Search

Air China J experiences

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2016, 6:50 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA ,Qantas ,Southwest
Air China J experiences

As it does not have a Forum , I thought to ask if anyone here has any recent J experiences on Air China.I bought a steal of a ticket from HND via PEK to LHR but business class is not reviewed in too many places and reviewers are bi polar on coach,the main flight is a 777ER with flat bed ,I have an IPAD and instant noodles if the entertainment/food is below par.
What might I expect ??
Thanks in advance

Last edited by rduer; Nov 13, 2016 at 7:05 pm
Old Nov 13, 2016, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
I flew their 747-800 JFK-PEK in F, and it was very nice. Much, much better than UA. I walked through their J Cabin to get to F (remember it was the 747-800) and the J looked nice. I cannot imagine the service and food in J was much lower than F and that was great. I would fly them again in J ( and esp in F :-) Food and entertainment were better than UA and the FA spoke good enough English
Old Nov 13, 2016, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
(I assume this will get moved from the UA forum.)

Air China is good in J. Food service is good and FAST. It always annoys me though that (on long-haul flights) at the end of first meal service there is a choice of dessert OR cheese: I want both!

They seem to keep their cabins warmer than UA, so their nice & thick blanket seems to be TOO nice and TOO thick for my comfort.

Just came off AKL-PEK (CA784) which was recently changed from A330 to 789. Their [older] A330s in their fleet have rather annoying/awkward seats, but this newer 789 layout is comparable to UA's current offering and is nice. Not sure if they have the older or newer seats in the 777 you will encounter.

Originally Posted by TonyBurr
Food and entertainment were better than UA....
In my experience that is not the case - on both accounts: food is comparable and not better, but entertainment is severely lacking. The system is neat and works well, but their movie selection is rather thin. They do have some interesting movie choices, but alas they are frequently only in Chinese. Latest such offering was some Louis de Funès flick.

Last edited by narvik; Nov 13, 2016 at 7:57 pm Reason: added
Old Nov 13, 2016, 9:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
If you have IFE no brainer go with CA especially price wise.

CA J is consistent. Not gonna be bad, not gonna be good. Still better than UA.
gpeso8 likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
The CA 777 J seats are virtually the same as those on UA's sCO planes; how on earth could they be superior? These seats have much softer cushioning than most other Asian carriers' seats, which to me is a big plus. Seats on the 330's are much firmer.

IFE is severely lacking for western pax.

I have found food to be at least as good on flights ex-USA, but dismal ex-PEK. Beverages are comparable, but they do not seem to be offered as freely as on most other carriers.

No problems with FA service.

Last edited by l etoile; Nov 23, 2016 at 11:39 pm Reason: Removed quote of deleted post
Old Nov 14, 2016, 3:40 am

Flew SFO/PEK/SIN on J on their 747-400 version.

SFO/PEK on 747 and PEK/SIN on 777

In terms of food and services, it is much better than UA.

Few hours layover in PEK and got to enjoy their premium lounge, it was a great experience.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 9:52 am

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
I had very low expectations the first time I flew CA J, and they were greatly exceeded, I have flown them several other times.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 2:05 am

Hi -

My thoughts on Air China TPAC J flights:

1) When they take your meal order, they tell you what time you will be served. Drinks usually come quickly after the seat belt sign comes off. They take the menu after you order.

2) I find they are sometimes too quick in taking away meals trays, newspapers, half-filled drinks when you are napping, etc.

3) You have to ask for refills, but they are prompt when asked. In this respect they are like Cathay Pacific (versus, say SQ, where the glass never gets below half empty).

4) English IFE is poor when compared to other carriers, both foreign and domestic.

5) J lounge in PEK is nice. Food varied and plentiful; sleep/rest chambers; nice shower facilities. Internet access is a little clumsy.

6) I have only flown 777 and A330-300. Both lie flats; I find the footwell on the 777 a little narrow, but the length on the A330 a little short for me -- I am 6'3". Also J is 2-2-2, not 1-2-1 -- meaning that center aisle is the only way to avoid crawling over a seat mate to use the lavatory.

7) Transiting in PEK can be long and chaotic unlike HKG -- be sure to allow extra time for connections.

8) In the same vein, I have heard that IRROPS can be poor when compared to other global carriers -- though I have not had any first-hand experience.

All things considered, CA is a good value for the money. Also the CA FFP is competitive with other *A programs.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 6:14 am

Business Class Pitch

I am interested in purchasing a biz-class ticket on Air China EWR-PEK route. I usually use UA miles/copay but the Air China price looks great. There's one thing that bothers me, the pitch of the J-class seats is much shorter than that of the UA.

Pitch:
Air China J-Class: 60"
UA J-Class: 76-78"

Are there any 6" travelers out there who have experienced both UA and Air China seats and can comment? Giving up 18" seems like a lot!

Cheers,
Cheez

EDIT: AC and CA are not the same airline. I (and others) were using them interchangeably. I think OP was referring to AC-Air China.
EDIT #2: Air China and China Airlines are not the same Airline Not sure the acronyms.

Last edited by cheez2112; Nov 15, 2016 at 12:22 pm
Old Nov 15, 2016, 11:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cheez2112

EDIT: AC and CA are not the same airline. I (and others) were using them interchangeably. I think OP was referring to AC-Air China.
AC = Air Canada!
Old Nov 15, 2016, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
AC = Air Canada!
Oops!
Old Nov 15, 2016, 12:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Oops!
No biggie; this comes up fairly often.

For the sake of clarity:

AC = Air Canada
CA = Air China
CI = China Airlines
Old Nov 15, 2016, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Orwaid
7) Transiting in PEK can be long and chaotic unlike HKG -- be sure to allow extra time for connections.
This in spades. A delay out of Xi'an turned a 5 hour layover into 2.5, and we barely made the connection. The people we let get off the plane first due to their 90 minute connection to LAX were going back out of departures just as we finally cleared security. They were on their way back out front to try to sort things out up front after missing their flight since there was no one in departures to help them.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
I am interested in purchasing a biz-class ticket on Air China EWR-PEK route. I usually use UA miles/copay but the Air China price looks great. There's one thing that bothers me, the pitch of the J-class seats is much shorter than that of the UA.

Pitch:

Are there any 6" travelers out there who have experienced both UA and Air China seats and can comment? Giving up 18" seems like a lot!
CA & UA business seats on the 777's are virtually identical, in particular UA's sCO 777: 2-2-2 with a tiny footwell.

Where did you get your seat pitch measurements from?
Old Nov 15, 2016, 11:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver

Pitch:
NO! SEATGURU IS WRONG! I bet they were lobbied to do that.

The 2 seats are identical. No questions no additions.

If you're going EWR-PEK no brainer take CA. If you're connecting at PEK than 2nd thoughts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.