Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Denied boarding no other available flight

Denied boarding no other available flight

Reply

Old Apr 16, 19, 1:19 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: UK
Programs: A3 *G
Posts: 108
Denied boarding no other available flight

I am on an oversold Ryanair flight leaving today. I am travelling home and have plenty of work to do in my current location so don't mind being a day late.

I have checked and all Ryanair flights over the next few days to my destination are sold out.

What happens if I am denied boarding and they can't put me on a flight for 4-5 days - would they be obliged to put me on a competitorsc flight (Ryanair don't have any airline partners as far as I know) or would I simply have to wait 4-5 days under under EU261?
eshroom is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 19, 2:50 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 542
Originally Posted by eshroom View Post
What happens if I am denied boarding and they can't put me on a flight for 4-5 days - would they be obliged to put me on a competitorsc flight (Ryanair don't have any airline partners as far as I know) or would I simply have to wait 4-5 days under under EU261?
They have to offer "re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to [your] final destination at the earliest opportunity" but it is untested what "under comparable transport conditions" means so it is unclear if a competitor offers "comparable transport conditions" or not. If you insist that a competitor offers "comparable transport conditions" you'd probably have to book the flight yourself and claim back the money by suing Ryanair, which is risky as you won't know if the court will rule in your favour. There is a demand by the UK regulatory body to airlines operating in the UK to clarify when you are entitled to rebooking on other airlines, implying that there are some situations where airlines are obliged to rebook on other carriers, but the CAA's interpretation appears to be untested.

Do not forget to claim denied boarding compensation. Ryanair is due 250 or 400 euros depending on the distance of the flight.
Some person is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 19, 3:58 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: UK
Programs: A3 *G
Posts: 108
Originally Posted by Some person View Post
They have to offer "re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to [your] final destination at the earliest opportunity" but it is untested what "under comparable transport conditions" means so it is unclear if a competitor offers "comparable transport conditions" or not. If you insist that a competitor offers "comparable transport conditions" you'd probably have to book the flight yourself and claim back the money by suing Ryanair, which is risky as you won't know if the court will rule in your favour. There is a demand by the UK regulatory body to airlines operating in the UK to clarify when you are entitled to rebooking on other airlines, implying that there are some situations where airlines are obliged to rebook on other carriers, but the CAA's interpretation appears to be untested.

Do not forget to claim denied boarding compensation. Ryanair is due 250 or 400 euros depending on the distance of the flight.
Thanks for thetreply, I just found this so will push for re route with easyJet. I don't think it's going to be easy, but seems there is precedent.
eshroom is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 19, 5:54 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: UK
Programs: A3 *G
Posts: 108
So I am at the gate and they have refused to ask for volunteers due to the overbooked flight. Isn't this again EU261 rules?

I have been told to stand and wait for a no show.
eshroom is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 19, 7:09 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: CPT,AMS
Posts: 3,366
Originally Posted by eshroom View Post
So I am at the gate and they have refused to ask for volunteers due to the overbooked flight. Isn't this again EU261 rules?
Even if it does (and you can't be 100% sure they didn't ask for volunteers) it doesn't make much of a difference for your compensation etc.
Out of interest, how did you know at 9AM that you will be denied boarding and that the flight is oversold?
Ditto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 19, 7:47 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Programs: Gold: A3, AZ, BA, KL
Posts: 23,192
Originally Posted by eshroom View Post
I have been told to stand and wait for a no show.
Should we interpret your silence as evidence that you were able to travel as booked?
Global321 likes this.
irishguy28 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 19, 6:16 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: UK
Programs: A3 *G
Posts: 108
Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
Even if it does (and you can't be 100% sure they didn't ask for volunteers) it doesn't make much of a difference for your compensation etc.
Out of interest, how did you know at 9AM that you will be denied boarding and that the flight is oversold?
I wasn't able to get seat allocation during online check-in. I asked staff to ask for volunteers, but they said this is not Ryanair policy and as a result they refused to ask.

There was a no show and as a result I made the flight.
eshroom is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 19, 6:32 pm
  #8  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 79,322
Did you try OPCI particularly late or do you know why you were chosen to be a potential IDB?
MSPeconomist is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread