FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Complete List of Airports with Whole Body Imaging/Advanced Imaging Technology Scanner (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1138014-complete-list-airports-whole-body-imaging-advanced-imaging-technology-scanner.html)

FriendlySkies Nov 16, 2010 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Benny8444 (Post 15163099)
Does anyone know what the situation is at LAS in the D gates and at the two main check points at IAD??

Also What is the difference between the backscatter and the MMW?

As it says on the first page, the D checkpoint has the MMW installed. As far as IAD, the only device that we know of is a backscatter installed in the Diamond/Crew lane which is downstairs. At night, the only checkpoint open is the Diamond/Crew..

makfan Nov 16, 2010 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies (Post 15163131)
As it says on the first page, the D checkpoint has the MMW installed. As far as IAD, the only device that we know of is a backscatter installed in the Diamond/Crew lane which is downstairs. At night, the only checkpoint open is the Diamond/Crew..

The first post has a nice illustration showing how to tell the difference in the two types of machines.

Benny8444 Nov 16, 2010 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies (Post 15163131)

so does every passenger going though the D gates have to do in the MMW or only certian ones?

That will clog things up as D is the most crowded check point at LAS

LuvAirFrance Nov 16, 2010 5:03 pm

Any list of airports WITHOUT them? In one TV treatment of the subject, the camera face said "you go where your plane takes off" or some such. Meaning you have to find a way to your destination that lacks the machines. Which could take more and more luck as time goes by.

Better chance, really, of pushing the things out of travel completely than avoiding their presence. One can tell that the resistance is now considered newsworthy. It is on the radar, but the fans of total national nudity are pushing back. This fight could be as monumental as the fight against global jihadism. I don't know about watering the Tree of Liberty with human blood. But those who want the shrinking space of liberty to freeze in place and perhaps expand might need to water it with some bodily fluid.

FriendlySkies Nov 16, 2010 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance (Post 15163211)
Any list of airports WITHOUT them? In one TV treatment of the subject, the camera face said "you go where your plane takes off" or some such. Meaning you have to find a way to your destination that lacks the machines. Which could take more and more luck as time goes by.

Better chance, really, of pushing the things out of travel completely than avoiding their presence. One can tell that the resistance is now considered newsworthy. It is on the radar, but the fans of total national nudity are pushing back. This fight could be as monumental as the fight against global jihadism. I don't know about watering the Tree of Liberty with human blood. But those who want the shrinking space of liberty to freeze in place and perhaps expand might need to water it with some bodily fluid.

The main page also has a list of airports without the devices. Scroll down on the first post.

FidalgoRob Nov 16, 2010 7:42 pm

New SAT Terminal B

I've read that the new Terminal B at SAT has WBI devices in place as the primary screening technology. Does anyone know if these are millimeter wave technology or the backscatter?

Rob

SnowGirl Nov 16, 2010 10:08 pm

LAX

Sorry to be dense, but I am having trouble with LAX's description up at the top. I see that it has the backscatter in lots of terminals....is it everywhere? Like, every lane? Any strategies, I think I am going to Terminal 3, Alaska is kinda weird with their terminal move.... I will have a 3 year old with me, so I really would like to avoid any of these machines if possible. As to pat down for him....ugh.

This whole thing blows.

jakeller Nov 16, 2010 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by Delta 764 (Post 15161432)
Did it look like two large blue boxes that you stood between, or did it look like a large tube that you stood inside? If it was the former, then it was a backscatter X-ray scanner; if it was the latter then it was an MMW scanner.

It was definitely a backscatter machine. Two blue boxes. I guess they have both at SFO?

agoroman Nov 16, 2010 10:31 pm

LAX Terminal 4 (AA) - Are there any metal detectors or is it all body imagers?

Hey so I want to avoid the Backscatter and Wave Milliport Body scanning and I don't want to opt out either and get the pat down. I'm wondering if there are metal detector lines you can go through by choosing the right line at security. Please let me know. Thanks.

FriendlySkies Nov 16, 2010 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by agoroman (Post 15167325)
Hey so I want to avoid the Backscatter and Wave Milliport Body scanning and I don't want to opt out either and get the pat down. I'm wondering if there are metal detector lines you can go through by choosing the right line at security. Please let me know. Thanks.

Just FYI, it's Millimeter Wave, not Wave Milliport... :)

FidalgoRob Nov 17, 2010 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by FidalgoRob (Post 15165188)
I've read that the new Terminal B at SAT has WBI devices in place as the primary screening technology. Does anyone know if these are millimeter wave technology or the backscatter?

Rob

I contacted the SAT TSA to get an answer to this question. The new Terminal B has two backscatter AIT devices, and they will be used as the primary screening method. There are a couple of magnetometers that will only be used in the case where the backscatter devices malfunction or are so backed up that the lines are bogging down.

I'm disappointed to hear this. If the TSA insists on using technology that requires 5x to 10x more time to traverse (as compared to the magnetometers), then they ought to be smart enough to have 5x to 10x more machines available, right?

On the plus side, the TSA rep called me back promptly and was very pleasant and professional. Good customer service, but a disappointing message.

nikkif00 Nov 17, 2010 6:52 pm

PDX (Portland, OR)

I wrote to PDX (among other places) registering my distaste for the new policies, and this was part of the reply I received from Jean Pratt, Customer Communication Coordinator:

"Thank you for contacting Portland International Airport.

The airport currently does not have Advanced Imaging Technology (full body scanner technology). The TSA plans to install this technology next spring. It will be optional for all passengers. Passengers who do not wish to utilize this screening technology will receive alternative screening, including a physical pat-down."

So, PDX will be receiving imaging technology in the spring.

GadgetFreak Nov 17, 2010 8:31 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Just arrived at JFK on UA from SFO. As I was leaving saw that they are installing a lot if them there tonight. Pretty big effort, lots of units.

hbush Nov 17, 2010 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by agoroman (Post 15167325)
Hey so I want to avoid the Backscatter and Wave Milliport Body scanning and I don't want to opt out either and get the pat down.

The unpleasant reality in US is that you quite likely will get both scanning AND groping even without any "opting out". I had this repugnant experience few days ago in ORD, T1.

Generally I am quite used to different kinds of useless "security" shamanism rites in airports but this kind of US "pat down" is physically close to absolutely unacceptable for me. At least when done by another man.

Besides, these new petting rituals are very slow and cause big delays even in priority lanes where most people are used to different pseudo-security. Good luck to those passengers trying to fly during Thanksgiving time, waiting in the same long lines with elderly people, disabled, small children and so on...

LuvAirFrance Nov 18, 2010 12:10 am

I'd be so tempted to say "Usually I have to pay for this. How does it feel to be in the sauna business?"