Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ryanair refund?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2020, 4:54 am
Original Poster

Ryanair refund?

We've booked flights from Germany to Malaga with Ryanair for October. The German Foreign Office has issued a travel warning due to COVID-19, and hence I believe we have a right to get a full refund of our bookings.

My questions are:

1. Is this correct?
2. Where can I request such a refund? I've browsed through my bookings like mad, and couldn't find the option.
3. What are the experiences of users here with Ryanair refunds due to Corona travel warnings?

Please also let me know should this be the wrong subforum.

Thanks!
Stefan
Old Sep 26, 2020, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Just read the Foreign Offices website again, and it seems that we'd still have to wait for a cancellation to get a full refund. What are the chances that Ryanair will cancel flights to Malaga at this time?
Old Sep 26, 2020, 6:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
EC 261/2004 only provides for a refund when the carrier cancels or significantly changes the timing (Section 8 rebooking rights). If you cancel, whether on the advice of the government or not, you are only due whatever your fare rules provide. That will most typically be a credit against a future ticket.

For this reason, you should not cancel until the last minute. That increases the chances that the flight is cancelled, including for reasons having nothing to do with the pandemic, e.g. poor weather.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 10:09 am

If your booking only contains flights, then you have to wait until at least one of the flights is cancelled. If all of the flights are operating, then you are out of luck.

If the booking, in addition to the flights, also contains a car, a hotel, a guided tour or something similar, then you could argue that you have the right to cancel for a full refund, citing Chapter III Article 12 Section 2 of Directive 2015/2302:
Notwithstanding paragraph 1, the traveller shall have the right to terminate the package travel contract before the start of the package without paying any termination fee in the event of unavoidable and extraordinary circumstances occurring at the place of destination or its immediate vicinity and significantly affecting the performance of the package, or which significantly affect the carriage of passengers to the destination. In the event of termination of the package travel contract under this paragraph, the traveller shall be entitled to a full refund of any payments made for the package, but shall not be entitled to additional compensation.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 10:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Im a new user
If your booking only contains flights, then you have to wait until at least one of the flights is cancelled. If all of the flights are operating, then you are out of luck.

If the booking, in addition to the flights, also contains a car, a hotel, a guided tour or something similar, then you could argue that you have the right to cancel for a full refund, citing Chapter III Article 12 Section 2 of Directive 2015/2302:
This presumes that OP made the booking before the pandemic reached Europe. At that point, the circumstances are hardly "unavoidable and extraordinary." Indeed they are easily avoided by not booking until the virus is under control and far from extraordinary as the virus affects pretty much all localities to some degree or another.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
The rule of thumb is

1 - Airline cancels you get a refund

2 - You cancel and you don't want to travel you are reliant on airlines offering voucher / credit note

The fact that a country is denying passengers from another entry does not give you the right to a refund if the flight still operates.

There is a whole thread with others experiences of ryanair refunds

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/othe...ir-thread.html

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Nov 13, 2020 at 4:35 pm
Old Sep 29, 2020, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by stdr
I believe we have a right to get a full refund of our bookings.

My questions are:

1. Is this correct?
2. Where can I request such a refund? I've browsed through my bookings like mad, and couldn't find the option.
1. No, there is no automatic right to a refund. However, if you booked your flight on or after 10 June, you can change your flight to a new date up to and including 21 March 2021 without paying change fees. Any fare difference will need to be paid, if the new flights cost more.

2. If any of the flights in your booking is cancelled by the airline, you will receive details which will then allow you to request a refund.

If you didn't book directly via Ryanair, i.e. you bought via a third party or travel agent, then changing the flights and/or requesting an eventual refund will be far more problematic than if you booked directly on the Ryanair app or website.
Old Nov 11, 2020, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by stdr
Just read the Foreign Offices website again, and it seems that we'd still have to wait for a cancellation to get a full refund. What are the chances that Ryanair will cancel flights to Malaga at this time?
How did it end, was the flight operated? If it was operated, but you didn't used the flight, at least you have the option to claim your taxes and fees for the No-Show. This is what I did with an easyjet flight from LGW to DUS in March that I missed due to a low connecting time.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Axwell D
How did it end, was the flight operated? If it was operated, but you didn't used the flight, at least you have the option to claim your taxes and fees for the No-Show. This is what I did with an easyjet flight from LGW to DUS in March that I missed due to a low connecting time.
easyJet don't charge an admin fee for refunding APD (or its German equivalent). With Ryanair the admin fee would exceed the amount being claimed.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Axwell D
How did it end, was the flight operated?
I don't think we'll ever know. The OP only posted twice - in this thread - and never again. They wanted an answer to this one problem, and have not been back since.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.