Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Ryanair
Reload this Page >

Ryanair Moving Ahead with Pay to Pee Plans

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ryanair Moving Ahead with Pay to Pee Plans

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2010, 8:30 am

Granted they do fly into smaller airports which can be some distance away, I've found it very easy to make it to the city, as bus services are usually timed to coincide with their flights to the main centre.

In one city the airport was only 10km further away than the main airport

Don't get me wrong - Ryanair has some pretty tacky approaches to advertising etc but nevertheless they provide affordable fares, safe aircraft, and an on time performance that would put most airlines to shame.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 10:18 am

Hooray for Ryan Air and this new policy. I think the airline should also charge double if customer takes a dump and not just a whiz ("dump surcharge"). Extra for toilet paper, too.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by robledouk
No toilets on public buses either, which is essentially what RyanAir is.
What's the distance between stops on public buses as compared to RyanAir? And if someone really "had to go", what bus driver wouldn't pull over to let the pax off?
Old Apr 8, 2010, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
LOL, gives new meaning to "profit center"...
Old Apr 8, 2010, 11:28 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Tailgater
Hooray for Ryan Air and this new policy. I think the airline should also charge double if customer takes a dump and not just a whiz ("dump surcharge"). Extra for toilet paper, too.
You can just implement a "swipe to wipe" policy and accept major credit cards. 1GBP per 1 square of paper with a 50p processing fee.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 12:28 pm

Location: FSD - Now 4 airlines out of city, AA recently added flights to DFW and ORD
Programs: United MP 1K, NW/Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
[QUOTE=eoinnz;13731964]Good luck - with no seat pockets there are no sick bags either! (Although I imagine are kept somewhere else)

Actually, further down in the article it stated that they are looking into possibly charging for sick bags as well. No sick bags + pay toilets = big mess

Any cost savings they may see from this boneheaded idea will be wiped out by more expense having to clean and/or replace carpets and seat upholstery.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by ATSgrl
Any cost savings they may see from this boneheaded idea will be wiped out by more expense having to clean and/or replace carpets and seat upholstery.
Well the crew clean the aircraft and they have leather seats so they just have to be wiped clean - I guess we could expect unhappier crew

Anyway I don't see this happening. Their aircraft already hold 189 seats and that is the maximum as set by the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA).

Adding extra seats would require Boeing to have the aircraft re-certified

Last edited by eoinnz; Apr 8, 2010 at 10:28 pm
Old Apr 8, 2010, 9:34 pm

Ryanair is working with Boeing to develop a coin-operated door release system so it can charge customers to use the toilet.
I wonder if Ryanair has Airbus planes.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Few would admit that they are.

How did you enjoy flying in and out of rinky-dink strips of grass 60 kilometers outside of major cities?
Does that include Madrid Barajas, London Stansted, and Rome Ciampino, among a few Ryanair airports I have used?

For airports like Aarhus, it's not like you have any alternative anyway, if that's where you are going.

For an airport like Berlin Schoenefeld, it's well-served by public transport.

Admittedly there are some Ryanair airports that are way out and inconvenient, but there are many that aren't.

Say it takes you an hour or even two to get out of Heathrow or Charles de Gaulle, which is not at all unusual in my experience, followed by 45 minutes or more to get into town. How is that better than getting out of Rural Airport X in 5 minutes, and then enduring 45 minutes of coach transport?
Old Apr 11, 2010, 5:48 pm

Whenever i go back to Europe, they are an airline I will NEVER use again.

A few years ago, I got charged $20 equal in Danish Kroners, and so did a few others for having what they termed extra bags, and I only had 1 checked suitcase, 1 carry on bag, and my purse/handbag! About half my flight got the same charge as me as they were paying up too for having the same amount of stuff I did.

Someone like my 60-something aged mother wouldn't dare fly them as she needs the facilities often when on long trips, and she would sooner pee her pants or force them not to charge her for use of the loo!
Old Apr 11, 2010, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
How did you enjoy flying in and out of rinky-dink strips of grass 60 kilometers outside of major cities?
I flew them once. Bari to Pisa. Those aren't rinky-dink strips; Pisa is a major airport, with 767 service from JFK.

It was very convenient, and the planes were quite clean. Seat was extremely uncomfortable (and I snagged the exit row). Couldn't sleep because the FA's kept coming down the aisle hawking things for sale: food, toys, lotto tickets...
Old Apr 13, 2010, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
what's next ryanair????
Old Apr 13, 2010, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: JGC Premier, One World Emerald
Boeing Refuses Ryanair Request to Replace Toilets with More Seats

Ryanair said Boeing is refusing its request to replace toilets with more passenger seats. CEO Michael O'Leary will try to change Boeing's mind.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...rom=public_rss
Old Apr 13, 2010, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, HHonors Diamond
There are a few airports that they fly in and out of that aren't very close to the cities they claim to serve, nor are very connected. One is Paris Beauvais (which is actually in Tille) and is served by a bus service that costs almost as much as the ticket to get to. Another is Barcelona, which is actually in Girona, which is a whole different town. By the time you account for the cost of getting to/from those airports, it may double or triple the cost of your Ryanair ticket.

I am a big fan of Germanwings and easyJet, which aren't as obnoxious as Ryanair and are competitive on prices, if not destinations.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 5:33 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Ryanair CEO: "We'll Give Pay Toilet Money To Charity"

http://consumerist.com/2010/04/ryana...o-charity.html

Ryanair's much-maligned plan to charge passengers to use the toilet on their flights has been completely misunderstood, says the cheapy airline's CEO. In fact, he says he's willing to give all the money from the pay toilets to charity to prove his point.
Ryanair chief executive Michael O'Leary made his case this morning at a press conference in Brussels, saying that people are misunderstanding his reasoning for adding pay toilets. It's not, he says, to make money from captive cross-legged customers, but "to change peoples' behaviour," and to squeeze in six more additional seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.