FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other North and South American Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-north-south-american-airlines-472/)
-   -   Sun Country Plane Question (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-north-south-american-airlines/1962871-sun-country-plane-question.html)

qsurplus Mar 27, 2019 6:15 pm

Sun Country Plane Question

I am looking at Flight SY473 in august 2019 and the seat selection is showing 2 on each side for the 1st 4 rows and being sold as their 4" extra legroom and extra recline.
The seat selection would appear to be the 737-700 with the 1st class section.
Does anyone have any idea if this will be the plane/seat arrangement would possibly be flying this route or is it just wishful thinking?
Thanks in advance

ATLflyer2017 Mar 31, 2019 6:28 pm

Possibly a blocked middle seat kind of like European business class?

nws2002 May 2, 2019 4:37 pm

Old post, but just in case anyone else searches.

If you see rows with no middle seats, it is a flight planned on a 737-700. However, for operational reasons, they may upgauge it to the 737-800 and keep the middle seats blocked. No refund of seat fees will be provided in this case.

mrwhizzard May 9, 2019 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by nws2002 (Post 31061406)
If you see rows with no middle seats, it is a flight planned on a 737-700. However, for operational reasons, they may upgauge it to the 737-800 and keep the middle seats blocked. No refund of seat fees will be provided in this case.

They may also switch to a 3-across per side and not block the middle seats. When I complained, I got this response:

We are in the process of putting brand new seats in all of our planes, in order to minimize disruption, we do one or two planes at a time. At the time of booking, the seat map may have shown 3 seats with the middle seat blocked out as we were unsure what time of aircraft you’d be accommodated on. Now that we have completed our re-configuration, the seat map has been adjusted to show 3 seats across.

ksandness May 30, 2019 8:13 am

Originally Posted by jackvogt (Post 30950598)
Possibly a blocked middle seat kind of like European business class?

That's exactly what you'll get.

I flew SC during the period when they were transitioning from the old style (a real first class) to the new style (blocked off middle seats where you get instant coffee and a "meal" the size of a hot dog carton). I paid for first class, which was slightly worse than usual on the way from MSP>LAX but still identifiable as first class (big leather seats and real food), but when I flew home out of SFO, I got the "new style." The only compensation they were willing to give was 500 extra miles, and since the only reason I ever flew on Sun Country was their affordable and pleasant first class, that was the end for me. Other former Sun Country fans have been similarly disappointed.

Let the buyer beware.

By the way, their Facebook page is full of complaints about lost luggage on non-stop flights. When I arrived at MSP back from SFO, it took 45 minutes to start getting the luggage to the carousel, even though we were on literally the last flight of the day into that terminal, and my bag came out half an hour later, even though it was tagged "priority." That wasn't as bad as losing the bag, but after landing at 11:00PM, I didn't get my bag till 12:30AM.

Since then, I have reluctantly switched to Delta, because Sun Country no longer offers value unless you're willing to put up with anything to snag a cheap flight.

Jagger3939 Jun 3, 2019 10:03 am

I love Sun Country, and understand why they want to transition to the ULCC space, but their First Class Product was a major selling point at their prior price point. I'm disappointed at a minimum, they didn't keep the seats and market it as a Big Front Seat, like Spirit did/does.