Search

Spirit $9 Fare Club Refund??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2010, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM Gold
Unhappy Spirit $9 Fare Club Refund??

edit: SEE POST # 5 FOR OUTCOME.

In a moment of sillyness, I plunked down the $40 bucks to be able to look at Spirit's $9 fares and was completely unimpressed. With taxes and fees the routes I was interested in were quite expensive.

Within 45 mins, I cancelled my $9 Club membership on-line. There seems to be no one to call and talk to. I have disputed the charge with my CC as false advertising. Anyone successful in getting their $40 returned or is it just a ripoff?

Last edited by nzpilot; Jul 29, 2010 at 12:02 pm Reason: Update
Old Jul 27, 2010, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA,CO,US, and SPG Gold (just like everyone else :P)
Just a ripoff like everything else spirit offers...
Old Jul 27, 2010, 7:27 pm

Programs: Free Spirit, $9 Fare Club
$9 Fare Club fees are non-refundable and memberships cannot be reinstated once cancelled. This is disclosed in the T&Cs when joining as well as the cancellation process. All fees/taxes are viewable whether you are a member or not while booking on spiritair.com

nzpilot - I've sent you a PM regarding your cancelled membership.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by cnsoccer
Just a ripoff like everything else spirit offers...
I beg to differ. Spirit delivers exactly what it promises. They have discount fares and you add what you want a la carte. You pay for what you chose.

Compare and contrast to my last minute emergency ticket from PHL to CLT for over $900 on a legacy. I didn't even get water. They said I'd have to pay $2 for the water. It was a day trip and I had no luggage and nothing to stow beyond what fit under my seat.

I do this kind of trip to FLL and back all the time. I fly Spirit because they deliver exactly what they promise and I have no horrific surprises like I find on the legacies.

Even SWA now just changed some major rules that will make them less of an option for many.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM Gold
The good news....

Through the attention of freespiritguru I have now received a one-time exception to their policy of a $39.95 credit toward future travel.

I was a $9 Fare Club member for only 45 minutes through a misunderstanding on my part that it was required even to see the Club fares. This is incorrect. The fact is that the fares are visible beforehand if you pay close attention to their website. The lesson learned here is NOT to join the $9 Fare Club until you are ready to book and take advantage of one of their promotional fares.

I also learned that they have an 800 # at which you can talk to a human. This is on their website under HELP item #5.

I don't know much about Spirit Airlines, but I am v encouraged that they have an active presence on FT....
Old Jul 29, 2010, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA,CO,US, and SPG Gold (just like everyone else :P)
Wow I have to say I nver even expected that much from Spirit. I guess I have to retract my previous statement and say that I too agree that having a presence on FT may be a good thing. Thnks freespiritguru.....
Old Aug 1, 2010, 1:55 am

Programs: AMEX Gold MR into Avios, MileagePlus; AAdvantage; Skypesos
This again was another example of how freespiritguru always seems to go above and beyond the call of duty.

Kudos to you Sir!!^
Old Aug 13, 2010, 12:50 pm

Exclamation False Advertising OnLine, Blatant - screenshot

Originally Posted by HRDiva
Spirit delivers exactly what it promises.
Maybe most of the time, but it's been quite awhile since i've been snookered by blatant false advertising.

I made the reservation purchase online after having run across a page on their site that advertised the possibility to "Save Money by Pre-Purchasing Your Checked Bags," but, upon asking about the clearly promised discount for the first bag, I was told quite unapologetically that this was not the case, and the site had simply not been updated yet.

When I asked "if the pricetag at the supermarket said $5, but the cashier insisted the cost was actually 10$, would that be false advertising," the rep promptly took every opportunity to interrupt and talk over me, repeating the same line like a mantra.

It took about ten more minutes to educate the rep on the finer points of customer service, after which I still got bupkus, which leads me to differ, myself.

Quite simply, another ripoff.

As a website designer myself, I know how simple (and crucial) it is to delete an outdated page; especially when dealing with currency transactions, sales, and the like. Unprofessional.

I haven't been so dissapointed in the shoddy treatment received over the phone by an already paid service provider in years. Truly, I had hoped an airline could at least honor it's posted promises.

