Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Off-Duty TSA Worker Charged With Threatening to Kill a Somali Man

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Off-Duty TSA Worker Charged With Threatening to Kill a Somali Man

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2010, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Post Off-Duty TSA Worker Charged With Threatening to Kill a Somali Man

Off-Duty TSA Worker Charged With Threats

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO)
7-29-10

Felony charges have been filed against an off-duty TSA worker accused of threatening to kill a Somali man Monday night.

Minneapolis Police arrested 63-year-old George Loren Thompson after they said they heard him screaming threats and chasing the victim in the Cedar Riverside neighborhood. They said he was drunk and had two loaded guns on him, along with a permit to carry.

The victim told police it all started when he was getting into his car on Cedar Avenue. That's where he said Thompson, whom he had never met, asked, "Are you Somali?"

When the victim said yes, Thompson allegedly responded, "Come here. I am gonna f---ing kill you."

Click through for the rest
Old Jul 30, 2010, 7:25 am

With those "microexpressions", I wonder how he was not spotted ahead of time by his SPOT colleagues...
Old Jul 30, 2010, 7:27 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
but, but, but, what about the comprehensive background checks, and the BDO's????
Old Jul 30, 2010, 7:50 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
"And another one bites the dust yea another one bites the dust"
Old Jul 30, 2010, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does the person pictured above project a professional appearance that would be desirable for those interacting with the public?

I really don't know what TSA is trying to accomplished but based on personal observation and a growing list of news reports there seems to be little concern at TSA for having any reasonable standards of personal responsibility, appearance or ability.

No wonder TSA has the bad reputation it does.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 8:06 am

(Tried to post picture of sad sack santa) http://wvs.topleftpixel.com/06/12/24/

TSO.....Jolly old elf.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 9:58 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

I'm sure some here wouldn't mind that guy doing a "secondary" on 12 year-old boys "just to be on the safe side". Think of the children. "We're keeping you safe."

OR

Can you imagine if this guy had duty in the secret room that checked all of the scans from the Nude-o-Scopes? Frightening.

TSA - because we can...
Old Jul 30, 2010, 10:18 am

Yessiree, Bob, us folks at TSA sho' got nothin' but the best working for us...law abiding, respectable folks keepin' America safe...
Old Jul 30, 2010, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
I'm sure some here wouldn't mind that guy doing a "secondary" on 12 year-old boys "just to be on the safe side". Think of the children. "We're keeping you safe."

OR

Can you imagine if this guy had duty in the secret room that checked all of the scans from the Nude-o-Scopes? Frightening.

TSA - because we can...
Ick!

TSA - Keepin 'Merica Safe
Old Jul 30, 2010, 10:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by iluv2fly

OR

TSA - because we can...
Yes, truly frightening. I'd like to see a t-shirt with his picture and some phrasing to the effect of "this person could have seen you naked at the airport" or "this person could have groped your son at the airport."
Old Jul 30, 2010, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by doober
Yes, truly frightening. I'd like to see a t-shirt with his picture and some phrasing to the effect of "this person could have seen you naked at the airport" or "this person could have groped your son at the airport."
TK, perhaps a new shirt is in order!!
Old Jul 30, 2010, 11:08 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
A TSA spokesperson released a brief statement regarding Thompson's charges, which read: "TSA holds its security officers to the highest professional and ethical standards. TSA investigates all allegations of misconduct and will take appropriate action after obtaining relevant facts as warranted.
which in english with the bovine excrement removed means nuthin's gonna happen
Old Jul 30, 2010, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A TSA spokesperson released a brief statement regarding Thompson's charges, which read: "TSA holds its security officers to the highest professional and ethical standards. TSA investigates all allegations of misconduct and will take appropriate action after obtaining relevant facts as warranted.

But Lynn, another TSA spokesperson says:

The officers are doing their best to keep threats off of planes - and nobody's perfect
Old Jul 30, 2010, 1:51 pm

Now, now - nowhere does it say he was working at the time of this incident as a TSO nor was he in uniform. Why can't we all learn to compartmentalize.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 2:08 pm

I wonder if he ever got an TSA employee of the month award...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.