Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Spirit Airlines | Free Spirit
Reload this Page >

Why Spirit Airlines could be a good Oneworld Connect member

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:52 am
Original Poster

1. The number of destinations it serves in the United States (some of them seem to be American Airlines destinations).
  2. Its ultra low-cost carrier business model.
  3. Its presence in Latin America

Last edited by l etoile; Mar 10, 2019 at 10:29 am
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: Delta Plat
There is a saying in Spanish since you bring up Latin America. "Lo barato sale caro" which translates too "Whats cheap ends up being expensive."
Spanish and vincewy like this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Absolutely not! There is no way to join Oneworld Alliance. Sorry!
Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EmilyH2004
  1. The number of destinations it serves in the United States (some of them seem to be American Airlines destinations).
Same as Amtrak. Maybe they should join OW!
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:44 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
I've noticed a lot of people use Spirit to position themselves for international trips. If they could somehow offer an alliance of some sort it may be helpful. Unfortunately, AA is very threatened by Spirit and the other ULCCs so they would never allow them to join Oneworld because there would be too much overlap.
Spanish likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 2:37 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
It would be cool, but AA doesn’t even allow combinable fares with their own basic economy tickets, so I think doing so with a competitor is a nonstarter.
Old May 28, 2019, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Don't forget that Spirit considers bags "overweight" at 40 pounds, not the industry standard of 50. It's not hard to get to 40, especially if the bag itself has some weight. There's also the disparity in carry-on policy to iron out, and Spirit also has a few flights like the LIM ones where they won't let you even pay for an additional bag (i.e. embargoes).

You could argue than an A319 beats a jungle jet, especially if you have a carry on you can carry with the A319 rather than having force-checked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.