Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Ryanair
Reload this Page >

How busy is Stanstead for Ryanair at 6am Friday?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2019, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

I have a flight out of Stanstead with Ryanair at 06:40am on Friday 6th Dec. I was planning on getting the train from Stanstead Mountfitchett, the earliest one arrives at 05:39.

I only have hand luggage.

Would I need to go through the check in desks? Bearing in mind I'd check in on the app and have boarding card on my phone. Can I just go straight through security?

Do you think this would allow enough time?

Thanks.
Chris.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 7:53 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
With hand baggage only and a mobile boarding pass, you can head straight to security and to the gate.

I don't have particular experience of Standsted at 6am (my only experience is late afternoon when security lines were 15minutes-ish) but I do know there is a kiosk you can by fast track for £5 if you are worried. Maybe buy it in advance if you want some more cushioning
Old Nov 20, 2019, 8:49 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Early departure from Stansted is dreadful. All Ryanair's (and easyJet's) departures start early so there is an early wave departing STN at the same time.
For a pretty off-peak November Thursday morning I count at least 20 departing Ryanair 737s in the 06.00-07.00 hour. There is no way I would leave it to an hour before departure at STN. Also note that whilst you may get through security reasonably quickly (though unlikely), you then probably have to take the airside shuttle train to your pier. I have known people struggling to board the next train simply because of the volumes of passengers wanting to get to the pier at the same time. Waiting for the next shuttle train or the one after that will fray your nerves. And late boarding on a Ryanair flight is not something that they will accommodate. Frankly I'd stay at an airport hotel the night before if the budget can stretch.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 9:06 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Use STN probably about 50 times a year and I personally woildn't be happy with so little time.

From train station it will take you about 5 min to reach security. 05:44

At that time of morning queues can be anything from walking straight through to 15-20 minutes 06:04

If your a/c is parked furthest away from the security you then need another 15 minutes to the gate. That means you could be at the gate at 06:20.
If you are the last one and on HBO they will likely close the gate at -20 (definitely will at -10) . So you are leaving yourself only 10 minutes of buffer time which is way too little for me. Obviously everyone is different.and for some this would be enough.

I would much rather get 04:28 bus 510 that gets you there about 04:45 giving you quite a bit of extra time but much more comfortable.

I personally arrive about 1.5 hrs before and that gives me a plenty of time to stroll to the gate and stop.on the way in Pret.
farci and Chris D like this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Boarding and on board services | easyJet

according to the above page easyjet close the gate 30 minutes before departure so go by that rather than what time the doors close.

also on the few flights I and friends have done they are pretty strict about maintaining the order of boarding and if your not there when they call your group to board then it’s basically tough so if you’ve say bought speedy boarding and don’t board when it’s called they won’t let you move up the queue of the rest of the groups.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

according to the above page easyjet close the gate 30 minutes before departure so go by that rather than what time the doors close.
Good info, but the OP is flying with Ryanair.
Chris D likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I asked a similar question a few years back on the UK+Ireland forum here.

I have taken a Ryanair 6:50 flight a few times since then although not very recently (last time was over a year ago). My experience was that, while the queues can be long, they are fast moving. I had contemplated buying fast track the first time round but did not need it and been OK.

There is a risk so I would not take the risk is something important depended on it (eg: job interview, wedding or funeral, etc...) but, in ordinary circumstances, it is imo small enough for me to take it. You might have a different view if you are more risk averse than me.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by ft101
Good info, but the OP is flying with Ryanair.
Oh yes. I blame insomnia

But they close boarding at 20 mins before and say to be at the gate at least 30 before departure

Still I wouldn't cut it as tight at the OP seems to be suggesting.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 11:41 am
Original Poster

This is brilliant info, thanks! I wasn't really happy about turning up so late but would never have thought about the bus!

Thanks very much!
Old Nov 21, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

also on the few flights I and friends have done they are pretty strict about maintaining the order of boarding and if your not there when they call your group to board then it’s basically tough so if you’ve say bought speedy boarding and don’t board when it’s called they won’t let you move up the queue of the rest of the groups.
Out of those 50 flights a year out of STN about 45 are with EZY and as a plus card holder I never had issue "queue jumping" when I arrived to the gate when non priority boarding started. Had my bag tagged and checked in which is fair enough as I arrived after first 60 bags cabin max was reached.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Chris D
Would I need to go through the check in desks?
Are you travelling on an EU/EEA passport or national ID card?
Old Nov 23, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: Flying Blue PFL; IHG Rewards Club Diamond; HHonors Silver
If you think that Stanstead is bad early morning, wait till you experience it at midnight, for much the same reasons.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 5:25 am

My only recent experience with STN was last year flying to LJU with easyJet, that was a 7am departure if I remember correctly. Security was stupidly busy and took us about 40 minutes to clear. The first scanner that everyone walks through decided that it would flash up 'quota' for about 80% of people that walked through, meaning that the queue for the second body detector actually went back through the first scanners - essentially bottlenecking the whole operation. Annoyingly because you load your bags on the x-ray belt first, my laptop had been sat at the end of the belt for about 15 minutes before I could actually get to it which made me quite nervous.

Not sure if I was just unluckly but it was certainly an experience I wouldn't rush to repeat any time soon.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 4:59 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: ALL Plat, HH Gold, Marriott GE
The other problem is that the Escape Lounge is normally full after about 5am !
Old Feb 23, 2020, 7:38 pm

No free coffee, what a big problem...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.