Wiki Posts
Search

AM 787 - Clase Premier

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2013, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Fairmont Premier, DL, CO
AM 787 - Clase Premier

Has anyone flown the new Aeromexico 787 in business class? How are the seats? I am flying JFK-MEX-JFK later this month and noticed AM uses it on this route. I usually fly AA (as an EXP) connecting through MIA or DFW, but am considering AM to try out the 787.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 8:57 am

Programs: LATAMPASS, Copa ConnectMiles Gold
I few the 787 on AM's inaugural flight, MEX-MTY. Really liked the business class seats and cabin. Though a short flight, they served a nice breakfast, and I still managed to test the seat in lie-flat position -- seemed like it would be very comfortable for sleeping on a long flight.

I'm not sure what the seat width is, but they seem wider than LAN's 767 lie-flat business class seats. I also like that there's a pretty generous amount of storage space around you.

Overall, I was impressed, and hope to get the chance to fly on a long-haul overseas route. Other than JFK, AM is also using their 787's to Paris and Tokyo, with new destinations beginning next spring.

If you're interested, I posted a review on the experience, with photos:
http://mexdfmagazine.com/2013/09/23/...ght-in-mexico/
Old Nov 5, 2013, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Thanks, that was very helpful!
Old Nov 6, 2013, 7:18 am

I flew the JFK-MEX in J. Received a free upgrade as a DL PM. Full three-course meal service, but nothing spectacular. Seats were lie-flat and comfortable. Crew was however, unfriendly. A little disappointing on the soft product side.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks - I've flown AM in the past on the JFK-MEX-JFK route in J and had similar experiences regarding in flight service.

I decided to fly AA for JFK-MEX (through DFW) and try AM's 787 on the return trip. I would have booked AM round-trip, but J was actually sold out for the JFK-MEX leg. Hopefully there is no aircraft change! I will report back after the trip.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 3:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by DarrenChannel
I few the 787 on AM's inaugural flight, MEX-MTY. Really liked the business class seats and cabin. Though a short flight, they served a nice breakfast, and I still managed to test the seat in lie-flat position -- seemed like it would be very comfortable for sleeping on a long flight.

I'm not sure what the seat width is, but they seem wider than LAN's 767 lie-flat business class seats. I also like that there's a pretty generous amount of storage space around you.

Overall, I was impressed, and hope to get the chance to fly on a long-haul overseas route. Other than JFK, AM is also using their 787's to Paris and Tokyo, with new destinations beginning next spring.

Thanks for the link. That's the pmCO BusinessFirst seat. It's a comfortable seat. The biggest complaint is narrow footwells and it appears AM has solved that problem by spacing the seats farther than UA/CO does.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by DarrenChannel

That meal is a lot better than the slop served on a "dinner" MEX/SFO.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 8:31 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
There's nothing like having a soggy ham and cheese sandwich and a glass of champagne to round out a trip.

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
That meal is a lot better than the slop served on a "dinner" MEX/SFO.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by snorkmaster
There's nothing like having a soggy ham and cheese sandwich and a glass of champagne to round out a trip.
Not a bubble to be seen on the SFO route.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 12:25 am

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by Kacee
Thanks for the link. That's the pmCO BusinessFirst seat. It's a comfortable seat. The biggest complaint is narrow footwells and it appears AM has solved that problem by spacing the seats farther than UA/CO does.
as far as footwell space, only the bulkhead J seats have the wide-open footwells. The rest have the same cramped spacing...so if you have big feet, try getting a bulkhead J seat!
Old Feb 13, 2015, 1:52 am

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
Just trolling through this old thread and saw your response...

Actually, real bubbles can be found! They're just not available pre-departure and need to be requested. I imagine they only have a few bottles on board as they're not remotely proactive about offering it and usually fill the glass in the galley.

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Not a bubble to be seen on the SFO route.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 6:27 pm

Any suggestions for best seats in Clase Premier? Row 1 is all taken and I will be flying solo.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 5:23 am

Will be flying AM57 NRT-MEX in a week. After reading reviews about curtain lights and noises, decided against row 1. Also worried about being close to Y cabin in row 6... so I've settled on row 3. Will report back.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 7:43 pm

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by savekenny
Will be flying AM57 NRT-MEX in a week. After reading reviews about curtain lights and noises, decided against row 1. Also worried about being close to Y cabin in row 6... so I've settled on row 3. Will report back.
I flew this last week. Turned out there were two infants onboard in rows 1 and 6. Boy, am I glad I didn't choose row 6. The demographics of the cabin was interesting to say the least (this is an interesting route to begin with): the vast majority of it was filled by a Japanese tour group geared towards seniors who spoke no English and their poor guide sat in coach. I could count just a couple of Latin Americans and what appeared to be Japanese businessmen.

Most of the crew were helpful, including two outstanding ones: one Mexican female FA and the sole Japanese FA. The rest of the crew was not very motivated, in particular one Mexican middle-aged / older male FA who was downright rude, consistently "missed" service items and protocols, and seemed to have missed training school. I'm usually very forgiving (I've flown enough China Eastern flights) but honestly, he should've been fired. My seatmate, a Japanese woman in her 70s, did not have the rice and main entree delivered to her until most others' trays were cleared. The Japanese FA noticed later and apologized over and over. The same happened to her again over pastries selection during breakfast and I wasn't even offered them (good to skip the carbs and I've learned not to complain).

I chose Western option for both meals and they were the worst catering I've had out of NRT. For lunch, the steak was 200% overcooked and dry as leather. Also, note that you DO NOT get extra crackers for the cheese course, a request for which I was sternly reprimanded by the aforementioned Mexican middle-aged male FA. Dessert was Haagen Dazs ice cream (green tea flavored). Mid-flight snacks included rice crackers, cookies, onigiri and American-style cup noodles. The egg omelette for breakfast was fine, but just a tad overseasoned. Also, no agua de coco was onboard even though the menu stated so, or maybe the same male FA just didn't bother to get it.

Another caution, there is no private storage cubby in this seat type, so be careful of dropping your phone into the seat, which happened to me.

Also, for an international connection in MEX, you still need to clear immigration and customs, which takes ~45 - 60 minutes depending on the lines... and it was very crowded when we arrived at 13:15.

In sum, I would NOT recommend this flight for Asia-NA transpac travel unless:
1. You need the extra MQM / EQM (I booked in D, which earn 1.5x MQM on DL, so I easily earned over 10k MQMs on this flight).
2. You have an ongoing connection to Latin America (I had a connection to HAV from MEX on a separate PNR, so going through the US wasn't really an option).
3. Or, you're actually going to Mexico City.

Photos: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...-aug-2015.html

Pocatello likes this.

Last edited by savekenny; Aug 29, 2015 at 7:49 pm
Old Aug 30, 2015, 9:43 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Flew LAX-MEX in 787 Classe Premier, great seats, even if its 2-2-2. However, food and service was typical of the 737 domestic route for this usual service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.