Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Ryanair
Reload this Page >

Large squishy backpack to comply with Ryanair November 1st new baggage policy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Hi flyers,

I'm sure there will be a few people asking this question shortly, but I have a flight with Ryanair tomorrow and I've just been reminded that their new baggage policy comes in today. This is that "All passengers are entitled to bring 1 small personal bag on board which must fit under the seat in front of you (40cm x 20cm x 25cm). Examples include, handbag, laptop bag and small backpack", with any small wheelie suitcase that would previously have fitted in the overhead lockers now costing another £8 / £10 each way to go on the flight.

https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful...-01st-november

I am going for a weekend in Dublin and have slightly more luggage to take than would fit into what they describe as a small personal bag, however I have a much larger squishy "backpacker" style backpack which would fit all the clothes I need and that I would be able to compress to the dimensions of (40cm x 20cm x 25cm) and would therefore fit under the seat in front of me.

What I want to know is whether anyone has tried this and whether they got away with it or not. Obviously I don't want to pay an additional £20, however if the staff have a problem and the bag has to go in the hold it will be £25 each way to board the flight with my bag, so I'm just trying to weigh up my options!

I know it's early days for this new policy and my flight is tomorrow, but hopefully this thread will be useful to other flyers wanting to check what they can get away with before flying with Ryanair.

Thanks and look forward to hearing anyones experiences!

Andy
1flyer likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
My other half flew and returned STN DUB with FR with a large squishy bag over the weekend. In the past, when counting carry-ons, soft bags are routinely ignored.

Lowe Alpine TT CarryOn 40 for the win :-)
fartoomanyusers likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
apparently the new policy won't be properly implemented until the end of November

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a8614096.html
Old Nov 13, 2018, 8:06 am

don't waste your money on buying priority boarding / 10kg hold bag fee this month ... i flew FR twice in the last week, and they weren't enforcing the new rules
Old Nov 14, 2018, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by fartoomanyusers
... i flew FR twice in the last week, and they weren't enforcing the new rules
Does that mean they weren't enforced on the other 14,000 Ryanair flights last week?
Old Dec 19, 2018, 4:54 am

FR christmas bag fees

For non-priority customers, the £25 gate bag fee was reduced to £0 in November.
For non-priority customers, the £25 gate bag fee will be reduced to £10 from Tues, Dec 4th to Mon, Jan 7th.
For non-priority customers, the £25 gate bag fee will be charged in full from Tues, Jan 8th.
has anybody actually been charged at the gate ?
i haven't seen any payments being made.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 5:03 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
has anybody actually been charged at the gate ?
i haven't seen any payments being made.
My friends were charged £10 each on a recent trip to Berlin (serves them right for not reading the emails!)

My opinion is its well worth the extra 8bucks for priority if youre taking more than an overnight bag.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by marconess
My friends were charged £10 each on a recent trip to Berlin (serves them right for not reading the emails!)

My opinion is its well worth the extra 8bucks for priority if youre taking more than an overnight bag.
thanks for the info.
which airport was this ?
do you know if the payment was taken at the gate (as opposed to being processed later through the FR reservation system) ?
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:08 am

thanks for the info.
which airport was this ?
do you know if the payment was taken at the gate (as opposed to being processed later through the FR reservation system) ?
This was in Glasgow.
However, I am currently at Eindhoven and the watching the non-priority queue. Twopeople have already been asked to wait at a white desk and to pay 10euros for the two bags. The two ladies took it very wel.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:12 am

Total six passengers so far. It's portable credit card machine by the looks of things.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by marconess
Total six passengers so far. It's portable credit card machine by the looks of things.
very useful. i wonder if all outstation gate subcontractors have been issued with cc machines ?!
Old Dec 23, 2018, 12:49 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor Plat, IHG Diamond
Friends got charged in Lisbon last week, I saw a fair few people getting asked for £10 in Manchester this week too on a sold out flight, a decent amount of extra revenue for Ryanair as a few people claimed not to be aware of the new policy "I was allowed to fly with this last time I flew ryanair" was one comment. They send out enough emails and made it clear during booking, so I don't fault ryanair with that.
I had no issues with my soft backpack that was too wide to fit their carry on sizer (I boarded last). There was not an spare space in view in the lockers when I boarded, so their system does seem to work: pay and bring your bag, or put your bag under your seat. If you try to cheat, there is a good chance you will need to pay the gate check fee.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 1:43 pm

Oh god - I really hope it is not as close to collapse as you are suggesting. Have flights booked to LAS in little over three weeks. :\

Mark
Old Dec 23, 2018, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Ikaz
Friends got charged in Lisbon last week, I saw a fair few people getting asked for £10 in Manchester this week too on a sold out flight, a decent amount of extra revenue for Ryanair as a few people claimed not to be aware of the new policy "I was allowed to fly with this last time I flew ryanair" was one comment. They send out enough emails and made it clear during booking, so I don't fault ryanair with that.
I had no issues with my soft backpack that was too wide to fit their carry on sizer (I boarded last). There was not an spare space in view in the lockers when I boarded, so their system does seem to work: pay and bring your bag, or put your bag under your seat. If you try to cheat, there is a good chance you will need to pay the gate check fee.
Yeah I agree - they send out enough warnings during the booking process I can't help but feel those that claim to now know are playing dumb. That is, assuming the 3rd party websites (the EDreams, Kiwis of the world) have updated information. I suppose someone in their terms it says to check yourself.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 3:23 am
ECR

To be honest I don't mind the new policy as it seems to make some sense. Effectively pay for space in overhead locker or get a free bag under your seat. I'll not be saying that though if they charge me at the gate for my squishy back pack which I think might be 1cm longer on one dimension (but shorter on other dimension) which easily fits under the seat with loads of space to spare.

I've only flown Ryanair twice since the new policy, but the bag didn't even warrant a second glance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.