Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Ryanair
Reload this Page >

RyanAir airport check-in fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RyanAir airport check-in fees

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2009, 7:54 pm

Programs: BA silver, VS, Jet, Carlson gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
Give me some examples then!
Both Air Berlin and Aer Lingus sneak a compulsory 'Handling fee' onto the total price well into the booking process, after you've chosen your flights, and unlike Ryanair you can't avoid it by paying with an Electron card!

It's an additional £8 with Aer Lingus, and even more with Air Berlin.

Last edited by abfab; Feb 19, 2009 at 8:00 pm
Old Feb 20, 2009, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by Aviatrix
Give me some examples then!

I have booked lots of flights with lots of different airlines this past year, and not one of them has advertised anything other than the end price. If you know of airlines that are still non-compliant then why not list them instead of referring people to Google?
If you can read German go to the following :
http://www.vzbv.de/go/presse/1111/7/59/index.html
It is from 22 Jan 2009 Here an excerpt from the article:
Tuifly hat seine Seiten inzwischen geändert, Condor will dies bis Ende Januar tun, EasyJet bis Ende März. Germanwings hat nur einige Voreinstellungen geändert. Gegen Intersky Luftfahrt, Ryanair, eDreams und Air Malta laufen die Mahnverfahren noch. Reagieren diese Unternehmen nicht, droht ihnen wie Air Berlin eine Klage
The airlines are named!!
Old Feb 20, 2009, 6:05 am

Programs: Miles & More, Amex
Originally Posted by anjode
If you can read German go to the following :
http://www.vzbv.de/go/presse/1111/7/59/index.html
It is from 22 Jan 2009 Here an excerpt from the article:

Tuifly hat seine Seiten inzwischen geändert, Condor will dies bis Ende Januar tun, EasyJet bis Ende März. Germanwings hat nur einige Voreinstellungen geändert. Gegen Intersky Luftfahrt, Ryanair, eDreams und Air Malta laufen die Mahnverfahren noch. Reagieren diese Unternehmen nicht, droht ihnen wie Air Berlin eine Klage
The airlines are named!!
For the non german readers:

Tuifly changed their web page, Condor will do so until end of January, EasyJet until end of March. Germanwings had changed a view pre-settings. The EU warning is still in place for Intersky Luftfahrt, Ryanair, eDreams and Air Malta. If they don't react, then they will be sued - such as AirBerlin.

Well the airlines have been named, but only 5 out of all EU airlines are left. And - as to be expected - Ryanair is one of them. And I personally would be very surprised if Ryanair will act before taken to court.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Scrooge McDuck
Well the airlines have been named, but only 5 out of all EU airlines are left. And - as to be expected - Ryanair is one of them. And I personally would be very surprised if Ryanair will act before taken to court.
Thanks for the translation!.. It is not 5 out of all EU airlines, since this article is from the German Consumer Watchdogs, only those airlines which fly in/out of Germany would be named, since they are the ones the German Consumer watchdogs will sue. The other EU airlines are of no concerns to them. A newspaper article a few weeks ago, and I can't find it right now, spoke of over 20 airlines not in compliance. In a previous post above, Air Lingus was also mentioned, an Irish Airline which does not service Germany, but does business within the EU, is i.e. not mentioned in the German article.

Last edited by anjode; Feb 20, 2009 at 7:32 am
Old Feb 21, 2009, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by anjode
That has been true at some airports, but not all of them. We, for example, had to pay the fee in Hahn, Luebeck, Breslau and several others, while for example in Madrid it was not necessary. We therefore are now walking up to the check-in counter, and if they want the fee, we pay and request it back later, if not, just as well. It is a hit and miss situation, so do not count on it. I DO always though book the non-EU persons as EU persons with on-line check-in, avoiding the initial fee, I rather pay it at the airport, if necessary. And always the non-EU person(s) on a separate booking. It does not cost more, but avoids, at those airports where you do have to pay the fee, to have all of them pay, simply because there is one non-EU person in the group and you can't do on-line check-in for the others.

