Wiki Posts
Search

Norwegian to launch SIN-LGW??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2017, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Norwegian to launch SIN-LGW??

Just saw an article on businesstraveller.com which has now disappeared less than 10 minutes later: Norwegian launching 5x/weekly service from London Gatwick to Singapore.
I wonder if it was a leak/early release?
Old Apr 20, 2017, 3:16 am

Programs: SK Diamond, QR Platinum, AA Platinum, BA Silver, IHG Gold Ambassador
It's there.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/ai...gapore-london/

Tickets already open for purchase.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:15 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS, Costa Coffee, My Waitrose
Today DY have announced LGW-SIN 4 X weekly from September, however they also confirmed SJU will be dropped which will be replaced by a South American destination which is pending legal clearance.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:29 am

Quite surprised by Singapore - with 6/7 non-stops daily + the myriad of one stop options this is a very competitive route outside of the peak peak dates (and even then Malaysian usually comes up trumps if you keep an eye!)

Right now SQ have a widely available ~£500 fare vs Norwegian ~£390 with bag/seat/meal (which is fair comparison - going to be very few who fly to Asia without a bag and eating!) and BA are around this number during a sale

With DY flying 9 abreast 787s a few times a week out of Gatwick with a pretty high risk of delay vs SQ 4 x daily 777/A380 out of Heathrow I know which I'd be choosing!

The premium cabin looks to be around £1350 return, which is getting close to the Vietnam Airlines business class price for a flat bed with just a simple connection

It's a shame they don't have Air Asia style flatbeds, then I'd definitely be interested, otherwise it's a no from me
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Brexit must be a worry for DY, with the UK outside of Europe they may have to stop flights from UK airports.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
Norwegian announce LGW-SIN. Should BA be worried?

I haven't seen it mentioned yet on FT but Norwegian will fly LGW-SIN 4 times weekly from September.

This has the potential to be a real problem for BA as so much of the kangaroo route traffic is tourist and driven by price.

With Jetstar and other LCCs offering connecting flights to the big Australian gateways, there is the potential to fly to Oz so much cheaper than on BA.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 1:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
I don't think BA will be particularly worried. Taking the short haul BoB changes out of it, all of the complaints about BA's cost cutting on long haul routes mean they have a wider problem that isn't limited to the likes of Norwegian. The passengers they are alienating will do one of three things:

1. Seek to pay the same amount of money for their ticket and gett an actual legacy carrier service. On Australian/Far East routes this means the likes of the ME3, CX and others. BA will be positioned OK on Far East services, particularly in relation to the ME3 as they offer direct flights, and a substantial amount of people cannot be bothered with connections.

2. Decide they want to pay less for their ticket and tolerate a basic service en route, which could lead to them moving to the likes of Norwegian. Similarly people have known for some time being flexible with your airline, the number of connections etc. will result in you getting a cheaper ticket. Plenty of people have stuck with BA despite this.

3. Stick with it because they have status etc. or cannot be bothered to move because they find BA convenient. Or even, they are content with the service!

So in summary, it's a wider problem than a LCC expanding.

Similarly I don't think it's necessary to post a thread on a BA forum every time a LCC does something, but that's just my opinion.

Last edited by obduro; Apr 20, 2017 at 1:52 pm
Old Apr 20, 2017, 1:47 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
This thread with some of the other new routes was moved earlier today from teh BA forum.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by obduro
I don't think BA will be particularly worried. Taking the short haul BoB changes out of it, all of the complaints about BA's cost cutting on long haul routes lead me to think that people will more likely be seeking to pay the same amount of money for a ticket and getting an actual legacy carrier service (on Australian/Far East routes this means the likes of the ME3, CX etc.) rather than accepting it's a race to the bottom and moving to a carrier who is based on a low price, you get what you pay for type of approach.

Similarly I don't think it's necessary to post a thread on a BA forum every time a LCC does something, but that's just my opinion.
Exactly... I've lost count of the number of threads recently with no relevance to BA that appear here. Just adding "should BA be worried?" doesn't make it count...
Old Apr 20, 2017, 1:50 pm

This won't make a difference on LON-Australia, which is already probably the most competitive route in the world.

Where it might make a difference to prices is on LON-SIN, which is far less competitive.

For info there is already a thread on this in the Other European Airlines forum, where I suspect this thread will be moved.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by obduro
Yes, but this is the latest in a very fast growing list of destinations being launched in direct competition to BA.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: BA Silver
My last flight on Norwegian (SH) was far better than any SH I've taken recently with BA. so yes BA should worry....
Old Apr 20, 2017, 2:03 pm

So when the Norweigian flight goes tech in SIN and they tell you the next flight is in 48 hours, what are you going to do?
Old Apr 20, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Originally Posted by wb1969
Yes, but this is the latest in a very fast growing list of destinations being launched in direct competition to BA.
...So?

This is no different to last year's favourite thread. It went something like this:

Thread title: QR J - Better than BA F?

Just flew Qatar Airways J from LHR - SYD and wanted to get the forum's opinion.

(Insert paragraph about how great QR is, with no relevance to BA)

It was incredible and puts BA F to shame.

Are they worried about QR as competition?/What are BA going to do about it?/How much longer can BA keep this level of service up?/When will they update the seat to compare with QR?/Ad infinitum

In short, this is related to Norwegian opening a new route. Similar to how I'd now go to the QR forum if I wanted to discuss QR's product and how good it is, this is the British Airways forum and not the BA and competitors forum. I agree with BApilotinsider saying that referencing an overall point back to BA in the closing sentence doesn't make this a worthy forum for its discussion, but like I say it's just my 2p. I'll see myself out.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
So when the Norweigian flight goes tech in SIN and they tell you the next flight is in 48 hours, what are you going to do?
Sit around and enjoy the sun?? Singy airport even has a pool

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.