Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Just Booked my first Norwegian

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2017, 5:52 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), SAS Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by Andriyko
I don't think many passengers will be aware that Norwegian may be running out of cash and may not be around at the time of their flight, nor will they be aware that that airline may not be very good/flexible in re-arranging travel, as BBB mentioned. When there is a £1000 difference in price, most (everybody?) will purchase the cheaper ticket.
Not to mention that in my experience, Norwegian BoB is better, and more likely to be loaded; there is (arguably) more legroom; the wifi (usually) works and is free.

If BA see their competition in ET (and WT) as Norwegian, I think I prefer Norwegian. I have been fortunate enough not to get caught up in IRROPs with them yet but I feel like I am getting what I am paying for. I can't wait to fly them TATL as soon as they serve the airports that I want to depart from.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 6:05 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Yes, I agree. However I believe the OP is considering whether booking with Norwegian is a 'no-brainer' vs BA,
It would be a 'no-brainer' for me. That is, if I were not attached to OW. For someone unaffiliated with any particular airline/alliance, the substantially cheaper ticket will win. What I would do in this situation is route myself via a different U.S. airport to get the cheap fare that CWS mentioned in order to stay with OW - all fares on the LON-SEA route allow routing via any other city in the USA.

It is interesting the thread has moved from the OP's specific circumstance and thread subject to 'many/majority of passengers'.
I just wanted to point out that financial health is not something that most passengers will think of when making a decision. I wonder if this is something the OP was thinking about before buying the ticket.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 6:14 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Norwegian have turned out, for many of them, to not be very flexible when it comes to re-arranging travel when aircraft have had trip changes meaning crews need to change their positioning itineraries. Irrespective of their tickets being fully flex etc.
Then when things go wrong, Norwegian's support is bad (even with the reduced BA support for IRROPS these days, Norwegian are in a whole lower league). Very long delays and substittions by smaller charter aircraft if a Norwegian aircraft breaks down are widely reported.

For frequent travellers, I anticipate that being badly burned by Norwegian once or twice will put them off it for a while - but infrequent travellers will be attracted by the price, and very cost sensitive passengers will take the risk anyway. This will erode some of BA's market, and that will damage BA's ability to operate profitably (since the aircraft size is inflexible, losing even a small part of the market will drop the gross yield on the route enough that it can't cover its costs).
Old Sep 16, 2017, 6:36 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

This thread has been moved into the Other European Airlines forum, to allow our Norwegian regulars to join the discussion.

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
Old Sep 16, 2017, 6:48 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by klmml
Not to mention that in my experience, Norwegian BoB is better, and more likely to be loaded; there is (arguably) more legroom; the wifi (usually) works and is free.

If BA see their competition in ET (and WT) as Norwegian, I think I prefer Norwegian. I have been fortunate enough not to get caught up in IRROPs with them yet but I feel like I am getting what I am paying for. I can't wait to fly them TATL as soon as they serve the airports that I want to depart from.
I've been migrating to DY where I'd previously have used BA (and/or my BA account).

DY intra-Europe is often no worse (and sometimes better) than what I would get even up-front on BA intra-Europe. And being able to avoid the London transits is a bonus.

While I still find BA better at IRROPS than Norwegian, I don't get hit by that many IRROPS in such a way as to make all that much of a difference in my calculations for my own trips. That said, I still avoid Norwegian for long-haul trips.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 6:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I don't see this as being as extraordinary as the OP is making it out to be. BA being more expensive than a competitor is bound to happen at some point on every route BA serves.
If it saves you money then you done the right thing. Norwegian will start serving EZE from LGW so it'll be interesting to see how BA competes with them on price.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 6:55 am

Security of the said £1200 ticket and its inherent travel plans.
If booked with a cc then should not the £1,200 be safe?
Old Sep 16, 2017, 6:55 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I don't see this as being as extraordinary as the OP is making it out to be. BA being more expensive than a competitor is bound to happen at some point on every route BA serves.
If it saves you money then you done the right thing. Norwegian will start serving EZE from LGW so it'll be interesting to see how BA competes with them on price.
How loyal will you be to BA when it comes to flying between the Motherland and the Spouseland? There must be a price where fealty to the motherland's flag carrier no longer flies.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by sorp222
If booked with a cc then should not the £1,200 be safe?
I think so in the UK, however then in the event of the airline failure the OP would be left with a choice of starting again from a later time, with possibly more expensive/less convenient flights. Not saying that Norwegian will fail, just observing there have been news reports of its financial position.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
How loyal will you be to BA when it comes to flying between the Motherland and the Spouseland? There must be a price where fealty to the motherland's flag carrier no longer flies.
Our choice of carrier across the Atlantic has been IB and before that it was AF.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Why was this post moved from the BA forum
I put in on there for a reason grrrr
Old Sep 16, 2017, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by allturnleft
Why was this post moved from the BA forum
I put in on there for a reason grrrr
The clue is in the title.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Originally Posted by HIDDY
The clue is in the title.
But its all about a BA loyal flyer being forced to change plans due to BA pricing
Do the mods not want BA embarrasment !

Thanks for advice re Financial stabilty ; I hadnt considered that!
Old Sep 16, 2017, 8:31 am

As I said before it's not that unusual a story.
Air Transat have been offering cheaper fares to Canada for years from LGW.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: No more shiny cards -- former LH SEN, SPG Platinum, Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver
Originally Posted by allturnleft
But its all about a BA loyal flyer being forced to change plans due to BA pricing
Do the mods not want BA embarrasment !

Thanks for advice re Financial stabilty ; I hadnt considered that!
To be fair, no one is forcing you to do anything.

You are choosing to book with a carrier that better suits your needs on this trip.
Andriyko likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.