FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other North and South American Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-north-south-american-airlines-472/)
-   -   AM (Aeroméxico): Best J 788 / 789 Seats (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-north-south-american-airlines/1830717-am-aeromexico-best-j-788-789-seats.html)

callaweii Oct 9, 2017 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Tiomo17 (Post 28902415)
Hello, I am flying AM on the 787-900 In AM+ (Premium economy) on an overnight flight from Mexico City to Paris next month. Does anyone have advice on whether Row 12, 13, or 14 is best? It looks like 12 is a bulkhead, more legroom perhaps? But tray table in the armrest, no floor storage., babies often assigned to this row, etc. Seatguru colors Row 12 green and the other rows normal, but not clear to me from the description if the extra legroom compensates for the downside. Any advice welcome. Thanks so much!

I've only sat in row 12 on shorter flights but I would say avoid 12C and 12G as cabin/crew tend to walk into your space.

Mama Oct 9, 2017 4:28 pm

Please. AM + and premium economy are totally different breeds. There is no such thing as premium economy in any U.S. and Mexican airlines. AM + is just regular economy, but perhaps one inch more legroom. AM +, just like Delta Comfort, never spells out exactly how big the extra leg room is. I have to wonder why. :rolleyes:

zpaul Oct 10, 2017 6:16 am

Originally Posted by Mama (Post 28912940)
There is no such thing as premium economy in any U.S. and Mexican airlines.

Not true, AA just introduced their PE. It's still being rolled out, but it's bookable and a definite step up from Main Cabin Extra.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...um-economy.jsp

Delta is also rolling out Delta Select, which is already available on some aircraft.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...m-economy.html

Tiomo17 Oct 12, 2017 5:05 am

Thanks so much!

Originally Posted by callaweii (Post 28912042)
I've only sat in row 12 on shorter flights but I would say avoid 12C and 12G as cabin/crew tend to walk into your space.

paterwdb Nov 16, 2017 9:43 am

I am taking a group of 8 on the JFK-MEX flight in a few weeks in J. We booked out the 6 seats in the mini cabin and 7D/F for the remaining 2 seats. Wish we could have fit all 8 of us in the mini cabin as I think it would have been a blast. I put a married couple in front of us so they can just stare at each other the whole flight while we make the self-service bar our own.

I'll report back after the flight and let ya'll know how it goes.

terryversay Dec 7, 2018 7:27 am

Hi, I haven't flown AM, and therefore come to this thread/group for help. Normally, the two most important factors for me are 1) footrest space (not all J seats are created equal) and 2) noise from galley or the row behind. I am booked on a trip with both 787-8 and 787-9, and wonder if there are any recommendation?

On 787-8, does the bulkhead seats (Row 1&6) offer more legroom? This is usually true with other airlines such as UA, but I am not sure with AM.

Also, anyone recalls which door AM uses to disembark in the states? I would guess it's second door left?

Eastbay1K Dec 7, 2018 9:26 am

Originally Posted by terryversay (Post 30508785)
Hi, I haven't flown AM, and therefore come to this thread/group for help. Normally, the two most important factors for me are 1) footrest space (not all J seats are created equal) and 2) noise from galley or the row behind. I am booked on a trip with both 787-8 and 787-9, and wonder if there are any recommendation?

There couldn't be a 788 footwell worse than than the D seats. (There might be equals).

terryversay Dec 7, 2018 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 30509153)
There couldn't be a 788 footwell worse than than the D seats. (There might be equals).

what are the D seats?

pdxgoducks Mar 10, 2019 9:17 pm

Searching for firsthand knowledge of AM 788

Posted on another thread but thought I’d try here as well. Booked on MEX-NRT 14.5 hours on 788 in premier. Now trying to make the right choice on seat. Want window pair (wife and me) and currently have mini-cabin but I’m persuaded by this thread that it’s proximity to bassinet / row 1 of Y is not the best call.

like the bulkhead space however - anyone flown 1A/1B? Galley on opposite side so maybe not too bad?

RFNJ Mar 18, 2019 8:18 am

I fly this plane frequently - I routinely default to rows 4-6. Between the bathrooms/economy I think the mini cabin is an avoid. I think the bulkhead at 1A/B is not ideal, but an upgrade over the mini cabin.

pdxgoducks Mar 20, 2019 9:02 am

Originally Posted by RFNJ (Post 30900642)
I fly this plane frequently - I routinely default to rows 4-6. Between the bathrooms/economy I think the mini cabin is an avoid. I think the bulkhead at 1A/B is not ideal, but an upgrade over the mini cabin.

Thanks for the reply!

Aren’t 5&6 the minicabin rows? So you like or don’t like those? You’d recommend the smaller footwell over row 1 because of galley proximity?

RFNJ Mar 22, 2019 10:35 am

My apologies - I was referring to the 787-9 configuration. On the 787-8 I will opt for mid-main cabin. I don't have a problem with the footwells - but I am 5'10".

TominLazybrook Mar 27, 2019 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by zpaul (Post 28062308)
Hi, I have my first flights ever on AM coming up next month. On the SCL-MEX leg I'll be on the 789 with 1-2-1, and on the way back on the 788 with the 2-2-2 configs. Both of them have "mini-cabins" in the back - row 10 on the 789 and row 6 on the 788. Any benefit to these rows, or are they noisy? Any recommendations for "best" seats?

¡Mil gracias!

I flew MEX-SCL on the 789. I was in seat 1A in a 1-2-1 config. It was the best seat Id ever been in on any airline. I couldnt see any other passengers and had 4 windows. That seat had a ton of space around it too.

The 788 with 2-2-2 on the return was much more cramped. Little storage around the seat. A lot like an old British Airways plane buz class configuration.

atcanobbio Mar 29, 2019 1:55 pm

i just booked an AM award for mid June...TIJ-MEX-LHR. For the mean time, I selected 1D on the 788. Seat has a large footwell but I worry how noisy things could get with the galley.

For those who've flown on this plane and sat on a window seat, how difficult is it really to leap over the pax on the aisle seat? It seems the seat drops fairly low in bed mode, so it should not be too tough.

pdxgoducks Mar 31, 2019 11:31 am

Originally Posted by atcanobbio (Post 30943865)
i just booked an AM award for mid June...TIJ-MEX-LHR. For the mean time, I selected 1D on the 788. Seat has a large footwell but I worry how noisy things could get with the galley.

For those who've flown on this plane and sat on a window seat, how difficult is it really to leap over the pax on the aisle seat? It seems the seat drops fairly low in bed mode, so it should not be too tough.

I’ve been trying to find the same info. People have mentioned “oh I avoid row 1” but haven’t been able to find a good report on the experience and the trade offs.