Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page >

Icelandair: Prefer LGW or LHR for departure?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2015, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Sorry if this is posted elsewhere, but I couldn't find it after searching...

I am looking to fly LON-KEF-SEA on Icelandair. I can fly out of either LHR or LGW at almost the exact same time and LHR is only a few pounds more.

Any suggestions? Is the Icelandair terminal at one airport better than the other? Lounges? I'll be flying economy so not sure that will even matter.

Thoughts? THANKS!
Old Dec 30, 2015, 4:47 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
From where in London are you starting? IMHO they are much the same, with the key differentiator being the logistics and cost of getting to the airport. I personally have been a fan of LGW recently; it is on a par with Heathrow (and well ahead of STN or LTN).

If you are not familiar with London connections, do not be brainwashed by the "Gatwick Express"; there are quite convenient regular trains from London Bridge, Blackfriars and Victoria. These trains also stop through other places that may be even more convenient: King's Cross/St. Pancras, Farringdon (and elsewhere futher north), Clapham, etc. These trains are generally significantly less expensive than Gatwick Express (particularly after taking into account the cost of getting to Victoria), and at least as fast unless one is near Victoria. EasyBus also runs buses to LGW from a number of places around London, including Waterloo and West Brompton, IIRC.

If traveling by car, or starting on the Piccadilly line or near Paddington, Heathrow is generally more convenient.

The at-airport experience is not much different, though at the margin LHR probably offers better shopping and amenities. FI flies from LHR T2; it uses the Aer Lingus lounge, but if in Y and you have PP or similar you could use the [excellent] Plaza Premium lounge. FI flies from LGW N, which would mean you would have access to the [also good] No 1 Traveller lounge, with the MyLounge also an option through PP.

In summary, go for whichever offers the best mix of transport time, logistics and all-in cost.

Last edited by chalf; Dec 30, 2015 at 4:52 pm
Old Jan 3, 2016, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. I ended up booking out of LGW. It was a bit cheaper and not sure where I'll be staying yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.