Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

What do you think of TAP Biz Class - TRATL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2007, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Any thoughts and opinions about how TAP's Biz class compares with competitors in terms of comfort and value? I'm looking to go from JFK-VCE next Sept. Thanks
Old Nov 12, 2007, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
We flew TAP in what they call biz class EWR/MAD in September.
I don't think they fly from Kennedy.

We flew on an old 310. TAP offers a biz/first combo.

I've flown UA/LH, and SQ in international biz class. If I were to rate them:

SQ - 1
LH - 2
UA - 3
TAP - 10.

TAP thinks European, not American when it comes to delivering service. Check that. TAP think Portugese, not European. That would be slandering other European carriers. Just accept the fact that it's TAP's way, not the right way. Of course, if you're from Portugal, you'll have no problems since you know what to expect.

Just an example, they pass out headphones and the DVD player well after they serve the meal. The other carriers mentioned above, don't operate like that. Thank goodness.

It was also my opinion, that the FA's speak 'airplane English'. So while they think they understand you, they don't have a clue. It's not that way on UA/LH/SQ.

The IFE system is circa 1985. Trust me. Bring your Ipod, as all TAP offers is 6 or 7 channels.

The food was more than acceptable, as was the wine. ^
At EWR, they share the SAS lounge.

The very old seats lay back in the 150/160 range.

I got stuck flying them on an award ticket; and would still think twice about flying them again. I read that TAP has lower fares than other airlines. I wonder why.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 2:46 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
just go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/search.php?do=process

and search for TAP*. You'll find plenty of reports.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dhammer53
We flew TAP in what they call biz class EWR/MAD in September.
I don't think they fly from Kennedy.

We flew on an old 310. TAP offers a biz/first combo.

I've flown UA/LH, and SQ in international biz class. If I were to rate them:

SQ - 1
LH - 2
UA - 3
TAP - 10.

TAP thinks European, not American when it comes to delivering service. Check that. TAP think Portugese, not European. That would be slandering other European carriers. Just accept the fact that it's TAP's way, not the right way. Of course, if you're from Portugal, you'll have no problems since you know what to expect.

Just an example, they pass out headphones and the DVD player well after they serve the meal. The other carriers mentioned above, don't operate like that. Thank goodness.

It was also my opinion, that the FA's speak 'airplane English'. So while they think they understand you, they don't have a clue. It's not that way on UA/LH/SQ.

The IFE system is circa 1985. Trust me. Bring your Ipod, as all TAP offers is 6 or 7 channels.

The food was more than acceptable, as was the wine. ^
At EWR, they share the SAS lounge.

The very old seats lay back in the 150/160 range.

I got stuck flying them on an award ticket; and would still think twice about flying them again. I read that TAP has lower fares than other airlines. I wonder why.
Thanks for the input. Much appreciated and duly noted.
Old Nov 17, 2007, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA Premier Executive
I have 3 TAP flights coming up. I much prefer to use Lufthansa but they don't seem to be giving many tickets to United these days, i think they had a fight!

Anyway, I have three flights coming. One is Zurich to Lisbon (A319 Biz), Lisbon - Porto (Fokker100 Coach) and Porto - Newark (A330 Biz). I will let you know!
Old Nov 25, 2007, 5:34 am

As long as you avoid the old A310, TAP's new Business class on A330/340 with angled flat seats in 2-2-2 config is quite ok. I had an overnight flight LIS-JNB recently, and they only started lighting the cabin and breakfast service one hour before landing, that was appreciated.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 12:03 am
tff

Programs: FB LTPE, TP Gold, All Gold
This is my first post, I hope it's helpful.

Although I'm Portuguese, I believe I'm not that biased as I'm FB Elite+ – so you see I generally prefer to fly SkyTeam in general and AF in particular. I've flown TAP a few times, mostly in intra-European flights. If it isn't the best airline in terms of service for sure, it isn't either as bad as sometimes people picture it. Just to give you an idea, I recently flew FCO-EWR on CO (B762) and LIS-EWR on TP (A332), both in Y, and almost everything was better with TP: crew, food, IFE, seat comfort and seat pitch.

Now getting to your question.
Across the pond, by Sept next year, TP will not operate A310s anymore (as they will all be phased-out by late Aug 2008), so your biggest problem in terms of comfort has disappeared. Both the A332s and the A343s have the new C class lie-flat recaro seats and hopefully by then the new Panasonic's IFE system will be installed in all aircraft (AVOD and 20 available films). Currently, only the brand-new CS-TOL has it. The other A332s and A343s have PTVs but no AVOD and a limited choice of channels (such as, eg, CO).
Wines and food are very good and tasty, ranging from Portuguese food to International cuisine. If I'm not wrong, you have 4 choices. Wines are all Portuguese and all top-tier. The service has been upgraded as far as I've understood in terms of the way the food is served.
In terms of FAs, it's really a matter of luck.
The lounge at EWR is Virgin Atlantic's.
Lastly, even if TP has a punctuality problem, it generally does not affect the EWR flights. Delays in departure out of EWR are mostly caused by the airport's congestion in the 6PM bank-departure.
A caveat, though: you should obviously adjust your expectations to the price of your ticket. Don't expect the service provided by EK or by CX, but something (slightly) below, eg, AF's standards. Actually, you can check some of these stuff at http://www.flytap.com/USA/en/TopExecutive/.

As for the LIS-VCE flight, you should expect either an A319 or an A320. Except for some A320s (CS-TNA, -TNB, -TNE and -TNO), they are generally in good condition. Except for the mentioned aircrafts, all others (the vast majority) have leather seats. Seat configuration in C is 2-3, so I'd advise you to get a seat like 1A or 2A.
Food is good again, though I'm not sure if you have choices.
IFE is reduced to lie-flat screens spread throught the cabin with some soundless films.
In LIS, delays are frequent. The airport is very congested and under-dimensioned. However, flying from EWR to VCE that won't be a problem. Even if you arrive in from EWR late, they have a quick-transfer service which will pick you up directly at the incoming aircraft's door and leave you at the outgoing's. Aditionally, don't expect to be using jetways as there are very few of them.
If you have the time, you can go to TP's lounge, but don't expect anything fantastic: it's just an average lounge.
This said, if their long-haul service is slightly below average, TP's C class in intra-Europe flights is above average. As far as I've experienced, it's better than AFs and KLs.

Anyway, if you have the time, visit Lisbon; it's a magnificent city.

I hope this helps you in some way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.