Old Jan 9, 2011, 3:27 am

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
While I don't agree with TSA on how they handled this I suspect if the milk had been liquid it could have been screened by means other than xray.

Being frozen I think is the problem since something (remote possibility) could be hidden and concealed in the bag.

Just my 2 cents.

If people who have to endure TSA screenings had clear rules of what they must do to pass through a TSA Dragnet Checkpoint then these situations would not occur.
I will say again, this was an excellent comment.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 8:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gsoltso
I will say again, this was an excellent comment.
And quite wrong. Even frozen, human breast milk is translucent and foreign objects can be found with a simple 2AA Maglite. Which is probably forbidden under SSI regulations.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by chollie
Every time a TSO fails to follow policy like this, the TSO, his/her immediate superior and the trainer responsible for training the TSO should all be suspended without pay for half a day.
Originally Posted by exbayern
TSA has a procedure in place to deal with breast milk; they just choose not to follow their own procedure... The lack of common sense, basic reasoning skills, and basic logic is one of the biggest issues I see with the screeners in the US...
Originally Posted by Ellie M
...it took two TSOs and three managers to all decide that they shouldn't follow their own procedure... This had nothing to do with protecting the public and everything to do with display of power.
You three have cornered the actual, main issue here: TSA's near-total organizational incoherence and insanely high tolerance on the front lines for individual freelancing, invention of fake policies, or repudiation of actual ones.

When an all-powerful TSO either doesn't know a screening policy, decides it doesn't exist, or punishes/abuses a passenger for citing it, there's no point in making policies at all. This is, in large part, why TSA is essentially ridiculous, and why anyone who's paying attention gives TSA zero respect, zero confidence.

If TSA were a person, he would be diagnosed psychopathic and locked up fast.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 10:27 am

Programs: AA 2MM, DL D360
Originally Posted by n4zhg
And quite wrong. Even frozen, human breast milk is translucent and foreign objects can be found with a simple 2AA Maglite. Which is probably forbidden under SSI regulations.
That's not necessarily true. Much of whether you could see through it would depend on how the breastmilk was frozen (in bottles? in Lansinoh or Medela bags, laid flat? in ice cube trays?) How thick is the frozen area? What time of day was the milk pumped (because the fat content varies throughout the day)? How old is the infant (the fat content also varies with the age of the infant)?

Point being, it's not necessarily the case that they could see that nothing was frozen in the bags.

In case it's not evident, I have been traveling at least once a week with expressed milk for the past 18 months. I've never had a TSA agent give me any grief whatsoever regarding my expressed milk, though one time they made me throw away my ice packs because they had thawed. Then again, I've never not let them x-ray the milk, figuring that even if the x-rays did destroy some of the good stuff breastmilk has to offer, it's still vastly better than formula.

To be perfectly honest about this, I asked MRS EYECUE when the AZ fiasco came out and this post came out. Her response to each one was: " The mom has an unlimited supply in her breasts so why are the moms making such a big fuss out of this or why are they taking it with them after pumping?"
Oh and by the way: MRS EYECUE is obviously uninformed as to how breastfeeding works. It's a supply-and-demand proposition (look it up on wikipedia if you don't know what that means). In order to produce milk, you have to remove milk from the breasts. Not pumping your milk will cause you to stop producing milk. Also, you can't just stay attached to a pump and have milk come out indefinitely. Once you've exhausted the current supply (as much as a pump can express, anyway), you have to allow the body to produce more.

There's lots of information on the process on the intarwebs, feel free to educate yourself and MRS EYECUE.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jan 12, 2011 at 2:16 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Jan 9, 2011, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by jill5172
Oh and by the way: MRS EYECUE is obviously uninformed as to how breastfeeding works.
And not to sound crass, but even if one doesn't know how the human female produces milk, it really isn't that different from cows. Dairy cattle too are not a limitless supply of milk, need to be milked at certain times, and their production can dry up.

Even if one doesn't learn about humans in school, surely one learns something about cows?
Old Jan 9, 2011, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by exbayern
And not to sound crass, but even if one doesn't know how the human female produces milk, it really isn't that different from cows. Dairy cattle too are not a limitless supply of milk, need to be milked at certain times, and their production can dry up.

Even if one doesn't learn about humans in school, surely one learns something about cows?
Some folks probably couldn't tell you which end of the cow the moo comes out of.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 3:36 pm

Programs: Cessna TTx Self-Fly
Originally Posted by TheGolfWidow
The phrase "to be perfectly honest" is such an interesting one.
Agreed. It almost begs the question of "has eyecue not been perfectly honest until now?". Anytime I hear "To be perfectly honest", or "Trust me", I always assume that what follows has no basis in reality.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by IslandBased
Some folks probably couldn't tell you which end of the cow the moo comes out of.
And yet they're allowed to play with X-ray machines...
Old Jan 9, 2011, 4:42 pm
Suspended

Used to be that elementary school children had field trips to farms, of varying kind depending on what was in the area. I doubt that happens anymore. It's not "relevant." At least not at the "Heather Has Two Mommies" level, anyway.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 5:21 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
They're too busy reading the latest TSA policies coming out of the other end.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 2:16 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
They're too busy reading the latest TSA policies coming out of the other end.
Wrong gender
Old Jan 12, 2011, 3:13 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Wrong gender
bovine gastroentological biological waste could come from either gender...
Old Jan 12, 2011, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by BearX220
You three have cornered the actual, main issue here: TSA's near-total organizational incoherence and insanely high tolerance on the front lines for individual freelancing, invention of fake policies, or repudiation of actual ones.

When an all-powerful TSO either doesn't know a screening policy, decides it doesn't exist, or punishes/abuses a passenger for citing it, there's no point in making policies at all. This is, in large part, why TSA is essentially ridiculous, and why anyone who's paying attention gives TSA zero respect, zero confidence.
Indeed. Perfectly stated. ^

Bruce
Old Jan 12, 2011, 8:57 am

Programs: AAdvantage, HH, SPG Gold
In case you didn't notice - this guy appears to work for TSA. Explains alot!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.