Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Air Italy website access from some Asian countries (blocked)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2019, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF

21/07/19 Update:

For those that cannot access https://www.airitaly.com/ directly, you can make/manage bookings via their call centre. The number to call is:

Italian 24-hr number: +39 0789 52682
US number: +1 (866) 387 6359
Thailand (agency): +662 163 4315

Alternatively, you can use a travel agency, or a VPN/proxy.

Singapore, Indonesia and Hong Kong are confirmed countries that cannot access the site, and there could be others.

The problem has been reported in early June 2019. There is currently no ETA on a fix.

------------------------------------------------------

Back in early June I tried to access the website from within Singapore but it appeared blocked. I sent a FB message and a consultant replied saying they have escalated the problem.

Today the problem is still not fixed. I need to use a VPN for it to work.

Air Italy seem to be happy missing out on almost 6 million potential customers, with no urgency getting this resolved?

Very poor form.

Last edited by davidj1; Jul 21, 2019 at 6:00 am Reason: Including an alternative solution until a fix is released
Old Jul 14, 2019, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by davidj1

Air Italy seem to be happy missing out on almost 6 million potential customers, with no urgency getting this resolved?
Potential customers? AFAIK Air Italy don't fly to Singapore nor anywhere in the vicinity. It's a stretch to assume that Singaporeans are queueing up to fly between Italy and North America.

Of course it's a bit strange, but who's to say that the issue is due to the airline? Lots of websites are blocked in Singapore.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold

Very poor form.
And to add to the previous poster's points, there is nothing stopping these 6 million "potential customers" from buying their tickets from a travel agent or third party website. Air Italy tickets are NOT exclusively sold on the airline's website, and therefore the inaccessibility of the website is no impediment to the purchase of a ticket.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

It's a good thing you guys don't run airlines (or perhaps you are, Air Italy?)

The general idea of running a (profitable) business is to open up your doors to as many customers as possible, and make it as easy as possible. Based on some of the comments here it's seems okay business logic to prevent half the globe from accessing their site, and open up to Americans and Europeans only?

No need for a TA either, people can pick up a phone.

Point is, when will this be fixed?
Old Jul 14, 2019, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something

The general idea of running a (profitable) business is to open up your doors to as many customers as possible, and make it as easy as possible. Based on some of the comments here it's seems okay business logic to prevent half the globe from accessing their site, and open up to Americans and Europeans only?

No need for a TA either, people can pick up a phone.

Point is, when will this be fixed?
Do you understand why they are blocking SIN, and likely other countries in the area? Unless you take a second and actually think, you’re just going to be frustrated.

Asia has a fair amount of fraud involved in credit card transactions. As someone who lives in Indonesia for part of the year, I can understand your frustration. Instead of banging my head into the wall, I just use my vpn for those sites that are blocked.

Like Costco.com, reddit, etc. Some sites also just block orders, but not the access to the site, Walmart.com, Jet.com, and I’m sure lots more.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 10:49 am
Suspended

If you think there are "almost 6 million potential [Air Italy] customers" in Singapore, it's a good thing you don't run an airline.
irishguy28 and moondog like this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
It may actually be the SIN Government blocking the Air Italy website and not the other way around. Though it would be strange to block an airline that does not fly to that country.

If a government imposes such a ban there is not a lot anyone can do about it.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

If a government imposes such a ban there is not a lot anyone can do about it.
There is... use a VPN!

I don't rant and rage because I can't access the Tesco Clubcard website from outside the UK. I just assume that there's a good reason and move on... using a VPN when needed.
moondog likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
VPN is what the OP uses yet still complains!

There are lots of websites that are country specific. I can't access the National Lottery site when I'm out of the UK for example. Annoying when you get a 'you've won something email' and have to wait to find out it's £3 not £3million and not just because I forget to enter!
Old Jul 19, 2019, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GFrye
If you think there are "almost 6 million potential [Air Italy] customers" in Singapore, it's a good thing you don't run an airline.
Potential

adjective
  1. 1.
    having or showing the capacity to develop into something in the future.

Wow some of you guys have no idea [moderator edit]. Everyone is a potential customer and there is no way in hell I would want to be blocking anyone just because I think they may not be interested in buying.

And no I wouldn't want 1 customer to use a VPN to access goods or services... It is ludicrous to suggest this. [Moderator edit.]
​​
For the record I understand this is not a SG imposed block but is on the Air Italy side (but yes the source could be wrong). Either way it's in Air Italy's interest to sort out pronto.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jul 19, 2019 at 6:51 pm Reason: Per FT Rule 12, barring personal attacks on members.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And they’ve also blocked Indonesia, with a population of 270 million! How dare they.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
And they’ve also blocked Indonesia, with a population of 270 million! How dare they.
Good on them! How do we get them to block more?

So the hypothesis is Air Italy is blocking some Asian countries because of possible fraud/questionable users (IP addresses)?
Old Jul 19, 2019, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good on them! How do we get them to block more?

So the hypothesis is Air Italy is blocking some Asian countries because of possible fraud/questionable users (IP addresses)?
That’s what I said back in post #5.

As I recall, even Southwest Airlines is blocked from Indonesia. A much larger airline than Air Italy.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 7:55 pm
Suspended

Either way it's in Air Italy's interest to sort out pronto.
I highly doubt that.
Just like Air Greenland wouldn’t care if 6 million “potential customers” in Lebanon weren’t able to book flights between Paamiut and Narsarsuaq, Air Italy leadership isn’t losing any sleep over people in Singapore not being able to book Air Italy flights between Olbia and Bologna on their webpage.

Using the dictionary definition you quoted, one could claim that there are more than 110 million “potential” Aerocardal customers living in Ethiopia.
Of course nobody would think it’s realistic to think that millions of Ethiopians would like to book domestic Chilean flights, just like it’s completely unrealistic to think that millions of Singaporeans would be interested in booking flights on an airline that doesn’t even fly to Singapore. Do you think there are millions of Singaporeans who are “potentially” interested in buying a separate ticket to the Maldives, Air Italy’s closest destination, just so that they can then fly to Italy on Air Italy?

Some airline-specific FT forums have a “least substantive thing to complain about” thread. Perhaps we need one for the “Other European Airlines” forum as well?
moondog and craigthemif like this.

Last edited by GFrye; Jul 20, 2019 at 4:03 am
Old Jul 20, 2019, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Either way it's in Air Italy's interest to sort out pronto.
Pronto? What's the rush? Air Italy isn't starting service from SIN any time soon.

In the meantime, Air Italy's loyal 6 million Singaporean customers can continue to book via Expedia or any other Singaporean travel agent.
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.