Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Ryanair
Reload this Page >

Ryanair expand in Sweden, new base & ~ 20 new routes at Arlanda

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2021, 5:42 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum

Ryanair will start flying to Stockholm Arlanda Airport during the winter season 2021 when it will open a base. Initially, this will involve two aircraft and some twenty European destinations, which will mean nearly 90 new weekly departures from Arlanda. A number of destinations are new for the airport and complement Arlanda’s other destinations on offer. In conjunction with the set-up of operations, Ryanair will launch domestic service in Sweden for the first time, to Gothenburg and Malmö from Arlanda.

https://www.mynewsdesk.com/swedavia/...irport-3097377
———
How will this affect their base at “Stockholm” Skavsta and their flights from “Stockholm” Västerås? I can’t imagine their Västerås flights surviving.
Old May 6, 2021, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by WindowSeatFlyer
How will this affect their base at “Stockholm” Skavsta and their flights from “Stockholm” Västerås? I can’t imagine their Västerås flights surviving.
AFAIK, NYO was downgraded from a "base" some time ago. It is unclear if this change will lead to more FR flights from "Stockholm" or if the flights only will move to ARN from NYO and VST.
Old May 6, 2021, 7:38 am
Suspended

Location: United States (mostly), New Zealand (sometimes), Sweden (now and then)
Originally Posted by Im a new user
AFAIK, NYO was downgraded from a "base" some time ago. It is unclear if this change will lead to more FR flights from "Stockholm" or if the flights only will move to ARN from NYO and VST.
NYO may survive since there's a fair amount of people living within a couple of hours (Linköping, Norrköping, etc.) and for them NYO is a lot more convenient to access compared to going all the way to ARN.
The VST flights, on the other hand, are likely gone because getting from Västerås, Örebro, etc. to ARN is very easy.
Old May 6, 2021, 8:42 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Interesting destinations...

Planned routes and number of weekly departures, Winter 2021, from Stockholm Arlanda Airport (ARN)

From Stockholm Arlanda Airport

Weekly departures

Domestic

Göteborg Landvetter Airport (GOT)

Malmö Airport (MMX)

International

Aalborg Airport (AAL), Denmark

Alicante Airport (ALC), Spain

Karlsruhe Baden-Baden Airport (FKB), Germany

Banja Luka International Airport (BNX), Bosnia and Herzegovina

Bologna Airport (BLQ), Italy

Brussels South Charleroi Airport (CRL), Belgium

Gdansk Lech Walesa Airport (GDN), Poland

Kaunas International Airport (KUN), Lithuania

John Paul II International Krakow-Balice Airport (KRK), Poland

Liverpool John Lennon Airport (LPL), Great Britain

London Stansted Airport (STN), Great Britain

Malaga Airport (AGP), Spain

Milan Bergamo Airport (BGY), Italy

Nis Airport (INI), Serbia

Riga International Airport (RIX), Latvia

Tallinn Airport (TLL), Estonia

Thessaloniki Macedonia International Airport (SKG), Greece

Warsaw Modlin Airport (WMI), Poland

Vienna International Airport (VIE), Austria

STO-VIE/RIX/TLL were already thin routes... ALC/SKG/AGP is going to hurt SAS. Why they moved the VFR routes to the Balkan from Skavsta to Arlanda I don't know. They have a monopoly on those and people were willing to go that airport without issues.
Old May 6, 2021, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
STO-VIE/RIX/TLL were already thin routes... ALC/SKG/AGP is going to hurt SAS. Why they moved the VFR routes to the Balkan from Skavsta to Arlanda I don't know. They have a monopoly on those and people were willing to go that airport without issues.
The domestic routes are weird. I think that FR's customers look more at the price than the time it takes to reach the destination and they're competing with three airlines and four train companies on the Gothenburg route. On the Malmö route, they're competing with three airlines and three train companies. It's just a little bit slower by train so many passengers won't care if they're flying or taking the train. FR usually doesn't offer connecting flights so we're talking about point-to-point traffic here. SK probably has a large portion of connecting passengers on ARN-GOT and ARN-MMX. ARN-AAL was not offered by SK before the virus, so is there a market for FR to offer flights on the route?
Old May 6, 2021, 2:25 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
SAS is going to love this. Not.

MMX airport is a hassle to use if going between central Stockholm and central Malmo. Even with a car/taxi, I try to avoid MMX as much as possible and prefer to use CPH over MMX. But there are plenty of people in smaller towns and out in the countryside who are ok with MMX.

Will GOT/MMX-ARN-Eastern Europe work out for passengers on FR. Sounds like an inconvenient way for me to go; I won't fly it; but I'm sure that at the right price for passengers there may be at least some market for it if they time it right.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 6, 2021 at 2:33 pm
Old May 7, 2021, 12:06 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I seriously doubt they are looking for connecting traffic, that would make no sense.
Old May 7, 2021, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Will GOT/MMX-ARN-Eastern Europe work out for passengers on FR. Sounds like an inconvenient way for me to go; I won't fly it; but I'm sure that at the right price for passengers there may be at least some market for it if they time it right.
I dont think that FR sells connecting tickets. I have only ever bought point-to-point tickets from them. GOT/MMX-ARN-Eastern Europe probably has to be booked on separate tickets, so it's even less attractive that way.
Old May 7, 2021, 11:47 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Im a new user
I dont think that FR sells connecting tickets. I have only ever bought point-to-point tickets from them. GOT/MMX-ARN-Eastern Europe probably has to be booked on separate tickets, so it's even less attractive that way.
Ryanair has usually been claiming "we are a ‘point-to-point' airlines, and that's still the case. But Ryanair may also have done a bit of thru-flight/connecting ticketing at some points for FR-FR connections at DUB, STN and/or BCN, since RyanAir was definitely considering it as some point on a public sale basis.

Hasn't Ryanair ever considered thru-ticketing on Ryanair's own flights for Ryanair passengers subject to IRROPs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.