Wiki Posts
Search

Airport photography ??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2010, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Airport photography ??

Often discussed, now a statement from TSA and quickly disproven.

Tough to remember that TSA is just suppose to keep WEI off of airplanes.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...502795_pf.html

Vorus, 19, said TSA workers told him he was not allowed to take pictures of the security checkpoint or TSA personnel. The TSA does not prohibit photographing, videotaping or filming at screening locations, spokeswoman Lauren Gaches said. TSA employees may ask photographers to stop only if they are interfering with the screening process or taking pictures of X-ray monitor screens, which Vorus says he was not doing.

After a lengthy back-and-forth, Vorus snapped photos of two airports authority police officers who had been called in to help. He says one officer tackled him, took his camera and deleted pictures.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
oh I smell a lawsuit coming, and how nice its in TSAs DC backyard.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 3:03 pm

Good thing to pictures are easily recovered with software. Why would you tackle someone that took your picture? Unless you believe cameras will steal your soul.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 3:25 pm

Programs: HH-S WS-G
Originally Posted by Scubatooth
oh I smell a lawsuit coming, and how nice its in TSAs DC backyard.
And what do you think are the odds of that video footage not being "accidentally erased?

Originally Posted by deadpass
Good thing to pictures are easily recovered with software. Why would you tackle someone that took your picture? Unless you believe cameras will steal your soul.
True the pictures could be recovered pretty easily
Old Jul 26, 2010, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Polar Man
And what do you think are the odds of that video footage not being "accidentally erased?
Given TSAs history, quite high, but that adds fuel to the fire as that can be pointed out in court.

These photos need to be recovered and put online just to embarrass TSA even more.

TSA Delinda Est
Old Jul 26, 2010, 4:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Scubatooth
Given TSAs history, quite high, but that adds fuel to the fire as that can be pointed out in court.

These photos need to be recovered and put online just to embarrass TSA even more.

TSA Delinda Est
it was the police that he took photos of, and that tackled him, not the TSA. How is your point above relevant?
Old Jul 26, 2010, 5:03 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by star_world
it was the police that he took photos of, and that tackled him, not the TSA. How is your point above relevant?
Probably because the screener(s) had called their tame police friends to come stop the evil photographer ?
Old Jul 26, 2010, 5:04 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...c-airport.html
Old Jul 26, 2010, 5:23 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by star_world
The link provided by the OP should clear up your confusion.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Probably because the screener(s) had called their tame police friends to come stop the evil photographer ?

When ever there is a tape that shows TSA in the wrong it has never come to light, the excuse has been the camera either wasnt working or the tape was erased.

The photographer did nothing wrong as he was well within his rights to take photos. The smurfs are the ones that caused this and are just as much in the wrong as the cops. The photos do need to go online just to show one what the photographer was shooting and and to retaliate for the wrongs against him.

as for the lawsuit; the actions of the cops and of TSA warrant a suit as they are clearly in the wrong.

Recovering digital images is easier now compared to the film days as once film was ruined there was no recovery where as solid state media is a different story and its not deleted until it written over or the media is physically destroyed .

Considering the number of digital cameras that take video now a days im surprised this person wasn't taping it as well.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 7:38 pm

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
Huh?

He says one officer tackled him, took his camera and deleted pictures.
A police officer destroyed potential evidence?

I certainly hope that officer is relieved of his duties fairly quickly.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 7:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PhoenixRev

I hope you're not holding your breath on that one.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium

+100000

However, it's his word against the photographer's. I bet any video of the incident will never see the light of day
Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:10 pm

He won't be, too many times the department backs its officers.
http://carlosmiller.com/

Also, this to prevent data erasure:
http://www.sandisk.com/business-solutions/sd-worm

And/or this to transmit it to a secure off-site location:
http://www.eye.fi/

(I hope this isn't considered a commercial post, these are just two possible solutions that I know of to the problem at hand)
Old Jul 27, 2010, 12:37 am

I have the right not to be photographed or video taped.

I don't know what happened at that airport. But if someone is taking a picture of me while I'm patting down there friend I will ask them to stop because I do not want to be photographed.

How would you like it if you were trying to do your job and someone you don't know was taking pictures of you?

Also it is suspicious for someone to take picture of a government location or facility that has no atheistic looks. I could see someone taking pictures of the white house but why an ugly security checkpoint? Only reason one could think of is for intel on how to bypass the checkpoint and to take notes of its daily operations.

I know that sounds like paranoia but there are still people out there that want to cause great harm to our country.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Aug 8, 2010 at 9:15 pm Reason: remove imflammatory comment

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.