Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Ryanair
Reload this Page >

Ryanair Making it Even Harder to Avoid Card Fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2011, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Just had this land in my inbox:

Ryanair, already the king of added fees, is about to change its rules to make it even harder for customers to book flights at its advertised price.

It currently charges customers £6 per person each way (£48 for a family of four return) just for the priviledge of paying.

It only gets away with this not counting as a compulsory part of the price as prepaid Mastercard customers can pay for free. But from 1 November, only those who pay with its own new plastic will get away charge-free.
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/new...r-card-charges

I must admit I've not flown Ryanair for a fair while (I've found that on the routes I usually use, traditional airlines work out just as cheap once all the fees have been added on). Stuff like this is making them even less attractive
Old Sep 14, 2011, 3:55 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
On occasion (but not always) they can represent good value - but this is the very last straw!

I used to use them a lot (20 return flights or so a year) but have voted with my feet and haven't flown with them for over two years.

I will never fly Ryanair again - ever!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
Old Sep 14, 2011, 4:34 am

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
I'm proud to say that I've never flown them even when I had the opportunity. I just don't get the appeal.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 8:23 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
I just don't get the appeal.
I think it's the idea that you can fly for a few pence, and if your plans change you can just throw away the ticket and not lose any money.

Of course the catch is that if you don't know/follow the rules you can get royally shafted

And no, I have not flown Air Greyhound either

EmailKid
Old Sep 14, 2011, 9:51 am

Worth noting this is only really relevant to those who are UK-based, as it applies to Ryanair flights out of the UK (including return flights). For those based elsewhere in Europe, then by using any Mastercard Prepaid card they can continue to avoid the absurd payment card surcharges (for the time being at least!).

For those (UK based or not) who never had a Mastercard Prepaid card in the first place, then there's no change here - you already get hit with the "administration fee" (£6 or €6) for card payments on a per-passenger, per-flight basis.

Rather, it's just a change in the 'free' payment method for flights originating from the UK (the 'free' payment method is changing from any Mastercard Prepaid card, to only being Ryanair's new own-brand Mastercard Prepaid card).

The UK's Office of Fair Trading (a quango) recently recommended to the government that they change the law in order to ban surcharges for debit card payments -however the government hasn't committed to this yet, and Ryanair might be able to avoid such a law anyway by dint of being an Irish (rather than UK) company.

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
I'm proud to say that I've never flown them even when I had the opportunity. I just don't get the appeal.
They're often cheaper than other airlines, sometimes by a significant margin, even when taking into account the absurd payment card surcharges (for using a non-'free' payment method). That's the appeal.

Baggage fees might erode this price advantage - but lots of Europeans have got used to travelling with just hand luggage thus avoiding these fees - the majority of passengers on Ryanair flights will only be taking hand luggage with them (though this will differ between summer and winter of course).

Ryanair aren't quite in the business of offering flights for a few pence these days though - the rolling special offer fares are now more in the region of £10 / €15.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 2:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue
As long as Ryanair is much cheaper and I don't have to change planes

Yes I don't mind the Ryanair ways as long as the overall charge is much cheaper than the legacy carriers. My next trip is under £70 on Ryanair. A well known legacy carrier wanted over £200 (that included being routed via LHR).
Old Sep 15, 2011, 6:00 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; BA GGL; Virgin Gold; United Silver; Hilton Dia; IHG Spire; Marriott Tit; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Mizter T
They're often cheaper than other airlines, sometimes by a significant margin, even when taking into account the absurd payment card surcharges (for using a non-'free' payment method). That's the appeal.

Baggage fees might erode this price advantage - but lots of Europeans have got used to travelling with just hand luggage thus avoiding these fees - the majority of passengers on Ryanair flights will only be taking hand luggage with them (though this will differ between summer and winter of course).

Ryanair aren't quite in the business of offering flights for a few pence these days though - the rolling special offer fares are now more in the region of £10 / €15.
+1 - if you are fortunate to have a choice of airlines, then do the maths for not just the flight / extras costs, but also the costs / time of getting to and from your departure & destination airports - this can work both ways depending where you live and where you're going on to.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by Mizter T
Worth noting this is only really relevant to those who are UK-based, as it applies to Ryanair flights out of the UK (including return flights). For those based elsewhere in Europe, then by using any Mastercard Prepaid card they can continue to avoid the absurd payment card surcharges (for the time being at least!).
That's interesting - wonder if it's legal under EU law?
Old Sep 16, 2011, 2:39 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by alanR
No idea - but other carriers do it too. BA has a £4.50 handling charge to use a credit card or PayPal when invoicing in the UK, but for other countries this charge doesn't apply.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by Up In The Air
No idea - but other carriers do it too. BA has a £4.50 handling charge to use a credit card or PayPal when invoicing in the UK, but for other countries this charge doesn't apply.
Does the BA CC allow free booking on BA booked flights?
Old Sep 16, 2011, 5:06 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; BA GGL; Virgin Gold; United Silver; Hilton Dia; IHG Spire; Marriott Tit; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Up In The Air
Virgin & AA also have UK-only specific "card handling" fees
Old Sep 16, 2011, 3:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Former E
Originally Posted by mookie10
+1 - if you are fortunate to have a choice of airlines, then do the maths for not just the flight / extras costs, but also the costs / time of getting to and from your departure & destination airports - this can work both ways depending where you live and where you're going on to.
When I was in Spain last fall, I ended up going with Spanair (BCN-MXP) after looking at various airlines (including Ryanair's fees). Still cost me only $49 all in - dirt cheap given I fly YVR-YEG sometimes and tend to get $170+ one way fees.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alanR
Can't see why not.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 9:09 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
Originally Posted by NickB
Can't see why not.
Indeed, it was I believe EU law that made merchant agreements with a "no fee" clause illegal. So quite the opposite, indeed.

Neil

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.