So rather than getting an unpleasant surprise on future Ryanair flights and joining the anti-ryanair group in this forum, I would suggest you book yourself and the Mrs on separate bookings. Just in case!

can you please comment this a bit more...
i have bought some 0.01 tickets and stated that all the passengers have EU passports (just so i can get many tickets, even if i dont know if i will use them), when in fact ALL of use carry passports of Ukraine (not EU)...
i have no problems paying the check in fee, my main concern would be that they allow me to fly if i pay this fee, and not claim that i have cheated them by stating we have EU passports (if they dont take the check in fee from me, that would be of course great, but not my primary aim).
I was happy to read your message... so you are sure this wont be a problem for us ??

thanks a lot
Old Feb 21, 2009, 3:20 am

one more thing to mention... it actually sometimes PAYS YOU to book people separately !!!

for now i only bought (not counting the 0.01p tix) tickets for one flight (Girona - Paris) for 6 people.... when i tried to book 6 people at once.. the price was 10 euro more for EACH !!! with a hit and miss system i found that there are 3 tix at 10e lower, so i bought those 3, and the other 3 at that higher price.. so 30e was saved by actually splitting the reservation (of course it could have been 1 out of 6 at a lower price... or even 5 of 6)....

so my rule of thumb would be to check the price for 1 ticket always, and then (if you travel in a group) check to see what prices you get when booking together....

one question i have (as i have never traveled with Ryanair yet), if i have 6 people on a ticket, and only 4 travel, i wont have any problems ??
Old Feb 21, 2009, 4:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
Nope, none.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 9:10 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Ryanair to cut all airport check-in desks

http://uk.reuters.com/article/allBre...53874020090221
Old Feb 22, 2009, 11:07 am

So much for "Non-EU citizens MUST check in at a desk because we MUST check their documents" (when no other airlines discriminates against non-EU citizens in this way). Looks like all of a sudden this alleged "requirement" has been conveniently forgotten...

Last edited by Aviatrix; Feb 22, 2009 at 1:22 pm
Old Feb 22, 2009, 11:24 am

What is the plan if online check-in fails, as it does for me periodically? Admittedly, I haven't tried with Ryanair, but I know with other airlines, online check-in unpredictably does not work.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by WillTravel
What is the plan if online check-in fails, as it does for me periodically? Admittedly, I haven't tried with Ryanair, but I know with other airlines, online check-in unpredictably does not work.
Even now, at least at the airports I flew from, you would not go to the check-in counter to get the boarding pass if you have a problem with on-line check-in. They would sent you to the information desk.

I usually go to the information desk, get a stamp and/or receipt on the failed print-out of the on-line check-in, and than proceed to the check-in counter and get the boarding pass. So that perhaps will be the same after the installation of the check-in machines!!??
Old Mar 3, 2009, 8:46 am

Weird, I was in London Stansted (STN) and I had a flight ticket to Oslo TORP (Sandefjord) and my norwegian friend bought 2 online tickets of course separated tickets, we didnt have any problem with our tickets only showing printed and passports. And when I had to go back to America my norwegian friend bought online tickets like before but I dont remember same booking or separated but yes we had problems with luggages because one of them was heavy so we had to pay.
One thing, I dont understand why EU citizens cant refund their tickets? I thought passagers's ticket from any country could be refunded, there is any exception? Sounds like discrimination.
should I tell my bf to buy one online ticket for him and one for me in separated way?

Im confused O_o

Last edited by DulcePaola; Mar 3, 2009 at 6:51 pm Reason: alanR, I re-edited
Old Mar 3, 2009, 11:18 am

DulcePaola could you repeat that with some punctuation please - and preferably not in txtspk .

Ryanair allow everybody holding a passport or ID card issued by an EEA (note not EU) country to use on-line checkin IF THEY DON'T HAVE CHECKED LUGGAGE.

As non-EEA folk can't check in online they are allowed to reclaim the airport checkin fee IF THEY DON'T HAVE CHECKED LUGGAGE.

So don't know why your Norwegian friend could check in online - assuming that's what you were asking

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.