Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jetstar open jaw?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2024, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
Jetstar open jaw?

Is it possible to book an open jaw ticket on Jetstar in Australia? Or must I book two one way flights? I am not familiar with Jetstar, and it may make no difference in pricing.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dwcatty
Is it possible to book an open jaw ticket on Jetstar in Australia? Or must I book two one way flights? I am not familiar with Jetstar, and it may make no difference in pricing.
Makes no difference. Point to point pricing.
Be very aware of what you buying, (seat, carryon, checked bags) Carry on weight-size limits can be rigidly enforced. So nothing like with USA airlines.

For AU depending on route have JQ, QF, VA Virgin Australia, REX and Bonza.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Makes no difference. Point to point pricing.
Be very aware of what you buying, (seat, carryon, checked bags) Carry on weight-size limits can be rigidly enforced. So nothing like with USA airlines.

For AU depending on route have JQ, QF, VA Virgin Australia, REX and Bonza.
Thanks. Yes, very different I see. We're looking at flights MEL-AYQ-SYD and Virgins's schedule isn't working. I was telling the Mrs. last night that we have to figure out our luggage before I buy a plane ticket. That's so different indeed.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 8:15 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Thanks. Yes, very different I see. We're looking at flights MEL-AYQ-SYD and Virgins's schedule isn't working. I was telling the Mrs. last night that we have to figure out our luggage before I buy a plane ticket. That's so different indeed.
Shouldn't be a problem. Just expect to get exactly what you pay for. Alternatively you can also fly to ASP and drive to Uluru, potentially completing the Mereenie Loop.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Shouldn't be a problem. Just expect to get exactly what you pay for. Alternatively you can also fly to ASP and drive to Uluru, potentially completing the Mereenie Loop.
Yeah, ASP is not really an option (for us) but thanks. This will be just one component of a longer trip.

I am totally unfamiliar with Jetstar, made a dummy booking just to see all the options and it feels like trying to hit one of those moving targets with a pea shooter at the state fair. I'll probably buy the Plus or Max fare, but it's the 7 kg or 14 kg on the carry-on that I have absolutely no idea about before I even think about packing that gets me. Can we add and/or change the weight of our bags after we book and before we get to the airport?

Last edited by dwcatty; Mar 29, 2024 at 9:42 am Reason: clarification
Old Mar 29, 2024, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just buy a bundle. You can pay for more checked bags at check in, but costs more per kg. Carry on weight-size limits can be rigidly enforced.
https://www.jetstar.com/au/en/help/a...es-and-bundles

AYQ has VA, JQ & QF. All QF fares include a checked bag allowance.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayers_Rock_Airport

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 29, 2024 at 1:29 pm
Old Mar 30, 2024, 4:30 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
You are over thinking it.

yes, you can take a one way flight into AYQ and a different airline out. In AI airfares are combined one way.

AU is not like US in terms of carryon, if you have a small bag you are 7kg, if you have a larger rolly, you are closer to 14kg. Just pay, as the penalty at the gate is harsh. We do not take that much on board, and with US style carry on, you will stick out….

with JQ you get no alliance benefits, so just err on caution, with QF and VA you get either one world or united benefits if you have them.

so if in doubt, pick max, up the hand luggage to 14kg, and checked to 30kg, and then do not sweat it. You will spend far more time online asking questions and trying to nut it out, than the $AUD 50 price difference is worth.

just imagine you are on an airline with no benefits, that will weigh your bags and plan accordingly. JQ will weigh at auto checkin and the gate. They like revenue….

KF
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
You are over thinking it.

We do not take that much on board, and with US style carry on, you will stick out….

...so if in doubt, pick max, up the hand luggage to 14kg, and checked to 30kg, and then do not sweat it.
Well, yes. It's just so...different.

Interesting cultural difference. Reminds me of trying to get a large, to-go cup of coffee in France.

And I had pretty much decided to do exactly that.

FWIW, VA doesn't fly MEL-AYQ non-stop every day, just four days a week, and apparently not one of the days I want to fly. I'll look at QF to SYD - I thought their fares were significantly higher, but maybe not.

Thanks.

Last edited by dwcatty; Mar 30, 2024 at 5:44 am Reason: clarification
Old Mar 30, 2024, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Well, yes. It's just so...different.

Interesting cultural difference. Reminds me of trying to get a large, to-go cup of coffee in France.

And I had pretty much decided to do exactly that.

FWIW, VA doesn't fly MEL-AYQ non-stop every day, just four days a week, and apparently not one of the days I want to fly. I'll look at QF to SYD - I thought their fares were significantly higher, but maybe not.

Thanks.

"Toto, I've a feeling we are not in Kansas anymore..." Outside the US? Yes, things are different. You are unlikely to find things like 'gate checking' large bags as well.

Noting you are AA Gold, then QF might be appropriate for some of the sectors if the overall schedule suits. Also have a look at getting an AA Award ticket, the mileage needed is not too bad, and it might be a cheaper solution than buying a revenue ticket.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Mar 30, 2024 at 10:11 pm
Old Mar 31, 2024, 7:01 am

Programs: QF WP
I must have great luck as in 100+ JQ sectors I’ve had my carry on weighed once. It was over and I paid something like $60 for the upgrades allowance. I like to call this kind of thing my “lazy tax”

that was at ADL in case anyone was wondering and I gather they are sticklers for it
Old Mar 31, 2024, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Many thanks for all the information. We'll be taking a half dozen flights on Air NZ but not to AYQ. This is enlightening. We'll learn to pack as much as we can in the checked bag, and only carry on a small bag. Definitely not the American way, lol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.