Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Ryanair
Reload this Page >

Ryanair - Coronavirus and Italy flights [merged cancellation questions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ryanair - Coronavirus and Italy flights [merged cancellation questions]

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2020, 1:33 pm

Programs: TK*G (Elite+)
Originally Posted by warakorn
That is often not true, esp. not within the EU.
Each Schengen border allowed the border crossing for certain situations (esp. citizens returning to their home country).
Ryanair must prove that due to a government restriction they were forbidden to run the flight.
OK maybe I should be more specific - I mean Poland. This is pure government ban. I am not sure about other EU-EU flights.

https://www.ulc.gov.pl/en/news/5030-...ed-till-may-23

Last edited by sinus; May 24, 2020 at 1:40 pm
Old May 24, 2020, 2:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by sinus
OK maybe I should be more specific - I mean Poland. This is pure government ban. I am not sure about other EU-EU flights.

https://www.ulc.gov.pl/en/news/5030-...ed-till-may-23
Yes, that's a true government-imposed ban. But from what I've seen the far more common reason for the cancellation is very low demand due in large part to government immigration restrictions and quarantine requirements. Of course, even without those restrictions, there's not a lot of demand for leisure or business travel right now.

It's an impossible situation for airlines, but that doesn't mean they get to keep customers' money for flights they cancel. Nor does it mean the airline can decide to issue a voucher instead of a refund when the customer asks for a refund.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 8:50 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
Has anyone in the UK successfully done a chargeback or Section 75 for a Ryanair flight? My flights in August have been cancelled, and of course Ryanair are only offering a voucher, and their online chat isn't responding when I ask for a refund.

My credit card company has an online form for chargebacks, but won't accept claims in advance of the flight date. This doesn't seem reasonable to me given that it's already cancelled, but I don't know whether it's worth spending a long time on the phone trying to get hold of them, or waiting until August, or just going straight to Section 75.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 9:27 am

My chargeback went through 2-3 weeks ago but obviously they still have time to respond. I'll post once it becomes fully confirmed.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 9:51 am

Mine went through 6 weeks ago (Ryan Air) and 4 weeks ago (Easy Jet). The credits are "provisional" meaning the airlines can respond, but I don't see how they have a leg to stand on. The credit card company said it could take 3 billing cycles (90 days) to resolve fully, but at least the money's back in my account, pending some freak reason for them to overturn the chargeback.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 8:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Just one point of information. If you sue Ryanair in Germany (Klage), these are the lawyers, which Ryanair has hired:

Zweigstelle Frankfurt am Main
Oracle Solicitors c/o WeWork
Taunusanlage 8
60329 Frankfurt am Main
Germany

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jun 17, 2020 at 9:40 am
Old Jun 17, 2020, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
That looks like contact details for an individual/person, and the address is for a shared workspace!!!

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but what are the benefits to Ryanair customers of posting this information online and is this not in breach of FlyerTalk's rule 21?
Old Jun 17, 2020, 10:45 am
Suspended

The benefit for the Ryanair customer: They know where to serve court papers to, if Ryanair is sued in Germany.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
So does that mean that, in Germany, it is the complainant that is solely responsible for ensuring the papers are served? As opposed to their legal representative, or the court who issued said papers?
Old Jul 8, 2020, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Well after almost 3 months and a failed chargeback, I finally got an email today that my refund had been processed.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by mcbg1
Well after almost 3 months and a failed chargeback, I finally got an email today that my refund had been processed.
What was the reason for the failed chargeback?
Old Jul 10, 2020, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by mcbg1
My Ryanair chargeback went through, but EasyJet processed the refund about a month after I issued a chargeback with them....
Old Jul 10, 2020, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dan1113
What was the reason for the failed chargeback?
Amex said the the Canadian Transport Agency's statement said vouchers were an acceptable form of refund (which is BS). It was only 60$ so I didn't want to pursue things any further. I figured I'd get my refund eventually or I'd get to use my voucher on another trip.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 2:23 am
Suspended

Is Ryanair now flying to Canada or what?
Old Jul 11, 2020, 5:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by warakorn
Is Ryanair now flying to Canada or what?
Nope and I advised Amex about European laws but clearly, they were grasping at straws.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.