Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

TSA to require giant zip-lock bags as carry-ons.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2011, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

TSA announced today that it is implementing pilot studies in five airports nationwide to test a new program that would require all passengers to place their carry-on belongings in transparent 15-gallon zip-lock bags. Citing recent concerns with delays caused by a dramatic increase in carry-on baggage, as well as the success of the now-familiar "3-1-1" program utilizing 1-quart zip-lock bags for carry-on liquids, TSA hopes that this new procedure will expedite security checks at the busiest airports. TSA Administrator, John S. Pistole, announced the pilot studies in an exclusive interview given to USA Today. "We are always looking for ways to make the security process more efficient," said Pistole, "and we're certain that passengers will welcome this new improvement." The large bags are completely transparent, allowing Transportation Security Officers to easily assess their contents when screening for prohibited items. According to Pistole, implementation of the new zip-lock bag protocol will not effect other screening procedures, including baggage x-rays and whole-body imaging of passengers. If the pilot study is successful, other kinds of carry-on luggage, from computer bags to wheeled in-cabin suitcases, will be prohibited.

TSA has partnered with Johnson & Johnson, manufacturers of Glad Bags, to produce the giant zip-lock bags. Estimated costs for the bags are in the $25 dollar range, though may go higher depending on still-evolving TSA-mandated requirements. "We think a few extra dollars is a small price to pay for the additional security and safety this new program will bring," said Pistole.

The pilot study will begin this summer in airports in Orlando, Los Angeles, Newark, Chicago and Albuquerque.

http://www.usatoday.com/nation/washi...ock-bags_N.htm
Old Apr 1, 2011, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Linky no worky.

Even though it's hard to tell these days, I assume it is April Fool stuff.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Al Coholic
Even though it's hard to tell these days, I assume it is April Fool stuff.
Giant Zip-Locks? April Fools? Could go either way...stupid though, because it would obviously be impossible to hide stuff in pants pockets inside the see through bag.

2 Years ago I was sure that the Strip Search scanner was a bad joke that would never be accepted by the public. I severely underestimated the "anything for security" crowd.

My mom would happily lay out her granny panties for the whole world to see if it meant the plane would be safe. (I am almost sure I was adopted!)
Old Apr 1, 2011, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by PTravel
TSA announced today that it is implementing pilot studies in five airports nationwide to test a new program that would require all passengers to place their carry-on belongings in transparent 15-gallon zip-lock bags. Citing recent concerns with delays caused by a dramatic increase in carry-on baggage, as well as the success of the now-familiar "3-1-1" program utilizing 1-quart zip-lock bags for carry-on liquids, TSA hopes that this new procedure will expedite security checks at the busiest airports. TSA Administrator, John S. Pistole, announced the pilot studies in an exclusive interview given to USA Today. "We are always looking for ways to make the security process more efficient," said Pistole, "and we're certain that passengers will welcome this new improvement." The large bags are completely transparent, allowing Transportation Security Officers to easily assess their contents when screening for prohibited items. According to Pistole, implementation of the new zip-lock bag protocol will not effect other screening procedures, including baggage x-rays and whole-body imaging of passengers. If the pilot study is successful, other kinds of carry-on luggage, from computer bags to wheeled in-cabin suitcases, will be prohibited.

TSA has partnered with Johnson & Johnson, manufacturers of Glad Bags, to produce the giant zip-lock bags. Estimated costs for the bags are in the $25 dollar range, though may go higher depending on still-evolving TSA-mandated requirements. "We think a few extra dollars is a small price to pay for the additional security and safety this new program will bring," said Pistole.

The pilot study will begin this summer in airports in Orlando, Los Angeles, Newark, Chicago and Albuquerque.

http://www.usatoday.com/nation/washi...ock-bags_N.htm
^^^
happy AF

that imagery reminds me of that Leslie Neilsen skit in one of the Naked Guns series, with him practicing safe sex by being dressed in a full body condom.

Maybe TSA will mandate airport wear consisting of a very dark tinted head covering that prevents facial recognition, and a transparent outer garment, with the requirement that you be naked underneath it. It would render scanners and checkpoints unnecessary.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 2:59 pm

From The Golf Widow Digest:

In related news, attractive women will now be required to transit airport checkpoints covered only by a single layer of Saran Wrap. Said TSA spokesperson Kristin Lee, "We expect an increase in morale for our front-line screeners as they will be given wide latitude in determining who is to be considered attractive."

When asked whether this transparency would reduce the need for the much-maligned and so-called "enhanced patdowns," Ms. Lee responded "Why would you think that?"
Old Apr 1, 2011, 3:39 pm

April Fools jokes just might turn into reality knowing Pistole and Napolitano and how their brains work.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 3:49 pm

My middle school prohibited backpacks the last few days of school, with the intent of keeping students from bringing spray paint to school. Of course, no student would ever think to bring spray paint to school _before_ one of those no-backpack days.

I'm ready for this one. I've got a box full of transparent 55-gallon trash bags, which I use primarily to store my artificial Christmas tree between Epiphany and Thanksgiving. :-)
Old Apr 1, 2011, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by nachtnebel
^^^

Maybe TSA will mandate airport wear consisting of a very dark tinted head covering that prevents facial recognition, and a transparent outer garment, with the requirement that you be naked underneath it. It would render scanners and checkpoints unnecessary.
The Hood part would be for the TSA Agents-so they can't be identified complaint lodging, the rest of us would have to wear fully clear head and body suits.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 6:32 pm

Programs: SSSSS
Tel Aviv - (JNA) Israeli airport security, bowing to pressure from the US Transportation Security Administration has modified its stance on invasive passenger imaging. Citing concerns of modesty in accordance with Talmudic law, a compromise has been reached. Israeli scientists, in cooperation with airport security have developed a body scanning device that does not produce images of passengers nor does it detect explosives. It is designed to detonate concealed explosives secreted under passenger clothing. The Research scientist David Ben Bigbang outlined several advantages of this approach. The flights will be secured, the system is cost effective in that it saves the cost of trial, imprisonment and has the added advantage of freeing up seats for standby passengers.
So, the next time you are in Israel and you hear a muffled explosion, followed by an announcement, "El Al paging standby passengers for flight xxx, please report to the gate as a seat has become available." You will know that the Israeli security system is highly effective and efficient.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 12:43 am

Programs: DL 2.945MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by lara21
april fools jokes just might turn into reality knowing pistole and napolitano and how their brains work.
what brains?
Old Apr 2, 2011, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by Lara21
April Fools jokes just might turn into reality knowing Pistole and Napolitano and how their brains work.
Guys, guys! Today's joke, tomorrow's brilliant new anti-terrorist tactic, sanctioned by Pistole and the other warriors who wake up everyday with a passion to protect travelers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.