Let's see how long it takes for them to remove the page, since it apparently has been rendered bogus since the first of the month.

Here's a link to a page I was looking at while on the phone with a real person via the 800 number provided after having purchased a reservation.

http://www.spiritair.com/SalesInform...spx?number=334

And here's a screenshot, taken while on the phone with the rep, with the date in the upper right hand corner.

Last edited by flyingArt; Aug 13, 2010 at 5:17 pm Reason: uploaded images
Old Aug 15, 2010, 6:37 pm

I'm sorry you experienced a deviance from the delivery of what they promise.

I would suggest if you want a speedy satisfactory response, that you first contact our member here, freespiritguru, rather than first posting publicly. Glitches happen and we all know that!

I'm sure our member can get it resolved for you. In the meantime I just booked an overnight trip to a birthday party. All I need is a "fit under the seat" carryon. I saved mega bucks over the competitors. I love Spirit.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 7:55 pm

I'm sorry you experienced a deviance from the delivery of what they promise.

I would suggest if you want a speedy satisfactory response, that you first contact our member here, freespiritguru, rather than first posting publicly. Glitches happen and we all know that!

I'm sure our member can get it resolved for you. In the meantime I just booked an overnight trip to a birthday party. All I need is a "fit under the seat" carryon. I saved mega bucks over the competitors. I love Spirit.
Is there a "size" specification for a "fit under the seat" or is there a charge for that also ???
Thanks

Old Aug 16, 2010, 9:02 pm

I don't know. I know my few clothes and cosmetics for an overnight trip will squish under the seat.

And I'm glad not to be paying for the 100 pounds someone else is putting on the plane! And I'm glad to not be paying for the delays caused by people wanting to bring their entire house onto the plane as overhead baggage.

I'm told that planes are now going out on time again since this nonsense stopped.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 2:19 pm

I don't know. I know my few clothes and cosmetics for an overnight trip will squish under the seat.

And I'm glad not to be paying for the 100 pounds someone else is putting on the plane! And I'm glad to not be paying for the delays caused by people wanting to bring their entire house onto the plane as overhead baggage.

I'm told that planes are now going out on time again since this nonsense stopped.
LOL, I try to get my wife to "pack light", but not gonna happen.

My only complaint with Spirit and it probably goes for others as well, is the agent calling rows for boarding. Many times after they call the first set of rows, they say; "all others may now board" which defeats the purpose of boarding in an order.
Almost as bad as South West.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 4:00 am

Programs: FREE SPIRIT, WORLDPERKS, SKYMILES
Originally Posted by tugmember
Is there a "size" specification for a "fit under the seat" or is there a charge for that also ???
Thanks

Per the NK website......

Personal item dimensions may not exceed 16 inches by 14 inches by 12 inches (40 x 35 x 30cm).
Old Aug 21, 2010, 4:06 am

Programs: FREE SPIRIT, WORLDPERKS, SKYMILES

And just so you know....your "PERSONAL ITEM" does NOT HAVE TO be placed under the seat in front of you, it simply has be be able to "fit under the seat in front of you"

I am an NK F/A and we have been informed that we do not police any carry on items.

What we as F/As know is if you pay for a carry on item you are in Zone 1, which is useless to the F/As as we dont know when Zone 1, 2, 3, etc are boarding.

I have even had a pax come on and ask me a question...does my personal item have be be placed under my seat.....abosulutly not! you can place it anywhere, as long as it complies with FAA regs. You want to put in an overhead?? Knock yourself out! We now have plenty overhead space to go around.

And thanks for Flying with Spirit Airlines, we do appreciate your business(and this is coming from a 9 year Spirit F/A)

Welcome Aboard!!!!!
Old Aug 21, 2010, 8:02 am

Programs: AMEX Gold MR into Avios, MileagePlus; AAdvantage; Skypesos
Originally Posted by NK_Flyer
And just so you know....your "PERSONAL ITEM" does NOT HAVE TO be placed under the seat in front of you, it simply has be be able to "fit under the seat in front of you"

Welcome Aboard!!!!!
Mmmh that's interesting....
Thank you!!!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.