Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Peru
Reload this Page >

Just returned from Peru & Chile - BIG Thank You!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2012, 9:53 am
Original Poster

You may remember that I posted in late April/Early May regarding our upcoming trip to Peru & Chile. We have returned from that fabulous 11 day whirlwind tour of Cusco, Sacred Valley, Machu Picchu, Lake Titicaca, Lima, Easter Island and Santiago (wow, that was a mouthful!). It was fabulous and exceeded our already high expectations in every way and we wanted to say a big THANK YOU to the fabulous folks here on flyertalk who chimed in with helpful suggestions and advice (Special thanks to Villavic - the ever so kind Peru ambassador!). I will try to pass it forward by going through the latest posts and answering any questions I can while the info is still fresh on my mind.

As promised, I took copious notes and pictures and have started posting pics and travel commentary about each of the cities we visited - http://www.travelwhimsy.com/category/south-america/.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 2:30 am

Programs: DL SM, Amex Membership Rewards
how was Easter Island ? I'm looking into taking the direct flight from Lima next time I go to Peru. I did some research and the 3 day trip looks good. any suggestions ?
Old Jun 21, 2012, 9:37 am
Original Poster

It was fabulous! We just had one day there (crazy!) but we had the good fortune to find a wonderful taxi driver who took us on a full day tour of the entire island to make sure we hit all the major sites. I think 2-3 days would be the perfect amount of time for Easter Island.

Originally Posted by amieuro
how was Easter Island ? I'm looking into taking the direct flight from Lima next time I go to Peru. I did some research and the 3 day trip looks good. any suggestions ?
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:10 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by lotuspad
It was fabulous! We just had one day there (crazy!) but we had the good fortune to find a wonderful taxi driver who took us on a full day tour of the entire island to make sure we hit all the major sites.
How much did it cost you? Have you got his phone number? I also have one whole day in Easter Island coming up and was considering waking up at the crack of sparrows and renting a car
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:12 am
Original Poster

We paid $140 including gratuity. I'll see if I can dig out his number, but he speaks Spanish only. My high school Spanish was adequate enough to communicate.

We considered renting a car, but we don't drive manual and since we were pressed for time, we figured it made sense to go with a local.

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
How much did it cost you? Have you got his phone number? I also have one whole day in Easter Island coming up and was considering waking up at the crack of sparrows and renting a car
Old Jun 22, 2012, 3:25 am

Programs: DL SM, Amex Membership Rewards
I understand that renting a car is very expensive. There is only 1 gas station on the whole island. lol. I'm going to take an organised 3 day package tour. I think it's a good deal considering that it includeds pickup from airport all transfers and hotel stay and trips to the major points of interest on the island.
I've read there is a USD 100,00 recoprical visa that Americans pay. did you pay for that ? I will also book my trip and pay for it when I'm in Lima so I guess I have to pay the infamous " grino tax" also.
sounds like you had a great 11 day whirlwind trip. that's a lot to absorb in a short amount of time.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 8:45 am

Thanks for the info lotuspad I speak Spanish and drive a stick too but it is great to have options if you have a cellphone for Mr Driver
Old Jun 22, 2012, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Found it!

Sergio Neira S.
Phone: 032-2100700
Cell: 7965-3595
email: benjamin_245 at hotmail

Good luck, JohnnyColombia!
P.S. Spanish and Stick...I'm impressed. I can still hear the laughter from my husband and mom every time I opened my mouth to translate during this trip. Apparently I gave all the Spanish I learned back to my teachers years ago...

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Thanks for the info lotuspad I speak Spanish and drive a stick too but it is great to have options if you have a cellphone for Mr Driver
Old Jun 22, 2012, 8:05 pm
Ambassador: Peru

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
As promised, I took copious notes and pictures and have started posting pics and travel commentary about each of the cities we visited - http://www.travelwhimsy.com/category/south-america/.
It says.. Sorry, the page you were looking for could not be found
I would love to see your pics.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Oops sorry about that...bad link. Please go to travelwhimsy.com. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Villavic
It says.. Sorry, the page you were looking for could not be found
I would love to see your pics.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 8:23 am

Found it!

Sergio Neira S.
Phone: 032-2100700
Cell: 7965-3595
email: benjamin_245 at hotmail

Good luck, JohnnyColombia!
P.S. Spanish and Stick...I'm impressed. I can still hear the laughter from my husband and mom every time I opened my mouth to translate during this trip. Apparently I gave all the Spanish I learned back to my teachers years ago...
Thanks a bunch lotuspad

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.