FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Complete List of Airports with Whole Body Imaging/Advanced Imaging Technology Scanner (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1138014-complete-list-airports-whole-body-imaging-advanced-imaging-technology-scanner.html)

gatelouse Nov 11, 2010 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies (Post 15124016)
I agree that a WIKI might not be the best idea, especially due to the possibilities that it could be hiajcked by certain (cough tsa cough) people..

I'll PM you about some ideas.. I'd be happy to create a real website with this information. Then we could spread a link such as www.travelwbifree.org to various news agencies..

Friendly, you have my full support and gratitude. I don't have the expertise or resources to set up a web site but am happy to provide as much content as I can. I'm thinking of a hybrid between dontscan.us and udustats.com, with base airport information editable only by trusted members and an open comment section for each airport.

jasonz9238 Nov 11, 2010 9:10 pm

I think a website with an updated list would be a great idea. Only a certain portion of users actually contribute to this list and the information can be come outdated.

The website can possibly allow user comments for each airport.

FriendlySkies Nov 11, 2010 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by jasonz9238 (Post 15124135)
I think a website with an updated list would be a great idea. Only a certain portion of users actually contribute to this list and the information can be come outdated.

The website can possibly allow user comments for each airport.

While we look into the creation of a website dedicated to the <whole body scanner>, I still feel as though the info on this list is pretty up to date. Since I started this list, I've gotten anywhere from 5-20 messages per day with updates on the <whole body scanner>. One FTer sends me comprehensive reports each week, and I just received another one with details on every C/P for the WAS airports..

beauvoir Nov 12, 2010 11:58 am

I don't know if my PM from 4 days ago was received, but SAN now has 3 Rapiscan backscatter <whole body scanner> machines at the American/Frontier c/p in Terminal 2. That means neither c/p in SAN Terminal 2 is safe.

N830MH Nov 12, 2010 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by beauvoir (Post 15127899)
I don't know if my PM from 4 days ago was received, but SAN now has 3 Rapiscan backscatter <whole body scanner> machines at the American/Frontier c/p in Terminal 2. That means neither c/p in SAN Terminal 2 is safe.

Yikes!!!

mersk862 Nov 12, 2010 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by Delta 764 (Post 15048404)
Also, does anyone know the type currently used at ATL? I know they were one of the test airports for the L-3 ProVision millimeter wave scanners, however, I think I read somewhere that they were going to be switching to the Rapiscan backscatter X-ray scanners. Can anyone confirm that?

MMWs at the SkyPriority checkpoint mentioned in the OP.

WinstonSmith Nov 13, 2010 5:08 am

You might want to define all your acronyms on page one. I have been against the move by TSA of more invasive searches for some time, but I had trouble reading your airport list after finding this forum a few days ago. To the uninitiated looking for information on where these machines are, a list with MMW, C/P, <whole body scanner>, BKSX, WTMD, etc is confusing. A simple listing of what each stand for at the top of the page would add a tremendous amount of clarity. When "cute" acronyms like <whole body scanner> are created, no outsider to the forum has any clue what <whole body scanner> means without doing research (I know I had to). We should make this as open and easy access as possible.

Thanks for this list. It is very helpful.

FriendlySkies Nov 13, 2010 6:20 am

Originally Posted by WinstonSmith (Post 15131893)
You might want to define all your acronyms on page one. I have been against the move by TSA of more invasive searches for some time, but I had trouble reading your airport list after finding this forum a few days ago. To the uninitiated looking for information on where these machines are, a list with MMW, C/P, <whole body scanner>, BKSX, WTMD, etc is confusing. A simple listing of what each stand for at the top of the page would add a tremendous amount of clarity. When "cute" acronyms like <whole body scanner> are created, no outsider to the forum has any clue what <whole body scanner> means without doing research (I know I had to). We should make this as open and easy access as possible.

Thanks for this list. It is very helpful.

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies (Post 14968662)
If you notice any airports missing, or any incomplete information, please send me a PM so I can fix it! I've also included a glossary of terms found in the list, below.

Glossary of Abbreviations Used

C/P - Checkpoint
MMW - Millimeter Wave
BKSX - Backscatter
TERM - Terminal

Welcome to FlyerTalk! At the top of the sticky, there is a blurb that mentions we have a glossary of terms at the bottom. I've attached that glossary here for your info..

BubbaLoop Nov 13, 2010 11:46 am

Just a suggestion here: How about including the terms whole body image and advanced imaging technology in the title of this thread, so people who are not familiar with this site have a higher chance of finding it in a search? With the momentum gained against these scanners, I think we should try to help as many people who want to avoid them as possible!

SEAFFLYER Nov 13, 2010 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR (Post 15080306)
The north checkpoint at SEA (for the D & N Gates) now has them installed. They were not in use when I was there a couple days ago, but the machines are there.

Went through the North C/P for the N & C gates this morning; perhaps the <whole body scanner>'s are behind the plywood wall painted white, but they aren't being used yet. Went thru a WTMD only.

loreleis Nov 13, 2010 1:35 pm

<whole body scanner> at MSP

Does the Humphrey Terminal have any <whole body scanner>?

joshwex90 Nov 13, 2010 3:40 pm

What's the difference between the MMW and the BKSX? I had originally thought that the <whole body scanner>'s were an imaging machine that simply virtually stripped you. I didn't realize there were multiple kinds. And also, what does WTMD stand for?

N830MH Nov 13, 2010 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by loreleis (Post 15134051)
Does the Humphrey Terminal have any <whole body scanner>?

No, Not on the lists. Sorry!

TamCaP Nov 13, 2010 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90 (Post 15134637)
What's the difference between the MMW and the BKSX? I had originally thought that the <whole body scanner>'s were an imaging machine that simply virtually stripped you. I didn't realize there were multiple kinds. And also, what does WTMD stand for?

BKSX (backscatter) uses low level X-ray that is blocked by your skin, yet not by your clothes. Moreover, some radiation is reflected instead of being absorbed. By combining those two ideas you get a "nude" picture. Generally considered to be the "worse" machine, as X-ray is pretty dangerous on itself. Lots of discussion about bksx science and health effects is going on. Many scientists are however quite concerned. I personally would avoid backscatter at ALL cost. Unfortunately, it is the prevailing machine in the US airports as the former DHS head is involved with one of the manufacturers.

MMW uses microwaves to build a nude picture. Considered safer than bksx, yet there are some health concerns as well. I would chose MMW over BKSX any day, yet I still consider opt-out to be the lesser evil. On minority of the airports.

BKSX usually looks like two large solid blocks facing each other with a gap in the middle. MMW usually looks more like a cabin or a tube to stand in.

WTMD: Walk-Through Metal Detector.

DevilDog438 Nov 13, 2010 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90 (Post 15134637)

Here is some information I put together, with images of what the three TSA-approved devices look like.