Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Is it humanly possible to make this super quick transfer from Tegel to Schoenefeld?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it humanly possible to make this super quick transfer from Tegel to Schoenefeld?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2017, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond

So I'm flying from JFK to TXL on Delta (Platinum, if it matters) and then I need to catch a flight from Schoenefeld to Athens on RyanAir.

The problem is I land at Tegel at 11am and the flight out of Schoenefeld is at 1pm.

I will have no luggage, and hop in an Uber or taxi the second I am through customs at Tegel. Not counting on too much traffic at that time.

If I can make this connection, basically I'll save an entire day in Athens. Otherwise I won't arrive until much later in the evening.

Part of the reason I'm even considering this is because the tickets are only $40, almost enough to risk it.

Looking at the flight history, more often than not, my flight arrives earlier than the scheduled 11am arrival time ( https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL422/history ).

I am definitely the type to arrive at the airport at the very last minute anyway, but I realize even this timeframe is ridiculous.

Do you guys think it's possible under any circumstance that I make this flight?

Thank you!
Old Jul 1, 2017, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by HarryLime
So I'm flying from JFK to TXL on Delta (Platinum, if it matters) and then I need to catch a flight from Schoenefeld to Athens on RyanAir.

The problem is I land at Tegel at 11am and the flight out of Schoenefeld is at 1pm.

I will have no luggage, and hop in an Uber or taxi the second I am through customs at Tegel. Not counting on too much traffic at that time.

If I can make this connection, basically I'll save an entire day in Athens. Otherwise I won't arrive until much later in the evening.

Part of the reason I'm even considering this is because the tickets are only $40, almost enough to risk it.

Looking at the flight history, more often than not, my flight arrives earlier than the scheduled 11am arrival time ( https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL422/history ).

I am definitely the type to arrive at the airport at the very last minute anyway, but I realize even this timeframe is ridiculous.

Thank you!
The two airports are about 30 km apart, the drive itself should take about 30 minutes with limited traffic.

Immigration at Tegel is at times pretty slow, so I would make sure to be very close to the door of the aircraft to not get stuck too long in that process as well.

It is humanly possible, but it does not leave much room for error or delay, or even standard processing for that matter. I would not risk it personally.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 2:18 am

For the sake of 40$, why not book a ticket on the later flight as well just as a backup?
Old Jul 1, 2017, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ditto
For the sake of 40$, why not book a ticket on the later flight as well just as a backup?
Was thinking to do exactly this.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Was thinking to do exactly this.
If you book the later flight, and really want to save some money, you might take public transit instead of Uber to SXF. Takes a little over 90 minutes, but if your flight into TXL is on time and you clear customs and immigration quickly, you may have plenty of time on your hands.
​​
Old Jul 1, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Doesn't take as long as that on public transport actually - it is just over 60 mins!

But to get back to the original question about the timing of the transfer between TXL and SXF, you have to consider a host of things that would be working against you:

you might be at the back of the plane
you might get bussed to the terminal
there might be a long queue at immigration
the taxi might get stuck in traffic - yes it may only be a short ride but basically you are going from North West Berlin to South East outskirts of Berlin and that entails crossing the whole city
there might be a long queue at SXF security
the Ryanair flight might well leave ahead of schedule

With all these factors potentially working against you, I think you are wise to have secured a back-up ticket
Old Jul 1, 2017, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Already have the first row of Y booked, but yes, I agree with the rest. Never had a plane leave early on me though?
Old Jul 1, 2017, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Already have the first row of Y booked, but yes, I agree with the rest. Never had a plane leave early on me though?
FR will at times leave early. Though usually only 5-10 minutes. Expect them to be 100% consequent about being at the gate 20 minutes before departure.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 4:38 pm

I think the main thing stopping you from making it is the Ryanair document check if you do not have an EU/EEA passport:
https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful...ent-visa-check

Otherwise, and assuming you are seated towards the front and move quickly after getting off the first flight, you would have had a good chance of making it using a taxi.

In Schönefeld, going directly to terminal C (instead of D) to pass security would probably save you a few minutes. But, without an EU/EEA passport, you first have to go to the Ryanair document check desk (in terminal D I guess).
Old Jul 1, 2017, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teahan
I think the main thing stopping you from making it is the Ryanair document check if you do not have an EU/EEA passport:
https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful...ent-visa-check

Otherwise, and assuming you are seated towards the front and move quickly after getting off the first flight, you would have had a good chance of making it using a taxi.

In Schönefeld, going directly to terminal C (instead of D) to pass security would probably save you a few minutes. But, without an EU/EEA passport, you first have to go to the Ryanair document check desk (in terminal D I guess).
Is there a cut off for the document check? Apart from being able to be at the gate 20 minutes before departure?
Old Jul 2, 2017, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Is there a cut off for the document check? Apart from being able to be at the gate 20 minutes before departure?
I don't know. Might be worth asking on their online chat?

Bag drop closes 45 minutes before the scheduled departure time so it might be the same for document checks.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: LH SEN, BAEC Bronze, S7 Приоритет, TrueBlue

Thank you!
If all goes well it is tight but doable:

Passed immigration to sitting in taxi 10 mins (flight arrives typically at Gate A1 (cabs are near exit at Gate A5)
Time in taxi 35 mins (flight typically leaves from Terminal D)
Time from taxi to Ryanair counter 5 mins
Waiting Ryanair counter 10 mins
Waiting time security 15 mins
Walk from security to gate 5 mins

Total after passing immigration 80 mins.

Assuming you checked in for the Ryanair flight (2 hour cutoff time) prior to leaving U.S.

Might be best to have a printout of your boarding pass for them to stamp it at doc check (not sure if required). Haven't been with anyone requiring the doc check for some time, but I doubt they would even pull up the reservation at that counter (it's an intra-Schengen flight which typically does not require immigration check at either end).
Old Jul 3, 2017, 2:28 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
FR will require the doc check at the checkin desk before security. They may also say you are too late if you report at T-30 or 35min.
PS: no uber in Berlin, they just pass your order along to a taxi/limo operator. You can book a limo service from Sixt/mydriver, that will save you a few minutes, you get a slightly cleaner car and its a fixed price.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 9:26 am

I would say this is not a great idea. I once did this transfer with 3 hours between flights and I made it but I couldn't tell you that I had an hour to spare. A 30 minute drive from TXL to SXF would be near miraculous. An hour is what I'd budget as a *minimum*.

Also note that a cab ride from TXL to SXF would cost a pretty penny (50 Euro plus).
Old Jul 4, 2017, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA-EP, A3*G, UA*S
In my experiences at SXF, both Ryanair and Easyjet do proactively call out & triage customers when there is a line for flights that depart soon, so if you do somehow arrive very late the ground staff should be accomodating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.