Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Spirit Airlines | Free Spirit
Reload this Page >

Spirit: what's the biggest bag I can bring without getting charged carry-on fee?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spirit: what's the biggest bag I can bring without getting charged carry-on fee?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2016, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks!
Old Jan 20, 2016, 2:33 am

16x14x12, currently use either Ciao Rolling Tote from Costco or High Sierra Basic Boot bag.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:27 am

This is also somewhat of a YMMV thing, considering people have gotten away with much larger things but you never know what gate agent you're going to get. I was talking to a Spirit gate agent who suggested bringing a duffel bag so you can cram it into the sizer if necessary. My experience after flying with Spirit and other ULCCs dozens of times without ever paying a luggage or carryon fee is that if its a backpack they won't ask you to size it. I've brought enormous backpacks (once with clothes for a weekend in Florida and a full snorkel set including fins) and never once been asked to size it even when people with handheld or roller bags were asked to size theirs. The I figured it, worst case scenario, if they had asked me to fit it into the sizer (which it clearly wouldn't have) I would have switched my shoes for the fins and walked onboard with those instead.
CaptainMiles likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
This is also somewhat of a YMMV thing, considering people have gotten away with much larger things but you never know what gate agent you're going to get. I was talking to a Spirit gate agent who suggested bringing a duffel bag so you can cram it into the sizer if necessary. My experience after flying with Spirit and other ULCCs dozens of times without ever paying a luggage or carryon fee is that if its a backpack they won't ask you to size it. I've brought enormous backpacks (once with clothes for a weekend in Florida and a full snorkel set including fins) and never once been asked to size it even when people with handheld or roller bags were asked to size theirs. The I figured it, worst case scenario, if they had asked me to fit it into the sizer (which it clearly wouldn't have) I would have switched my shoes for the fins and walked onboard with those instead.
what are the dimensions of the sizers?
Old Jan 20, 2016, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by weltfrieden
what are the dimensions of the sizers?
The same posted by NJTrucker. 16 x 14 x 12.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!

If a Spirit Airlines plane is cancelled or severely delayed
due to purely mechanical issues(their fault), do they pay
for hotel rooms?

Last edited by weltfrieden; Jan 20, 2016 at 3:33 pm
Old Feb 8, 2016, 2:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Ex. PLT, Delta Diamond
Does spirit airlines make you place you carrier on in some contraction that will check the dimensions of the the luggage? This airline nickles and dimes you.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

wow... I love Spirit Airlines. They redefine the new low for the meaning of
"I don't bloody care about my company or its customers!"

In this case, it worked to my advantage. I decided to give Spirit a try because
DL and UA fares were more than double what Spirit charged on the same day.
I brought my standard size carry-on at the last minute. I figured I was going
to be charged $55, but whatever....

I got the the airport and tried to figure out how to pay the fee. The first agent
said "go right ahead" and the two gate agents gave me dirty looks like "why
are you bothering us, can't you see we're chatting here? get in line and
stuff yourself into the plane, what do we care?"
So I ended up not paying
anything for my Samsonite carry-on.(which usually raise the eyebrows of
UA agents because it's about 1 inch too tall)

On the plane, I tried to buy some food and drink. Again, I didn't mind paying
but the flight attendant was acting like I was a street bum begging her for a
one-night-stand. She basically just tossed the soda and bag of chips in my lap.
(did the same to other passengers as well)

I don't know what to think.. but at least I saved $55. (plus the huge discount
on the ticket compared to DL and UA tickets on that day) The seat was really
tight, but I lucked and had no seatmate, so I just sat sideways.

Last edited by weltfrieden; Feb 12, 2016 at 8:27 am
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:27 am

Thanks!
Don't know if anyone has noticed that starting the end of March the new "personal" carryon "free" bag size will be changed to:
17 x 13 x 8. How lovely!
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:58 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
I believe this change has been cancelled. It's been deleted from the website, at least.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by FallenPlat
I believe this change has been cancelled. It's been deleted from the website, at least.
That is fantastic news. I frequently travel with a duffel bag that I can squeeze to fit, so the loss of nearly half the space was a big thorn in my side.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 3:33 pm

Help me understand - the current dimensions are 16x14x12, which is 42 linear inches. My ebag Mother Lode Jr is 19.5x14x9, or 42.5 linear inches.

Does the airline go by the dimensions or linear inches? Will I be ok if I am a half inch off (the bag will not be crammed full, so I can squeeze it down).

Thank you!
Old Feb 15, 2016, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 24601 les miz
Help me understand - the current dimensions are 16x14x12, which is 42 linear inches. My ebag Mother Lode Jr is 19.5x14x9, or 42.5 linear inches.

Does the airline go by the dimensions or linear inches? Will I be ok if I am a half inch off (the bag will not be crammed full, so I can squeeze it down).

Thank you!
Does Sprite Airlines use their sizer to make that determination? I'm not sure...
Old Feb 15, 2016, 5:44 pm

Thanks!

If a Spirit Airlines plane is cancelled or severely delayed
due to purely mechanical issues(their fault), do they pay
for hotel rooms?
Yes,,, as long as you are not at your originating airport.
I have had 2 cancelled flights. First one was in Lima, Peru and they put me up in the Lima Sheraton with food vouchers and transportation. They offered nothing to folks originating in Lima and I heard one guy pleading his case as his home was 3 hours away. Not sure about the outcome.
Second time was a connection in FLL coming back from GUA heading to ATL.
They put me up in a Marriott Suites property with food vouchers and transportation.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 12:43 am

Does Sprite Airlines use their sizer to make that determination? I'm not sure...
My experience is they go by the sizer since the personal item is supposed to go under the seat in front of you. I've seen bags sticking out above the sizer getting charged as carryon at the gate. Any bag you can squash down to fit in the sizer will get by. The one in the photo above would surely cost someone some extra money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.