Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Ryanair
Reload this Page >

Any idea what nationality pilots fly Ryanair out of Spain?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2019, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

I'm in the middle of a European trip and wouldn't you know it, I have a key Ryanair flight on August 22, the date of planned Ryanair strikes by UK flight crews.

However, my flight is out of Spain (Madrid) into Rome.

Does anyone know how Ryanair crews flights, i.e. would that flight be OK with a non-UK crew? Or is the origin location a bad indication of the flight crew nationality?

Any insight is appreciated!
Old Aug 13, 2019, 11:08 pm

I do not see how nationality comes into play here. You probably mean where they are based and/or registered?
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by tentaguasu
Or is the origin location a bad indication of the flight crew nationality?
Indeed. There is no guarantee that Spain-XXX flights will be crewed by pilots from Spain or XXX although typically odds are quite good. Easy for me to say but I wouldn't worry about it at this stage.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 3:14 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Pilots are distributed all over the place, though of course pilots tend to try and get to their "home" bases eventually so it's not random distribution.

The pilots striking won't be the ones who hold UK nationality. It will be the ones flying from UK bases.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 4:26 am
Original Poster

I did indeed mean home base rather than nationality. So it sounds like a flight out of Spain is unlikely to be affected by the UK strike... I hope...
Old Aug 15, 2019, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by tentaguasu
I did indeed mean home base rather than nationality. So it sounds like a flight out of Spain is unlikely to be affected by the UK strike... I hope...
Note that strikes rarely remain compartmentalised in one country - at least when it comes to Ryanair!

Ryanair's pilots in Ireland have since voted for strike, and cabin crew in Spain have also announced strikes for September. According to El País (see below), Spanish pilots are also considering their own action:

Ryanair cabin crew in Spain planning 10 days of strikes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.