Search

RyanAir Carry-on Question

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: StarWood Hotels-Gold, Loews Hotels-Gold, RCI-Diamond, HH Diamond
RyanAir Carry-on Question

Hi All,

I'm forced to take RyanAir from IBZ to MAD with 2 hours connecting our flight from MAD - MIA. We only travel with carry-on luggage, but they are not the absurdly small size RyanAir requires. They do fit in any mainline overhead bin, but I cannot be held up collecting bags with the connection/terminal transfer I need to make. Given my unfamiliarity with RyanAir, I assume we are better off shipping our luggage home and not playing their size bin game. I planned to purchase the flexi-plus ticket, but not sure this would offer me any consolation.

Any first hand experience with their carry-on shenanigans?

Thanks.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
1. Read this about Ryanair's carry-on policy https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/othe...e-laptops.html
2. If you are on a FLEXI-plus ticket, you can take a rollaboard but it must be 10kgs or less
3. You are not connecting. You have two separate itineraries ... if Ryanair (FR) is in any way delayed, I trust you have a back-up plan for your flight to MIA because IB/AA will consider you a no-show and you'll be looking at an $$$$ replacement!!
Two hours is a risky undertaking.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I've never been on Ryanair but when I was in Oslo yesterday, sitting at the gate waiting on my delayed flight, two Indian women were trying to board a Ryanair flight to Stansted. They had rucksacks the size of any big suitcase, and were denied boarding as there was no time to check the luggage in as it should have been.
Oops
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 8:37 am
RJR

I experienced a fairly similar situation to anniegray (with a more favourable ending!) I took a Ryanair flight last weekend on a business trip, so fortunately only needed a small bag anyway. But a person in front of me tried bringing on not only her wheelie hand luggage (that definitely wouldn't have bit in the overhead bin), a smaller bag, and a plastic bag with goodies she'd bought in the airport. There was a BIG furore and eventually she gave in and paid, but there was no way she'd have got on with both.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
Originally Posted by RJR
I experienced a fairly similar situation to anniegray (with a more favourable ending!) I took a Ryanair flight last weekend on a business trip, so fortunately only needed a small bag anyway. But a person in front of me tried bringing on not only her wheelie hand luggage (that definitely wouldn't have bit in the overhead bin), a smaller bag, and a plastic bag with goodies she'd bought in the airport. There was a BIG furore and eventually she gave in and paid, but there was no way she'd have got on with both.
They have started going VERY strict on the new handluggage rules. While the seasoned traveller might be aware of them, my friend got stung on a trip to Berlin and had to pay £55 to put his bag in the hold at the gate.
RJR likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: StarWood Hotels-Gold, Loews Hotels-Gold, RCI-Diamond, HH Diamond
Thank you everyone for your input. After looking at costs to check luggage, I was 50% of the costs to ship R/T. I'm going to relax and not worry about any luggage and simply ship.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:20 am

Hi,
we recently connected in MAD with exactly 2 hours, also on separate tickets, also with hand luggage only, also involving FR. 2 hours works only if incoming FR is on time, the bus transfer between terminals took 30min alone and we found signage, security and distances added to our transfer time.

Hope you make that flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.