Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Ryanair
Reload this Page >

Denied boarding no other available flight [Ryanair]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3 *G

I am on an oversold Ryanair flight leaving today. I am travelling home and have plenty of work to do in my current location so don't mind being a day late.

I have checked and all Ryanair flights over the next few days to my destination are sold out.

What happens if I am denied boarding and they can't put me on a flight for 4-5 days - would they be obliged to put me on a competitorsc flight (Ryanair don't have any airline partners as far as I know) or would I simply have to wait 4-5 days under under EU261?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:50 am

Originally Posted by eshroom
What happens if I am denied boarding and they can't put me on a flight for 4-5 days - would they be obliged to put me on a competitorsc flight (Ryanair don't have any airline partners as far as I know) or would I simply have to wait 4-5 days under under EU261?
They have to offer "re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to [your] final destination at the earliest opportunity" but it is untested what "under comparable transport conditions" means so it is unclear if a competitor offers "comparable transport conditions" or not. If you insist that a competitor offers "comparable transport conditions" you'd probably have to book the flight yourself and claim back the money by suing Ryanair, which is risky as you won't know if the court will rule in your favour. There is a demand by the UK regulatory body to airlines operating in the UK to clarify when you are entitled to rebooking on other airlines, implying that there are some situations where airlines are obliged to rebook on other carriers, but the CAA's interpretation appears to be untested.

Do not forget to claim denied boarding compensation. Ryanair is due 250 or 400 euros depending on the distance of the flight.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Some person
They have to offer "re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to [your] final destination at the earliest opportunity" but it is untested what "under comparable transport conditions" means so it is unclear if a competitor offers "comparable transport conditions" or not. If you insist that a competitor offers "comparable transport conditions" you'd probably have to book the flight yourself and claim back the money by suing Ryanair, which is risky as you won't know if the court will rule in your favour. There is a demand by the UK regulatory body to airlines operating in the UK to clarify when you are entitled to rebooking on other airlines, implying that there are some situations where airlines are obliged to rebook on other carriers, but the CAA's interpretation appears to be untested.

Do not forget to claim denied boarding compensation. Ryanair is due 250 or 400 euros depending on the distance of the flight.
Thanks for thetreply, I just found this so will push for re route with easyJet. I don't think it's going to be easy, but seems there is precedent.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 5:54 am
Original Poster

So I am at the gate and they have refused to ask for volunteers due to the overbooked flight. Isn't this again EU261 rules?

I have been told to stand and wait for a no show.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:09 am

So I am at the gate and they have refused to ask for volunteers due to the overbooked flight. Isn't this again EU261 rules?
Even if it does (and you can't be 100% sure they didn't ask for volunteers) it doesn't make much of a difference for your compensation etc.
Out of interest, how did you know at 9AM that you will be denied boarding and that the flight is oversold?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I have been told to stand and wait for a no show.
Should we interpret your silence as evidence that you were able to travel as booked?
Global321 likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ditto
Even if it does (and you can't be 100% sure they didn't ask for volunteers) it doesn't make much of a difference for your compensation etc.
Out of interest, how did you know at 9AM that you will be denied boarding and that the flight is oversold?
I wasn't able to get seat allocation during online check-in. I asked staff to ask for volunteers, but they said this is not Ryanair policy and as a result they refused to ask.

There was a no show and as a result I made the flight.
Old May 19, 2019, 6:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Did you try OPCI particularly late or do you know why you were chosen to be a potential IDB?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.